•  
Advertise here

Fog speed limit in Abu Dhabi

Hi, guys!

Just want to warn some of you who have not heard about new Abu Dhabi restriction.

If it is foggy in Abu Dhabi emirate, then speed limit on E11, E311 and some other roads is lowered to 80km/h. Drivers should be notified by electronic boards over the road or LED signs on the right side of the road.

The thing is these boards and signs do not work! But cameras work perfectly! So you can get 4 or 5 fines easily even if you drive as slow as 90-100km/h.

Also sometimes you might think that visibility is absolutely perfect but cameras still set to 80 km/h. Considering that signs and boards do not work, it is super easy to get several fines.

https://gulfnews.com/uae/transport/road-speed-reduced-to-80-kmh-during-bad-weather-in-abu-dhabi-1.1541605789467

Be careful! 

Edited by Mikhail Lukichev
typo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

Thanks for the heads up on the matter I usually am going at 140 even when it's foggy

And that is is whyfor there are 100 car pileup in the fog

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Near my hometown in Belgium there was a massive fog pile-up incident in 1996 that caused 200 cars to crash into each other and took the lives of 10 people, with 56 heavily wounded and 30 light wounded. 

Abu-Dhabi in 2008 had similar accident where 8 people died and also 200 cars were involved.

Main reason was that there was a lake next to the highway and the fog over that lake caused a massive fog-wall that morning only on that specific area. Due to the crashes, fire started and people got killed purely from not being able to escape the fire.

I still remember this clearly and i hope to never see it again. Please drive safe whenever fog sets up and use fog lights if possible. NEVER use the hazard lights. Adjust your speed until you can ensure that you have sufficient visbility and time to react. 

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

13 hours ago, shadow79 said:

The pile up issue is because of the occasional stupid son of a gun with his hazard's on and driving 40 on the speed lane...I have encountered those c**t's...

One does notnot drive atthe 140 or anywhere close to that speed when you can hardly see beyond yourthe bonnet

Maybe you should you remove your headlights too since being able see really not needed for your superior driving skills;)

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

32 minutes ago, desertdude said:

One does notnot drive atthe 140 or anywhere close to that speed when you can hardly see beyond yourthe bonnet

Maybe you should you remove your headlights too since being able see really not needed for your superior driving skills;)

He is indeed having very superior driving skills on and offroad - Pun intended

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Setting a speed limit for adverse weather conditions is a bit daft imo. What if they set the speed limit at 80 but visibility is 20 metres? These idiots will still drive as fast as they are allowed to with no thought to stopping distances. 

You should always be able to stop in the distance you can see ahead of you. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3