•  
Advertise here

Are you mentally healthy......?

Gaurav

People shouldn’t be so scared to talk about mental health issues. It’s no big secret to anyone who knows me but I deal with being bipolar every day and I’m still dealing with mild schizophrenia from years of taking lsd and mushrooms amongst all the other crazy shit I did before I came to uae. I wouldn’t change it because it shapes who I am and the way I see the world. I have a good wife who understands me and is very patient with me when I’m being crazy or unreasonable and having someone like that to talk to when things are rough makes life worth living. 

Social media like Facebook, Instagram etc is a cancer that affects people in ways that they don’t even realise. Sometimes I’m on the train and I see rows of people with their face glued to their phone just scrolling up and down the same few Facebook posts and I think to myself, you poor bastard, you don’t even know. 

Nobody has a perfect life and social media isn’t an accurate reflection of real life. People usually only post the best of the best stuff. I know people who haven’t got 2 washers to rub together in their pocket and are living on rice, sleeping in bed spaces, but if you looked at their social media accounts, you would think they were living the Dubai millionaire lifestyle. 

I deleted all my social media accounts a long time ago, it just wasn’t good for my head at all. I recently signed back up to Facebook for work purposes but I ended up deleting it after 2 weeks. Some people might think this sounds paranoid but my phone was listening to me and relaying the information to Facebook. I was getting friend recommendations for people I don’t know, have no connection to and had literally only spoken to for a few seconds. I was getting ads for things I had never searched online for but had been talking to people about. 

The internet is an amazing thing. There’s so many websites, so much information, so much to learn, but some people only revolve between Facebook and instagram and maybe a google search here and there. Social media mobile data packages only compound the problem. People are being encouraged and rewarded to visit these dross sites. Give everyone free access to Wikipedia instead, it would do a lot more good in the world, or maybe getting people to stick to social media is a good way to create subservient citizens instead of creating free minds. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

23 hours ago, Barry said:

People shouldn’t be so scared to talk about mental health issues. It’s no big secret to anyone who knows me but I deal with being bipolar every day and I’m still dealing with mild schizophrenia from years of taking lsd and mushrooms amongst all the other crazy shit I did before I came to uae. I wouldn’t change it because it shapes who I am and the way I see the world. I have a good wife who understands me and is very patient with me when I’m being crazy or unreasonable and having someone like that to talk to when things are rough makes life worth living. 

Social media like Facebook, Instagram etc is a cancer that affects people in ways that they don’t even realise. Sometimes I’m on the train and I see rows of people with their face glued to their phone just scrolling up and down the same few Facebook posts and I think to myself, you poor bastard, you don’t even know. 

Nobody has a perfect life and social media isn’t an accurate reflection of real life. People usually only post the best of the best stuff. I know people who haven’t got 2 washers to rub together in their pocket and are living on rice, sleeping in bed spaces, but if you looked at their social media accounts, you would think they were living the Dubai millionaire lifestyle. 

I deleted all my social media accounts a long time ago, it just wasn’t good for my head at all. I recently signed back up to Facebook for work purposes but I ended up deleting it after 2 weeks. Some people might think this sounds paranoid but my phone was listening to me and relaying the information to Facebook. I was getting friend recommendations for people I don’t know, have no connection to and had literally only spoken to for a few seconds. I was getting ads for things I had never searched online for but had been talking to people about. 

The internet is an amazing thing. There’s so many websites, so much information, so much to learn, but some people only revolve between Facebook and instagram and maybe a google search here and there. Social media mobile data packages only compound the problem. People are being encouraged and rewarded to visit these dross sites. Give everyone free access to Wikipedia instead, it would do a lot more good in the world, or maybe getting people to stick to social media is a good way to create subservient citizens instead of creating free minds. 

We are "connected" like never before, yet the number of lonely people have never been higher because we simply fail to do an effort to go out and meet other people. 

I totally agree that social media is a very tricky thing, and addictive. I am using most platforms and sometimes i indeed realize the mountain of time i would have saved if i would have left that device aside instead of scrolling and not finding anything.

If you simply calculate 2 hours average usage per day, times 365, that makes 730 hours per year. One could learn a new hobby, read tons of books or listen to music, or do other useful things instead, like meeting other people.

Yet i keep a positive note to this connectivity as it enables us to stay in touch with or loved ones around the world, find useful information or teach ourselves DIY stuff from watching tutorials, etc.. etc... the possibilities are endless.

In my opinion we are currently in a technological transition phase, where humanity eventually will become 24/7 connected with sensors, projected data, and highly advanced systems. We have however no clue yet if this will really improve our lives our not. Results will vary from "Demolition Man", to "Ex Machine", "Total Recall", or "Her" :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

Results will vary from "Demolition Man", to "Ex Machine", "Total Recall", or "Her" :) 

SUPERB, VERY WELL SAID

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Everything has its goods and bads. We as humans have a choice and have to understand and take appropriate action. We as humans can only improve, so let's work towards a better future. Take advantage of the technology on hand and not get carried away by everything we see. Satisfaction does not come from a new car, a better watch or branded cloths, it comes from within. Always be thankful to God for what you have.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Not big on social media only have a facebook account which I just browse through everyday to see what my peeps are doing. And WhatsApp ofcourse to keep in touch.

Never got into the instagram Snapchat Pinterest etc etc game.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Social media fills a role specially for us expats to keep in touch with friends and families but there is A LOT of garbage on there to. Some people don't know how to use it as a contact to your loved once or some casual entertainment and get stuck as it is easy gratification for your brain and chemically it acts the same on your brains happiness center ans some drugs.

So there will come a change in the future i just hope it will be for the better.

/Per

• Like (+1) 1