•  
Advertise here

Types of extinguishers that are out there to stop a fire in your car

Javier M

Today I would like to talk to you guys about the different types of extinguishers that are out there to stop a fire in your car.

I dont think is mandatory for companies here to train their employees on how to put out fires, back home it is mandatory to go through training with the fire department. 

First, I would like to explain the elements of fire, for some of us this might be basic but there are still some people that may not be aware of what is required for a fire to start.

For a fire to start it needs 3 things:

1. Heat: A heat source is responsible for the initial ignition of fire, and is also needed to maintain the fire and enable it to spread. Heat allows fire to spread by drying out and preheating nearby fuel and warming surrounding air.
  2. Fuel: A fire needs a fuel source in order to burn. The fuel source can be anything that is flammable, such as wood, paper, plastic, fabric, or chemicals. Once the fuel element of the fire triangle is removed, the fire will go out.
  3. Oxygen: Air contains about 21 percent oxygen, and most fires require at least 16 percent oxygen content to burn. Oxygen supports the chemical processes that occur during fire. When fuel burns, it reacts with oxygen from the surrounding air, releasing heat and generating combustion products (gases, smoke, embers, etc.). This process is known as oxidation.

image.png.705f888e545eb7ecf417b40b12b880b4.png

If you remove any of these elements you will not have fire.

Types of Fire

• Class A fires: These are started by combustible and flammable materials, such as wood, paper, trash or plastics. If a car has any of this material inside, it runs the risk of a class A fire.
  • Class B fires: are started by a flammable liquid or gas. This includes sources such as gasoline and oils with petroleum, as well as propane and butane. A class B fire is one of the most common in cars.
  • Class C fires: The fuel sources for these are typically electrical, such as faulty wiring. Again, this can certainly take place in a car, as there are many electrical components. An electrical fault in your vehicle can lead to a class C fire.
  • Class D fires: These flames are started by a combustible metal, such as magnesium or potassium. A class D fire is generally not something you have to worry about taking place in a car.

It is recommended to have in your car an ABC type extinguisher because, as the name implies, it will work on the fires that are most likely to take place in a car, classes A, B, and C.

How to put out a fire with a conventional fire extinguisher. 

Always secure the fire extinguisher

It is always important to have your car extinguisher secured via a bracket or other safety mechanism.

Keep in mind that if it is not properly secured and you crash or roll over you will have big and heavy object hitting your head. 

61qTZJJQT8L._SL1000_.jpg

A very inexpensive way to secure it would be to use velcro and industrial adhesive to hold the extinguisher in place 

q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B06XKW45BC&Format=_SL250_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=dan0389-20

Non conventional fire extinguishers 

51234307_2232235083487361_6429220490518200320_o.png.53c28d2d5a93b8fac96b82e48ef7b9ac.png

Edited by Javier M
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

What an amazing topic you picked for saving so many lives and cars. Thank you @Javier M.

After writing my last week article on 7 Uncontrollable Car Fire Causes and Prevention, I was about to write similar article in educating people to choose what "type of fire extinguisher they need in car" and "how to use it right".

I have just written "How to correctly use the Car Fire Extinguisher" and linked with this article.

image.png

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use