•  
Advertise here

Ford Ranger Raptor

So Ford is coming out with a Ford Ranger Raptor, which looks amazing and is probably quite capable to take Off-road looking at the reviews i've found so far.

On the other hand, looking at the engine, It's a 4 cylinder, 2 liter, twin-turbo engine pumping out 210bhp  but delivering 500nm torque and coupled to a 10-speed gearbox.😕

In terms of technology i think the engine is a great step ahead, but it makes me wonder how long this turbo would survive from weekly offroad dune-bashing stuff ? Is this the kind of car that would allow you to go on Faya at 3000rpm ???

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Well looks like Ford following the footsteps of Raptor bringing down V8 - 6.2 to V6 with twin turbo.

Hope they don't fall in Range Rover mindset of keeping RR with 3.0 and when sales dip they brought back the V8.

For 64,000 Euro = 264,000 dhs this Ford Ranger raptor must be good.

Running 33 inch BFG must be dead heavy for dunes with 2.0 litre having 210 hp and this big body.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 hours ago, Frederic said:

So Ford is coming out with a Ford Ranger Raptor, which looks amazing and is probably quite capable to take Off-road looking at the reviews i've found so far.

On the other hand, looking at the engine, It's a 4 cylinder, 2 liter, twin-turbo engine pumping out 210bhp  but delivering 500nm torque and coupled to a 10-speed gearbox.😕

In terms of technology i think the engine is a great step ahead, but it makes me wonder how long this turbo would survive from weekly offroad dune-bashing stuff ? Is this the kind of car that would allow you to go on Faya at 3000rpm ???

At 3000rpm. It's not a diesel! Turbocharged gas engines most of the torque lies in the upper rpm band. And 210hp also in the higher rpm bands. 

So with such a big heavy pickup with huge tyres you'll be pretty much struggling most of the times to hit the power band unless you get big clear run ups without any ruts 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I agree with @desertdude. With the turbo off roading will not be easy in sands where you need low end torque. Plus at the price tag I'd rather go for something cheap and modify it ever so slightly to give me what I need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

46 minutes ago, desertdude said:

At 3000rpm. It's not a diesel! Turbocharged gas engines most of the torque lies in the upper rpm band. And 210hp also in the higher rpm bands. 

So with such a big heavy pickup with huge tyres you'll be pretty much struggling most of the times to hit the power band unless you get big clear run ups without any ruts 

Yes it is @desertdude

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

Yes it is @desertdude

Yes it is, that means its even more crap! Upon further investigation it's called the Euro raptor be cause no one else is interested in a diesel version. 

ROW of the wold gets a 3.5 V6 which should be much better.

Remember in sand along with torque you need momentum and diesel just doesn't have it.

• Like (+1) 1