•  
Advertise here

Clunk 'tok' sound during acceleration

53 minutes ago, sertac said:

If bushes not cracked just use some rubber conditioner spray on them

That might work in cold weather but here the heat really messed with things

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, desertdude said:

Checking worn bushes is the easiet thing to do. Get a rod or a long screw driver  a jiggle all the joints and see for excessive play in any.

14 hours ago, shadow79 said:

Not always that wiggle test works I had to change a bush which looked perfect but still made sounds as they become old they loose their consistency to stay in one place under load

One of the garage I went to did lift the car and checked for excessive play around all 4 tyres as well as the steering box, transfer case, and drive shaft. They visually checked and tried to wiggle, shake, prod, etc, just to see if there is any movement that will produce a metallic clunk (aka 'tok'). But as expected, it didn't rear its ugly head.

On another forum, a similar issue was brought up and a couple of ideas floated around by those is that there might be issues with the stab link, or brakes, or the bolts & nuts of the arms (loose), and even ball joints. 

But considering that the sound isn't always there - not heard while driving on rough patches, not heard during turning, heck it doesn't even come during the morning traffic (might it be that heat, afternoon and after car has completed warmed up, also plays a factor?) - does this still seem like a bush issue?

• Like (+1) 1

if the noise and jerks comes while accelerating, then most likely it would be rear differential bushing. As the bush gets worse you would start hearing the clunk noise on every bump, but that would take a while as you are using the vehicle mainly for onroad purpose.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

This is how my trailing arm bushing looked like, and the clunking sound on speed bumps was really bad. On top of that the car was driving very "wonky" and unstable:

IMG_0428.jpg.a9b37a86a30274df199043e7d65be243.jpg

While the arm is removed, best to do the other bushings also. @shadow79 did both trailing arms with aftermarket bushings, and the difference is night and day.

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

If there is sound plus light jurks felt on steering while accelerating or breaking then it also could be the front arms

The sound diagnosis is really a pain 

Sometimes all the bushes are cracked and yet the customer asks to only get the one which is making that particular sound while others are gonna fall apart anyway...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

On 7/17/2019 at 3:49 PM, shadow79 said:

If there is sound plus light jurks felt on steering while accelerating or breaking then it also could be the front arms

The sound diagnosis is really a pain 

Sometimes all the bushes are cracked and yet the customer asks to only get the one which is making that particular sound while others are gonna fall apart anyway...

Thanks @shadow79. Fortunately there are no light jerks on steering while accelerating nor braking. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Ok so after getting the upper and lower arm bushes replaced and rear brakes changed, the car has definitely become much smoother but the clonking sound still didn't go away, it is still there whenever i turn my steering and straighten it later, or on speed bumps, or turns on inclines. 

Got my car rechecked, and then they discovered that on the left side, the spring coil of the shocks have loosened, and that the rod needs to be replaced. I'm a bit annoyed right now as this should have been checked anyway before I spend the 1700 dhs on parts and labour costs. Now they're saying the shocks will take separate work, however as it's expensive I decided to just delay it man. Yes the bushes and brakes needed replacement, but I would'be expected the shocks to be checked as part of their routine suspension checks, and not as a new discovery after doing all the work as I could've saved some parts and labour cost. 

Anyway next thing I did was to goto Future Tyres Trading in Ras Al Khor, to get wheels rotated, and get alignment of car fixed as the bushes replacement and lathe pressing resulted in a slight disalignment. There, I made the same clonking complain, and the guys tightened the screws on the 2 bolts (on the axle I think?) beneath the bushes, both front and back.. This simple tightening seems to have massively improved the clonking noise, the car is driving much smoother. The noise stitll comes, it's not as loud and not as frequent. They explained that when the bolts are not tightened properly or when they get a little lose, this noise often comes from the base of the car. 

So I seem to have a shocks replacement required on the left side as the spring has come loose and doesn't cover the rod fully, which the guy said is a sign of needing replacement.. However I do have temporary relief by tightening of the 2 botls both front and back under the bushes. Hope this helps? 

Edited by GumbyAKhan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1