•  

Intermediate drive Marquab to Lisali - 18 July 2019

Rahimdad

Taking in to consideration the last 2 drives I'm posting this drive in an area that would challenge the best of us.

This area offers varied terrain for all types of adventure seeker from tall - medium - small (technical) dunes with enough area to play :-)  

When: 18 July 2019
Meeting time: 11:00 PM, convoy will move at 11:15 PM
Where: First Emarat Petrol Station after outlet mall on Dubai - Al Ain road

GPS Coordinate: https://goo.gl/maps/7pRg8Lb1N3s

Level of drive: Intermediate and above - (all other levels may join as passengers only if space is available)
Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance
Plan: Night drive from Marquab to Lisali with an option to finish at the Qudra Lakes by sun rise.
What to bring along: Evening snacks - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, and enthusiasm.

Approximate finish time: 6 AM

Faqa.JPG

RSVP on below calendar

• Like (+1) 1

YabbaDabbadooooo !!

Due to circumstances I have been missing out on this area several times although it’s the one closest near home. 

I’m definitely in !

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Now Superman is really back ! 

As I mentioned this was for me one of the best drives I’ve had in the club so far. The terrain was challenging at times,  but thanks to the experienced convoy and great lead, we had very little stucks and refusals. The pace and rhythm was good at all times and the atmosphere was as usual unique. 

Closing off at the lakes with some great Karak Chai, fantastic samosas, and some chit chat, I drove home with a big smile on my face and crashed happily onto my couch. 

See you soon back in the sandbox !

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Trip Report - This was it. What an amazing drive with the most amazing people, missed you @Javier M, hope you are feeling better now. As I drove to the meeting point I was firstly surprised by a mirror on the road side which was distracting trying to see yourself drive for such a long distance. But eventually the Pathy next to me slowed down and I realized its someone else, only @G.huz has this car, but he had not checked-in when I last saw. So I turned into the petrol station and he followed, to my surprise it was @G.huz and we had 5 cars for the trip.

In the area that we were going to venture in a 5 car convoy is the best number you can achieve, but more fun when all are good drivers. So myself with @G.huz in the second lead, @shadow79 next up followed by @Gaurav bhai and for a change @Frederic in the sweep. The first part was just being a bit cautious as there were some fences around. As soon as we headed into the sands I found so many soft spots in these small to medium technical range. Amazingly for the first round we had a few refusals but no stucks, which means everybody did well enough to negotiate the terrain. It was fun as all drivers were capable and kept up with the pace and I never had to stop unless there was a refusal which were quickly resolved and no long stops required.

As we negotiated the dunes and the first part almost came to an end we had a flat surface to which the radio blared with the voice of @Frederic, welcome to Shk Zayed Road. Chuckles followed and soon @Gaurav bhai announced that he was going to take off to check his springs. As soon as he got the go signal he was off like a gazelle right to the finish line. We soon caught up with him and he fall back into the queue. The result so far had amazed me and with the happiness of having a smooth ride so far, there lurked a fear of @Gaurav bhai announcing that it was a boring drive as no stucks and no ropes used. This fear was soon forgotten with the distraction of 100s of Gazelles right in front of our cars, as usual we only shot them with our camera which meant our BBQ pans were empty.

As we had a our fill from photographing the Gazalles we moved on to head towards the Qudra Lakes. I had no idea that this would be the more challenging terrain at this time of the year. But soon we had a few stucks and needed the tow ropes. We even had @shadow79 try to replicate the heroics of @Frederic by trying to cut the ridge and getting stuck right in the middle of the dune with the left side hanging on one side and the right side on the other. These are always tricky stucks and thus with all of @Gaurav bhai experience he used his winch in the best way possible to get the Rav4 out with no damages at all. I was also not spared as I came across a very steep and soft dune where I needed a tug out. Now there was a satisfaction of knowing that @Gaurav bhai would not call it boring.

Soon we landed at Qudra lakes and lay our spread, with some excellent treats, tea and stories flying around, specially the smiles showed that everyone had enjoyed this one. With the dawn about to break we started inflating our cars and by the time the Sun started to come out we were well on our way home. Thanks to all who attended, it was really great fun. Until next time I will leave some pics in the gallery to feast your eyes on.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use