•  
Advertise here

Shifting issue from 1 to 2

When I first bought my Jeep it was shifting bit rough. Than I found out that oil level was less. When we add 1lt oil it started shifting like a dream. 

Lately(probably after my last off road drive I got transmission over heat light) i feel like it is having issue to shift between 1 to 2. If I am speeding properly it is shifting OK but if I am driving very slowly or accelerating slowly it shifting roughly. What I mean it is shaking the car. It is like it can't decide to stay on 1 or shifting 2. I feel like it is going 2 than 1 than again 2. 

I am thinking maybe since the transmission got over heat oil got bad and I need to change oil. I guess the bad option is transmission got damage. what is your ideas? 

Other than the shifting 1-2 all other gears shifting very very smooth even 2-1 down shift is good. 

Edited by sertac
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, desertdude said:

Maybe you burnt your ATF does it look brown and smells burnt or pinkish redish and smell sweet.

It look brownish but not so dark. I didn't smell it. I will check the smell also. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well it shouldn't be brown, start with flushing, not draining and refill, but complete flush and refill to see if it fixes the issue.

hqdefault.jpg

6 hours ago, sertac said:

It look brownish but not so dark. I didn't smell it. I will check the smell also. 

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

And pray you didn't burn your 1st and 2nd clutch. When I read your offtoading post I was going to say don't stick it on 1 and 2 and keep it there for long because you might end up overheating and burning the clutches. Most probably that's what caused your trans to overheat in the first place

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

27 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Well it shouldn't be brown, start with flushing, not draining and refill, but complete flush and refill to see if it fixes the issue.

hqdefault.jpg

It is like the middle one. 

22 minutes ago, desertdude said:

And pray you didn't burn your 1st and 2nd clutch. When I read your offtoading post I was going to say don't stick it on 1 and 2 and keep it there for long because you might end up overheating and burning the clutches. Most probably that's what caused your trans to overheat in the first place

Actually i am not keeping it on 1 or 2. Whenever i am going around bowl or something, i am engaging it to make it not to shift. Only for few seconds. 

• Like (+1) 1

I concur, do a full flush, not just drain the sump and refill. If you don’t flush, you’re still left with dirty oil in the torque converter, valves etc. We have a flushing machine in the shop. Haven’t tested it yet, just saw it sitting in the corner. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Some people are saying that flushing in higher mileage car is not good.

Some saying flush is best some saying just drain and change, keeping some old oil is good because transmission got used to it. 

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/transmission-fluid-change-flush-can-cause-problems-618496/

• Like (+1) 1