•  
Advertise here

Fuel Economy - 2015 Pathfinder SV

A good friend of mine has a 2015 Pathfinder, in a recent talk he told me that the fuel economy is low in the car about 5 KM/liter.. i was quite shocked to hear that. Any real world experience in UAE?  His usage is very low (30K in 4 years). I drove the car today and felt that it was not powerful in the lower gears; i felt that the transmission was sluggish and felt the rubber banding of the CVT. Can this be related to the low fuel economy? The Fuel tank is about half full and the car suggests that it will run for only 160 KM's.

Can you provide inputs on this situation? The car is serviced only in Nissan; have tried complaining in the service center once and did not make a long term difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 L/100 is def too bad for 3.5 liter NA engine. My 5.0 liter Range Supercharge give 14-17 L/100. My wifey 4.2 liter NA trail blazer gives 15-16 L/100.

Is your friend always driving in stop and go traffic like in bur dubai, satwa, karama kind of traffic? Then it explains and if yes, ask him to drive once for long distance and measure the full tank reading before complaining to dealer, so that they have some meaningful data to look and analyze the problem.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-30 at 6.31.03 PM.jpeg    WhatsApp Image 2019-06-30 at 6.31.04 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

With suck little mileage in so many years I'm guessing he only does small traffic laden start stop runs. Which the can kill the fuel economy of even the best of them

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

20 L/100 is def too bad for 3.5 liter NA engine. My 5.0 liter Range Supercharge give 14-17 L/100. My wifey 4.2 liter NA trail blazer gives 15-16 L/100.

Is your friend always driving in stop and go traffic like in bur dubai, satwa, karama kind of traffic? Then it explains and if yes, ask him to drive once for long distance and measure the full tank reading before complaining to dealer, so that they have some meaningful data to look and analyze the problem.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-30 at 6.31.03 PM.jpeg    WhatsApp Image 2019-06-30 at 6.31.04 PM.jpeg

Wow, what app is this? 

yes, you are right. the car usage is already low and his travel is only between the busy streets of burdubai and karama.. what shocked me more is the fact that the car drove terribly and felt so heavy. 

9 minutes ago, desertdude said:

With suck little mileage in so many years I'm guessing he only does small traffic laden start stop runs. Which the can kill the fuel economy of even the best of them

yes, thats there... was checking if the CVT thingy is creating a mess.. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pradeep Rajasekaran said:

Wow, what app is this? 

yes, you are right. the car usage is already low and his travel is only between the busy streets of burdubai and karama.. what shocked me more is the fact that the car drove terribly and felt so heavy. 

yes, thats there... was checking if the CVT thingy is creating a mess.. 

Yup typical CVT even my rental 2018 Yaris felt this way at slow speeds. You let go of the gas and feels like the hand brake is on and creating drag and slowing down the car. Wouldn't roll freely like a regular transmission. Takes some getting used to. But in normal and highway driving fuel economy is out of this world. I would get above 600ks of pure highway driving on a single tank of gas which was full on 70. 

P.S the car was new with only 30k kms on it so cant say it was old and worn out and acting that way

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Yup typical CVT even my rental 2018 Yaris felt this way at slow speeds. You let go of the gas and feels like the hand brake is on and creating drag and slowing down the car. Wouldn't roll freely like a regular transmission. Takes some getting used to. But in normal and highway driving fuel economy is out of this world. I would get above 600ks of pure highway driving on a single tank of gas which was full on 70. 

P.S the car was new with only 30k kms on it so cant say it was old and worn out and acting that way

It's terrible to hear.. just curious, can this be re programmed or something? 

• Like (+1) 1

Unfortunately CVT cannot be reprogrammed. The feel of the CVT is one reason for me not to go for a couple of my favorite cars. Thanks to test drives which saved me from this curse called CVT.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

But having said all this I do have to give it props for excellent fuel consumption. The OPs high fuel consumption is due to the way and circumstances it is used than the CVT itself. 

Cruising at 120 at seeing the rpm sitting at 1200-1500 is something else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Cvt is only good for fuel economy for all the other things torque transfer or speed it's crap...what you save in fuel and plus much more you will spend down the road when it gets ruined in about 150 to 190k

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1