•  
Advertise here

Clunk 'tok' sound during acceleration

10 hours ago, Michael sammy said:

I shall do that Tomorrow, happy to help others. 

It has partially solved for me, but not gone fully away. Tightening of the bolts / screws on the lower arm both front and back definitely reduced the noise, but hasn't completely gone so the issue is still there. 

The diagnosis from the mechanic I'm working with was that it's an issue of shocks but I'm not going to get it fixed immediately, will wait for a few months when shocks replacement gets due. Would love to read your explanation 

• Like (+1) 2

So first I went to Habtoor for AC checkup, and I asked for a full list of items needed to be serviced it was a list of 23 items however I got quoted a nonsense quote, hence I fixed only the AC there as it was recommended by other Pajero owners.

I took the list of the service items that mentioned in the quotation which was explaining every problem and which part to change (including the diff bushes) to a garage was recommended to me by another Pajero owner. and that was the first time that I fix the car outside Habtoor service.

However the garage changed all these mentioned service items successfully and professionally but when it reached the Tok sounds they said we fixed what was in Habtoor diagnoses however sound still there.

I went back to Habtoor they confirmed its the axel, from there I decided to go back to the garage to fix it again as I paid already to them to fix the problem but I still have it and the sound was annoying me while driving.

To make the story shorter the garage mechanics came up again with 3 different things to fix/change:
1- Differential (change)
2- The black part of the crankshaft 
3- Changing the axel hubs

Each one of these diagnosed issues would have cost me 3k at least without labor charges I guess, here at this moment I feed up and decided it's enough I went back to Habtoor but this time I was told to go to DIP branch they are better to fix this rare issues.

And it was just as simple as cleaning the axel and greasing, 400 AED they charged me with 3-month warranty if the problem appeared again they will fix it for free.

PS: this took me 2 month time running between Habtoor and the garages.

I hope this informations are helpful and my story will save money, time and efforts to others.

Cheers to all

Edited by Michael sammy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

36 minutes ago, GumbyAKhan said:

It has partially solved for me, but not gone fully away. Tightening of the bolts / screws on the lower arm both front and back definitely reduced the noise, but hasn't completely gone so the issue is still there. 

The diagnosis from the mechanic I'm working with was that it's an issue of shocks but I'm not going to get it fixed immediately, will wait for a few months when shocks replacement gets due. Would love to read your explanation 

I forgot to mention that i changed my suspensions to dobinson suspensions stage 2 to solve the problem, but it wasn't any thing from the suspensions parts, i paid a lot but it wasn't the main problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

This thread becoming like a ship and a hammer story now.

Everyday new suspense popping up with thrilling angle.

image.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Michael sammy said:

And it was just as simple as cleaning the axel and greasing, 400 AED they charged me with 3-month warranty if the problem appeared again they will fix it for free.

Thanks @Michael sammy for the detailed explanation. This here ^^ was among the diagnosis I got and this came from no less an ex-Habtoor mechanic (who has his own garage now) so it is possible that this might also work in my case. Sometimes its just the simplest explanation that makes sense.

I am inclined on getting my 120k service done in his garage so I will definitely bring this up with him again to include among the services to be done. 

Thanks again. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

This thread becoming like a ship and a hammer story now.

Everyday new suspense popping up with thrilling angle.

image.png

Especially the bit about the "black part of the crankshaft". I should remember that one...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Seriously, what a sensational thread, new mysteries being unpacked in every episode. Very helpful @Michael sammy, and true this sound is very annoying as it feels like your axle / base is gonna come apart any second with these noises. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad (0) 1

3 hours ago, Michael sammy said:

So first I went to Habtoor for AC checkup, and I asked for a full list of items needed to be serviced it was a list of 23 items however I got quoted a nonsense quote, hence I fixed only the AC there as it was recommended by other Pajero owners.

I took the list of the service items that mentioned in the quotation which was explaining every problem and which part to change (including the diff bushes) to a garage was recommended to me by another Pajero owner. and that was the first time that I fix the car outside Habtoor service.

However the garage changed all these mentioned service items successfully and professionally but when it reached the Tok sounds they said we fixed what was in Habtoor diagnoses however sound still there.

I went back to Habtoor they confirmed its the axel, from there I decided to go back to the garage to fix it again as I paid already to them to fix the problem but I still have it and the sound was annoying me while driving.

To make the story shorter the garage mechanics came up again with 3 different things to fix/change:
1- Differential (change)
2- The black part of the crankshaft 
3- Changing the axel hubs

Each one of these diagnosed issues would have cost me 3k at least without labor charges I guess, here at this moment I feed up and decided it's enough I went back to Habtoor but this time I was told to go to DIP branch they are better to fix this rare issues.

PS: this took me 2 month time running between Habtoor and the garages.

I hope this informations are helpful and my story will save money, time and efforts to others.

Cheers to all

I have to ask @Michael sammy, were these tok sounds coming when you turn the car and then straighten your well, or on inclined roads, or speed bumps? Because that's what happens with my car. It's not an issue of acceleration for me as it is for @Keithryan

• Like (+1) 3

Problem is there is no one size fits all here. There are so many things that can create a "tok" Noises are always hard to trace and rectify Onr can only inspect and then go down a list and tick them off one by one.

Having a Land Cruiser used 365 days for safaris it became a never ending quest to chase weird click, clongs, rattle, squeaks and clangs.

How do you think I became a DIY mechanic and git knowlegable abiut cars because every day off or any freetime was either spent under the car or in a garage.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GumbyAKhan said:

I have to ask @Michael sammy, were these tok sounds coming when you turn the car and then straighten your well, or on inclined roads, or speed bumps? Because that's what happens with my car. It's not an issue of acceleration for me as it is for @Keithryan

Mine is while accelerating same as @Keithryan mentioned in his main description. But its not annoying everyone at the garage were i fixed my car 5 pajeros were there and all had the same problem but they didn't even notice until i tried their cars i started by then to get convened by them that is normal but for me it was not as i bought the car brand new back then in 2010.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1