•  

Importance of wearing shoes in the desert

Shamil

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

I agree dude on walking with kgs of sand is no fun. To this problem I found a solution by chance to wear a boot cut Jeans that snuggly cover the shoe neck and prevent sand seeping in 90 out of 100 times. 

I hated the military shoes long neck as you cant drive comfortably for long with tight hold of ankle and calf area.

That's the thing, I never laced up above the ankle tight but kept them pretty loose, hence I could slip in and out of them like full length cowboy boots. Didn't need to lace them up or use the side zips. So they were pretty loose above and didn't hinder any mobility first because they were loose and the material on the ankles was padded fabric and not leather or thick material and pretty flexible,  

The only time I laced them up was the one time I bought them and they lasted a good 7-8 years of daily abuse in the desert and wadis. Till the day I got rod of then I never touched the laces.

Image result for cowboy boots

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/2/2019 at 11:46 PM, desertdude said:

That's the thing, I never laced up above the ankle tight but kept them pretty loose, hence I could slip in and out of them like full length cowboy boots. Didn't need to lace them up or use the side zips. So they were pretty loose above and didn't hinder any mobility first because they were loose and the material on the ankles was padded fabric and not leather or thick material and pretty flexible,  

The only time I laced them up was the one time I bought them and they lasted a good 7-8 years of daily abuse in the desert and wadis. Till the day I got rod of then I never touched the laces.

Image result for cowboy boots

If I was in America I would totally wear those boots but I don’t think I could pull the look off here without looking like a douche. 

I used to wear these at home all the time. Fleece lined. Perfect when the average temperature is around 10 degrees but you would end up with trench foot quickly wearing them here  

F154427A-8C12-4787-931B-34752FCEE5CF.jpeg.cb5f6732bae1127dccafd4d9ab978df7.jpeg

I swear by caterpillar in this climate. Had the same pair for 3 years. Had a new set of laces and glued the soles a couple of times but they’re still going strong. I don’t lace them up full either, just to the bottom of the ankle the spin the lace around the leg a couple of times. Can slip them on and off like trainers.

Never mind snakes, it’s just common sense to wear boots. Sandals and flip flops are for the beach or around the house. I have always religiously worn  boots when I’m doing anything, apart from this one time last year. I was super hungover one morning, like the kind of hungover where you don’t know if you’re really hungover or you’re still drunk. I was managing an important project and I knew I couldn’t take the day off but I was so sick I couldn’t even bend over to tie my laces so I slipped on a pair of flip flops and went to work. After a few coffees and lots of fizzy water I sobered up around lunchtime. When it came time to go home, I started packing up all my tools. I picked up a 9” grinder, dropped it on my foot and broke 3 of my toes. I had no insurance so no doctor, suffered with it for around 3 months. Never ever again did I go to do anything without wearing my boots. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Totally agree @Barry that closed shoes/boots should come automatically than making a choice.

I feel the problem is the impression you get from advertisement, lifestyle magazine, social media videos showing up people sitting bare feet or with sandals in the sand. This take away applied to offroad drive without using common sense is simply astonishing. 

We do take off our closed shoes off while sitting down on a mat or lying flat on my recliner chair, but that doesn't mean that people should see that 15 min impression and multiply that with 6 hours drive.

After a continuous warning and briefing points, I still see people showing up in sandals with some or the other excuses.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

4 hours ago, Barry said:

If I was in America I would totally wear those boots but I don’t think I could pull the look off here without looking like a douche. 

I used to wear these at home all the time. Fleece lined. Perfect when the average temperature is around 10 degrees but you would end up with trench foot quickly wearing them here  

F154427A-8C12-4787-931B-34752FCEE5CF.jpeg.cb5f6732bae1127dccafd4d9ab978df7.jpeg

I swear by caterpillar in this climate. Had the same pair for 3 years. Had a new set of laces and glued the soles a couple of times but they’re still going strong. I don’t lace them up full either, just to the bottom of the ankle the spin the lace around the leg a couple of times. Can slip them on and off like trainers.

Never mind snakes, it’s just common sense to wear boots. Sandals and flip flops are for the beach or around the house. I have always religiously worn  boots when I’m doing anything, apart from this one time last year. I was super hungover one morning, like the kind of hungover where you don’t know if you’re really hungover or you’re still drunk. I was managing an important project and I knew I couldn’t take the day off but I was so sick I couldn’t even bend over to tie my laces so I slipped on a pair of flip flops and went to work. After a few coffees and lots of fizzy water I sobered up around lunchtime. When it came time to go home, I started packing up all my tools. I picked up a 9” grinder, dropped it on my foot and broke 3 of my toes. I had no insurance so no doctor, suffered with it for around 3 months. Never ever again did I go to do anything without wearing my boots. 

Way back in the day even before I was doing Safaris. I wore cowboy boots all the time. They look pretty snazzy IMO plus it went with the rocker look I was rocking back then.

Provided you don't tuck your jeans in the boots like a douche. But they are not for everyone. They do have a bit of a heel meant to lock stirrups in place between the heel ans sole when riding. So you will feel a bit odd at first. But like everything else you get used to it.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use