•  
Advertise here

ISS over UAE - 9-13, 23 Jun 2019

Gaurav

4 hours ago, treks said:

Buying an expensive scope at this point could be a costly mistake.

That's what I dont want to do. Unfortunately no such groups exist here just facebook pages who just poat pics. 

• Like (+1) 1

OK, it seems I misread the quick Google search I had done for astronomy clubs there. I have found this though- 

http://www.althurayaastronomycenter.ae/about-us

Is that still in operation, or has it also closed up shop? 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, treks said:

OK, it seems I misread the quick Google search I had done for astronomy clubs there. I have found this though- 

http://www.althurayaastronomycenter.ae/about-us

Is that still in operation, or has it also closed up shop? 

I looked into these either they charge an arm and a leg for events they hold ( and reviews for these events have been less than favourable ) or only open to schools and uni students that also with official requests from the schools or uni.

• Like (+1) 1

OK, so we are going to have to this ourselves. Can you give me an estimate on the amount of money you want to spend? If you have about $1000 US available, I can make some suggestions that will get you going with the least amount of hassle. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, treks said:

OK, so we are going to have to this ourselves. Can you give me an estimate on the amount of money you want to spend? If you have about $1000 US available, I can make some suggestions that will get you going with the least amount of hassle. 

First of all I don't want to spend no where near that much for something I might use once! I going basic, real basic I saw this german starter kit which only has the lenses and rest you gotta build with pvc pipes and adapters. Saw a legit comparison video review and results were very decent. I'll see if I can find the video again and post it here.

• Like (+1) 1

One of my suggestions would have been to build your own scope, but be wary of the lenses/mirrors you get in these kits. You may strike it lucky and get decent optics, but in my experience, you need a great deal of luck for this to happen. 

Just as a point of interest, what was the PVC scope compared with?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, treks said:

One of my suggestions would have been to build your own scope, but be wary of the lenses/mirrors you get in these kits. You may strike it lucky and get decent optics, but in my experience, you need a great deal of luck for this to happen. 

Just as a point of interest, what was the PVC scope compared with?

The 2nd and the only DIY telescope in the test and beats a celestron. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, desertdude said:

The 2nd and the only DIY telescope in the test and beats a celestron. 

It's very easy to beat Celestrons, since they are mass-produced in China, as most other makes are. As a point of interest, when you compare "identical" scopes from the same Chinese factory, you will almost certainly get as many different test results as the number of scopes you are testing.  

• Like (+1) 1