•  
Advertise here

What’s the most stupid car you ever owned?

Barry

For me it has to be an orange Volvo/DAF 55. I have a fetish for oddball cars. It showed up in a scrapyard one day and I said I have to save that. I never thought about why the owner scrapped it. I loved the belt drive CVT. The transmission was super weird and the car would go as fast in reverse as it would forward. I tried it once. Going 60 mph backwards is the scariest thing I ever did. I loved the shape of the car so I planned to fit a 2.0 pinto and type 9 gearbox along with an atlas back axle. There was no space to widen the transmission tunnel, only room for 2 pedals on the floor. Hands down the most stupid car I ever bought. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 1

If I share my honestly, it will create a chaos here.

For the sake of clarity, define stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Most stupid car I ever owned was a 2001 GCC specs. Jeep Cherokee 150k kms on the clock, well maintained and taken care and loved to death by a British expat lady since new. 

I sold it the first chance I had after 3 -6 months of owning it,Can't even remember how long I owned it since I'm trying to erase that part of my life.  And was probably the only car I was happy to see go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I have made 2 mistakes in my life. My Renault Megan's, which I bought due to my great experience with a Renault Clio. Even paid a bit more to get with warranty from the dealer, but every service I was handed a bill which was at least 4 times to cost of the service to some failure not covered by warranty.

My second mistake was my 2nd Jeep Commander which I got with my great experience with the first one. However as the story unfolded the 2nd one was an American Import which kept giving me lot of issues and within an year had to sell it for peanuts as the Oman market closed any cars over 10 years old. Hard lessons learned in both cases.

• Like (+1) 1

For me it was two entry model cars that I had purchased.

The first was a Chevrolet Optra bought brand new from the showroom. The car expired just after 3 years of usage. Everything on the car was falling apart and finally scrapped the vehicle just after the loan got over.

The next and the biggest mistake was trusting a Nissan. I bought two brand new Sentra from the showroom and both of the CVT gearboxes failed like clockwise precision which I recently had to rebuild.

Lesson learnt is that when it comes to entry level cars it's better to go with a trustable brand like Toyota or Honda as the cars made at this segment are with cheap material. And yes of course, stay away from CVT.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

For me it was two entry model cars that I had purchased.

The first was a Chevrolet Optra bought brand new from the showroom. The car expired just after 3 years of usage. Everything on the car was falling apart and finally scrapped the vehicle just after the loan got over.

The next and the biggest mistake was trusting a Nissan. I bought two brand new Sentra from the showroom and both of the CVT gearboxes failed like clockwise precision which I recently had to rebuild.

Lesson learnt is that when it comes to entry level cars it's better to go with a trustable brand like Toyota or Honda as the cars made at this segment are with cheap material. And yes of course, stay away from CVT.

Currently Toyota and Honda also coming with CVT. There is no proper gearbox from Japan`s anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

My worst mistake was 2 door Toyota Camry, i was new to this country and made a mistake of buying 2 door Camry imported from US .spent a lot of money to keep it in working condition but finally decided to sell , sold at same price in which i bought 

Its was huge and fun to drive 

• Like (+1) 1

After arriving in Saudi Arabia and looking for a fun car to drive that i could also take to the desert, I went shopping around and came across a 2008 FJ Cruiser in voodoo blue with the roof rack, stereo upgrade, cold air intake, and hardly a scratch. Mileage was a bit high at around 200,000 kms but it was the best looking FJ in the area after weeks of searching. Fast forward a few weeks when I go into a small patch of desert near to the compound where I’m living and get stuck immediately, although i deflated and ASSUMED this was a permanent 4x4. 

Well, this US model was a 2WD.... hence the low selling price 😔😔

Kept it another year and then left Saudi, but that was a hard lesson learned not to be falling in love too quickly and hasty. But the car itself was fantastic as pretty fast. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• 2 weeks later...

First car i had, first mistake! "Opel Manta 1980 Berlinetta" 80 slightly tired horses was not able to overtake any car what so ever, winters in Sweden carburetor froze while driving and car died have to wait about 10 min and could drive for a while again until it froze again... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Per A said:

First car i had, first mistake! "Opel Manta 1980 Berlinetta" 80 slightly tired horses was not able to overtake any car what so ever, winters in Sweden carburetor froze while driving and car died have to wait about 10 min and could drive for a while again until it froze again... 

As most of my family and especially my uncles all drove Opel, The Manta A and B series, and then the Corsa, Kadett, and Astra models are part of my youth growing up. I can still recall the smell of the lightbrown perforated leather seats of the Manta my uncle used to have, and was totally in love with the Manta GT/E. A friend of mine still has the Kadett GT/E which he uses for oldtimer meetings. 

Opel however was known for rusting faster than the speed of light, especially on the wheel arches. Technically they had their hits and misses but if i ever come across an Opel GT, or Manta A in good condition i'd be shouting "TAKE MY MONEY" :) 

GT.jpg

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."