•  
Advertise here

Buying a car from auctions in UAE: good or bad idea?

If you’re smart about it and know the market and import/export costs there is money to be made. American muscle cars sell for buttons here. People buy them and don’t know what to do with them. They then lose all their value. I know people who make a decent living buying muscle cars here and then ship them back to the states. 

If you’re going to buy stuff like tiidas and corollas you’re going to lose. 

You need to be smart about it, know what you’re buying. I used to buy auction cars all the time at home. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you end up with a ball of dung. 

Buying muscle cars and shipping them to the states is a win win situation. Americans are crying out for these cars

do your research. This is only my advice 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Emmanuel said:

I would be curious to know how risky is this way to acquire a private car.  Anyone bought his car from auctions, Emirates Auction or other platforms? 

What do you intend to do with it/them. Personal use or flip them for profit? One that is sorted out then I can let you know what's the deal. 

I personally haven't bought from Emirates Auction because the price always sucks because towards the end people have no self control and end up over bidding for what the car is or going to be worth.

I do have a friend who did biy one from Emirates Auction and it was a real run around to get the papers of the car, as some cars are being sold under court orders and they don't help you at all in this and you have to do your own run around to get the papers 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, desertdude said:

What do you intend to do with it/them. Personal use or flip them for profit? One that is sorted out then I can let you know what's the deal. 

Explain on both scenario, I'm really curious to know as few times I watch these auction and didnt find any way to come out with a good deal.

I even tried the sellanycar dealer site by keeping a deposit and still didnt find anything lucrative tbh. Just borderline OK.

It all started with my own use, then jobless friend jumped in with free time and cash but no knowledge on cars, so I thought of helping him but never got lucky. Later he got the job, then I collected my deposit back.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

41 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Explain on both scenario, I'm really curious to know as few times I watch these auction and didnt find any way to come out with a good deal.

I even tried the sellanycar dealer site by keeping a deposit and still didnt find anything lucrative tbh. Just borderline OK.

It all started with my own use, then jobless friend jumped in with free time and cash but no knowledge on cars, so I thought of helping him but never got lucky. Later he got the job, then I collected my deposit back.

Are we talking damaged cars or non damaged. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

I don’t intend to do anything, actually, I am just curious. Is it (or can it be) a good option to buy a car for personal use ? Or even for export ? Has someone in Carnity ever tried it ? 

38 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Are we talking damaged cars or non damaged.

Non damaged

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

52 minutes ago, Emmanuel said:

I don’t intend to do anything, actually, I am just curious. Is it (or can it be) a good option to buy a car for personal use ? Or even for export ? Has someone in Carnity ever tried it ? 

Non damaged

In that case no not really. But never say never, I've seen a few Good parts cars come along. But never say never. There have been some cars I've seen that could be considered decent deals. But I'm always looking for the mostly non jap non economical cars. 

It's worth downloading the test sheet and if really serious go and have a look at the car yourself in the flesh. 

People are stupid and have no self control and towards the trip end of the auction most cars get into a bidding war and sold for more than what they are really worth. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, desertdude said:

In that case no not really. But never say never, I've seen a few Good parts cars come along. But never say never. There have been some cars I've seen that could be considered decent deals. But I'm always looking for the mostly non jap non economical cars. 

It's worth downloading the test sheet and if really serious go and have a look at the car yourself in the flesh. 

People are stupid and have no self control and towards the trip end of the auction most cars get into a bidding war and sold for more than what they are really worth. 

Auction fever does not only apply to cars. I've seen people afflicted by auction fever buy all sorts of used rubbish for twice or even three times the amount they would have paid for a new piece of rubbish, but I guess that is how auctioneers make much of their living. 

• Like (+1) 2

It's a hoax. At one point I had AED 5k on my pocket and used to be regular to one of the auction houses to decide if I want to give my car to them for sale. However after a few sit ins noticed that same faces every time from used car showrooms trying to create an atmosphere where they tried to over bid their own cars and at times trashed some personnel ones to get them dirt cheap. I would not recommend you to go through that channel. Some of these are abandoned cars and don't have keys, plus have been ripped apart to get in to them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1