•  
Advertise here

Clunk 'tok' sound during acceleration

I've been following this thread and didn't see the OP's response, if already resolved. But TBH, I don't know what a 'backlash' sound is..

Following that thread as my Pajero also has this clunk sound (more like 'tok') upon accelerating in traffic. I don't hear it during the first few minutes/hours of driving and it occurs almost only during my drive home while traversing medium-heavy traffic (think Dubai-Sharjah on E311 at 5:30pm on a Sunday). During stop and go, I would step on the brakes until car is almost at a standstill or fully stops. Then upon letting go of brakes and stepping on the gas, the 'tok' sound comes (after 1 second during acceleration). Just a quick 'tok' sound and nothing after.

Note that I don't slam on the gas like a cab driver, just your normal relaxed driving. Even at the most deliberate gas-stepping (like how we did it during our driving license exam), sound still comes. I am no sound expert, but I think it is coming from the rear, middle part (probably closer to driver side than to the right side).

I've also tried to get it checked (thrice already so far) by different garages by replicating a stop-and-go traffic, but as expected the MF'ing sound doesn't show itself when a mechanic is on board. The mechanics who pretended to have heard something each had a differing take - one said it might be the rear axle which may need cleaning (apparently a common issue with Pajeros) and one said it that it could be the drive shaft.

I see on the aforementioned thread that this could also be rear bushing related. Given the above symptoms, might it be the same for my car? Or is this something else?

• Like (+1) 2

I have the same sound on my wifey's 2008 Pajero. I always assumed it sounded like the rear diff teeths locking into each-other, but come to think of it, it is probably the rear bushes on the arms. In this climate they tend to dry and crack.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I have this exact same sound but mosly when my car has recently started after some pause of few hours, when I'm driving over speedbumps, or driving up from my basement parking (so gradient and turning at slow speed). The guy I'm getting this fixed through has said it's the bushes, and they may have cracked. I made a post on this 'bushes and brakes replacement' recently. 

I hope this sounds goes away. I can update you once I've got the bushes changed in a day or two and report on whether this sound has gone or not? 

Just a clarification, this sound feels like coming from the base of the car right, somewhere around the front or right beneath your seat? Cuz that's where I'm getting the clunking sounds from 

Edited by GumbyAKhan
  • Like (+1) 3

This is because your rear differential bushings have failed. To change the entire arm would cost a lot. So you might have to search for the bushings separately and replace them.

Doing the same for my Jeep, but with Jeeps you get the bushings more easily. Pajero will be a bit more of a challenge.

And also dont try to replace the control arms with those from the scrap yard as they would also be equally worn out.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, GumbyAKhan said:

Just a clarification, this sound feels like coming from the base of the car right, somewhere around the front or right beneath your seat? Cuz that's where I'm getting the clunking sounds from 

It's definitely from the rear, but not beneath my (driver) seat. But pretty sure it's on the left side. I should probably get someone to drive while I stick my ear on the floor on the 2nd or even 3rd row. 

Are changing the rear bushes as well? If yes, then I will really look forward to hearing how it goes. Hopefully it does the job for you. 

• Like (+1) 3

Also, if I tell the mechanic this, can they check and test all the rear bushes without having to take the car in a traffic, stop-and-go situation? 

Asking this as I've already suggested this to the garage who last worked on my car. The garage told me that they ran a 'spanner test' and found nothing. So I am starting to doubt the reliability of the 'test' they did. 

• Like (+1) 2

WTF is a spanner test?

Checking worn bushes is the easiet thing to do. Get a rod or a long screw driver  a jiggle all the joints and see for excessive play in any.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Confused (0) 1

2 hours ago, Keithryan said:

It's definitely from the rear, but not beneath my (driver) seat. But pretty sure it's on the left side. I should probably get someone to drive while I stick my ear on the floor on the 2nd or even 3rd row. 

Are changing the rear bushes as well? If yes, then I will really look forward to hearing how it goes. Hopefully it does the job for you. 

I'm not changing the rear. think pajero runs on rear differentials? Just getting front upper arm and lower arm bushes replaced. Sure, I will let you know how it goes. 

1 hour ago, Keithryan said:

Also, if I tell the mechanic this, can they check and test all the rear bushes without having to take the car in a traffic, stop-and-go situation? 

Asking this as I've already suggested this to the garage who last worked on my car. The garage told me that they ran a 'spanner test' and found nothing. So I am starting to doubt the reliability of the 'test' they did. 

I think the mechanic should be able to check this in a garage. They usually do a small drive around, but if u specify it for them they'll check it directly. You can try Mohsen, the guy I go to, he's pretty good with Pajeros (0529533434). 

Edited by GumbyAKhan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Srikumar said:

This is because your rear differential bushings have failed. To change the entire arm would cost a lot. So you might have to search for the bushings separately and replace them.

Doing the same for my Jeep, but with Jeeps you get the bushings more easily. Pajero will be a bit more of a challenge.

And also dont try to replace the control arms with those from the scrap yard as they would also be equally worn out.

Yeah the original is only available with the entire assembly which is really expensive, so I'm resorting to opting for Taiwan parts.

• Like (+1) 2

Not always that wiggle test works I had to change a bush which looked perfect but still made sounds as they become old they loose their consistency to stay in one place under load

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1