•  
Advertise here

How to Avoid Sleepiness while Driving

Sidshk

2 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Sleeping on the wheel is bloody dangerous and can get people killed. Number 1 rule. Sleep well and be well rested. Number 2 if unavoidable. Pull over and take a nap before you get yourself or someother motorists killed.

Thank God I dont suffer for this even when being behind the wheel contiously for 12-18 hrs. 

Only time I was really struggling was after being at the wheel almost for 24hrs non stop luckily it was 3 am in the morning and I was very close to home, told my colleauge to take over even though he didnt have a license but I knew he could drive well on and off road and take the car back to base as it was needed in the morning.

Totally agreed but even if you sleep well on long drives in UAE you don't have anything but desert for view and its so boring u tend to lose interest in driving and feel sleepy 

Same applies for me from RAK to SHJ only desert and nothing else .... No even traffic so i can keep my self engaged 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sidshk said:

Totally agreed but even if you sleep well on long drives in UAE you don't have anything but desert for view and its so boring u tend to lose interest in driving and feel sleepy 

Same applies for me from RAK to SHJ only desert and nothing else .... No even traffic so i can keep my self engaged 😁

Sorry to say that has never happened to me. Even on that long boring 120kms dead straight to Liwa via Hameem. Even while coming back in the night in the times when it had no streets lights and all you saw was what your headlights lit up.

I just moved back to Sharjah after living in Rak for over a year. Drove to and fro on that road more times than I can remember. Last 3 months was brutal wife drove to bussiness bay at 5am and then back to rak by 9 daily.

Before that I was driving twice to Abudhabi daily for over a year

So long boring drive is no excuse in my book!

• Like (+1) 4

For me @Gaurav bhai is my saviour. While driving back more than 70% of the way we are talking over the radio or phone, so keeping the mind engaged helps to drive back home safely. I try to talk to myself about cricket discussion or how I am going to tone my trip report to keep awake rest of the way.

• Like (+1) 5

16 hours ago, desertdude said:

Sorry to say that has never happened to me. Even on that long boring 120kms dead straight to Liwa via Hameem. Even while coming back in the night in the times when it had no streets lights and all you saw was what your headlights lit up.

I just moved back to Sharjah after living in Rak for over a year. Drove to and fro on that road more times than I can remember. Last 3 months was brutal wife drove to bussiness bay at 5am and then back to rak by 9 daily.

Before that I was driving twice to Abudhabi daily for over a year

So long boring drive is no excuse in my book!

who-is-awesome-your-are-awesome.jpg.bcb33168a9bbe3fc7a118f9137dea902.jpg

BUT 

we all are different mentally and physically, some brains get switch off easily and some don't  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

22 hours ago, Gaurav said:

WOW, What a brilliant topic shared with well research facts and remedies.

Here are my two cents from driving after every week night offroad drive. Off course nothing beats a power nap if you are super tired but these few little tricks help me every time.

• Spray water on your face. Keep Evian spray can or normal water spray gun for plants handy. 
  • Chewing gum, mint, candy or soda, just something sweet or sour to kick up.
  • Eating nuts, crisp, chocolate to prevent yawning and sleep.
  • Calling and speaking to someone on phone, of course on hand free mode.
  • High tempo music (dance numbers) to keep your body esp head and neck moving.

That High tempo music part always works best. i always listen to EDM

• Like (+1) 1

Caffeine is only effective for first few hours

Having a buddy with you is more effective and is plus if he can drive too 

Power naps always ends up me twisted up feet on passenger seat waking up after 4 to 5 hours later...

• Haha (+1) 5

5 hours ago, shadow79 said:

Power naps always ends up me twisted up feet on passenger seat waking up after 4 to 5 hours later...

Same here and that's why power nap is my super last option when everything else fails.

I rem taking a nap for 30 min with two alarm set on my both phone and must have snooze 100 times to actually wake up after 2 hours, but I reached home safely after that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Never fallen asleep when I’m driving, no matter how banjaxed I am. Know plenty of people who have though. My neighbour in Ireland crashed through my wall and into my garden early one morning. And my road is totally straight. Another 500 meters and she would have been home safe. 

I like to sing when I’m driving, I think that helps. Always get a lot of strange looks at traffic lights. Ice cold drinks help too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1