•  
Advertise here

Bushes and brakes replacement

42 minutes ago, Barry said:

When I started driving I used to go through a set of pads every 3 months. The security guard at work had a nice Mercedes C class so I started chatting to him about it. Old model but clean and well looked after. Turned out he bought the car brand new 9 years previously and was still running the original pads. I asked him how? He told me the harder you press any of the pedals, the more it will cost you, so just relax and enjoy the scenery. 

Im like that now I at most change my pads only once during the ownership of my cars . Since most of the time I just cruise to a stop. Old habit I picked up fron doing so much on road convoy driving keep an eye out for the 3 or 4 th car in front of you or as mucb far as you can see and anticipate in advance if you need to slow down if so gently lift off of the gas and then slowly tap the brakes if coning to a halt.

I see people givinf it the full beans when 500 mtrs ahead of you the signal just turnee red and then slam the brakes hard 70 mtrs from it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 hours ago, GumbyAKhan said:

There is an insane amount of speedbreakers and bumps in Sports City, haha I'm 100% sure most of my brakes get worn driving around my living area :

Come and live in an Emaar community like Arabian Ranches or Mira. It is far worse....

But Sports City is the only place i ever been where they can't even seem to align the manholes to the pavement. They are installed like 5 inches higher. A real sportscar would break its crankcase immediately.

Oh and it took them only 10 years to have some water in that canal.....

Edited by Frederic
  • Haha (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Yes Frederic, the less said about Sports City the better. Specially those manholes, I've never seen any such community in Dubai where they can't even get that right 

• Like (+1) 2

Were there Chinese contractors involved in the development/building of Sports City? That might explain the manholes...

Edited by treks
  • Haha (+1) 2

I live in sports city too. I’ve seen better roads in the middle of mountains. It looks like they put the manhole covers in them planned to bring the road up level to them. But I don’t see how that will work because the road will be above kerb height in places. My poor car is starting to make new rattling noises every day. I think some day I will catch the exhaust on a manhole and rip it off. 

The canal leaked too and they had to dewater the ground around it to fix it. The water level is half of what it’s supposed to be. 

Anyone know what was the stadium they started building then abandoned on the right just as you come into sports city from motor city?

The area could have been a really nice place if it was built to plan. 

• Like (+1) 5

I heard from somebody they were building something for hockey, another said something else so really not sure what was their plan .... 

Btw, it's nice knowing you're in sports city, it would be nice to meet you over a cup of tea sometime 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

54 minutes ago, GumbyAKhan said:

I heard from somebody they were building something for hockey, another said something else so really not sure what was their plan .... 

Btw, it's nice knowing you're in sports city, it would be nice to meet you over a cup of tea sometime 

Sounds like a good idea

• Like (+1) 1

@Keithryan, So after getting the upper and lower arm bushes replaced and rear brakes changed, the car has definitely become much smoother but the clonking sound still didn't go away, it is still there whenever i turn my steering and straighten it later, or on speed bumps, or turns on inclines. 

Got my car rechecked, and then they discovered that on the left side, the spring coil of the shocks have loosened, and that the rod needs to be replaced. I'm a bit annoyed right now as this should have been checked anyway before I spend the 1700 dhs on parts and labour costs. Now they're saying the shocks will take separate work, however as it's expensive I decided to just delay it man. Yes the bushes and brakes needed replacement, but I would'be expected the shocks to be checked as part of their routine suspension checks, and not as a new discovery after doing all the work as I could've saved some parts and labour cost. 

Anyway next thing I did was to goto Future Tyres Trading in Ras Al Khor, to get wheels rotated, and get alignment of car fixed as the bushes replacement and lathe pressing resulted in a slight disalignment. There, I made the same clonking complain, and the guys tightened the screws on the 2 bolts (on the axle I think?) beneath the bushes, both front and back.. This simple tightening seems to have massively improved the clonking noise, the car is driving much smoother. The noise stitll comes, it's not as loud and not as frequent. They explained that when the bolts are not tightened properly or when they get a little lose, this noise often comes from the base of the car. 

So I seem to have a shocks replacement required on the left side as the spring has come loose and doesn't cover the rod fully, which the guy said is a sign of needing replacement.. However I do have temporary relief by tightening of the 2 bolts both front and back under the bushes. Hope this helps? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1