•  

Newbie drive Pink Rocks - 25 July 2019

Rahimdad

@Adel Muradov we have a drive every weekend, but to satisfy all level of drivers we alternate weeks to newbie and intermediate. This week is going to be intermediate which means you can join our newbie drive the week after.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

Trip Report - What a brilliant night. Since @Adel Muradov and @Michael sammy couldn't make it to the drive we were left with no newbies. This situation allowed me to go for 4 options:

A) Continue the newbie route but at a faster pace.

B) Change the route completely to head to the Iftar Bowl via a fast and challenging route.

C) Head to Pink Rocks and make our way to Fossil Rock and Faya.

D) Allow everybody on the trip to do short leads.

Option D was selected by majority and we had 3 different drivers lead us with 3 different flavours and an ear to ear smile from all participants after the drive.

First up was @Srikumar who really amazed me in the second lead as he managed to find some patches of virgin dunes in this area and made the ride amazingly smooth and pleasurable at a very nice pace. As neither @Srikumar felt like giving up the lead and we were enjoying it also, only the unfortunate incident with @Shamil could stop us in that moment. A check engine light appeared with no response from the accelerator. We stopped and tried a few home remedies before the car had power of its own and throttle was restored. The engine light was still on as we headed out to 2nd December Cafe. But @Gaurav bhai idea was spot on that with the car moving on its own power reset the battery and the check engine light should disappear. Just like magic, now you see it, with a quick battery removal and back again, now you don't. @Shamil was tempted to continue but with safety in mind and listening to the seniors he left with a big smile. Hope your ride is sorted @Shamil bhai.

From here @Gaurav bhai wisked us to behind the Pink Rocks from where @Frederic picked up the pace. With me in second lead I was enjoying it thoroughly riding behind our 2nd Velociraptor in the club. He drove confidently at good pace with just a line to follow between the Pink Rocks and the Big Red. It seems he is born to lead with amazing resolve on his first lead.

After about an hour of fun @Gaurav bhai decided to take the lead and wanted to take us over the highest and most challenging dunes in the area. At this point @Frederic took second lead and I fall back to sweep duties. The next hour was spent behind the most experienced hand in the club and carried its own fun.

The radio blared to prepare for the last fast 10 minutes that would require us to be at our level best. But as it happens sometimes the last 10 or 30 minutes turn to a nightmarishly long affair. Soon we had a refusal and with some pushing of the vehicle the smell of the clutch burning was evident on either side of the dune. Quickly we all gathered and decided to give our vehicles and ourselves a well deserved break with some nice breakfast. Sandwiches, bread, chocolates, juices and tea was overflowing as we feasted. As soon as our minds were free and relaxed the idea of further deflation came into @Frederic mind which is always helpful. This time with @Gaurav bhai behind the wheel was able to take it out in 2 tries. He admitted that he got greedy on the first attempt which caused a bit of a fail, but second attempt was perfectly timed.

This got us to the end of the drive, inflation of our tires and hitting the road again to spend the remaining weekend in the comfort of our homes with our families. Also a shout out to @shadow79 who has wholeheartedly joined every drive after the return of his Rav4 and always willing to help with any situation that raises its ugly head. Until next time I bid you all farewell.

it seems that i missed a lot :( hopefully next time will be able to come and have fun and get to know the group members face to face. 

Appreciate this detailed trip report amazing efforts @Rahimdad

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

51 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

Trip Report - What a brilliant night. Since @Adel Muradov and @Michael sammy couldn't make it to the drive we were left with no newbies. This situation allowed me to go for 4 options:

A) Continue the newbie route but at a faster pace.

B) Change the route completely to head to the Iftar Bowl via a fast and challenging route.

C) Head to Pink Rocks and make our way to Fossil Rock and Faya.

D) Allow everybody on the trip to do short leads.

Option D was selected by majority and we had 3 different drivers lead us with 3 different flavours and an ear to ear smile from all participants after the drive.

First up was @Srikumar who really amazed me in the second lead as he managed to find some patches of virgin dunes in this area and made the ride amazingly smooth and pleasurable at a very nice pace. As neither @Srikumar felt like giving up the lead and we were enjoying it also, only the unfortunate incident with @Shamil could stop us in that moment. A check engine light appeared with no response from the accelerator. We stopped and tried a few home remedies before the car had power of its own and throttle was restored. The engine light was still on as we headed out to 2nd December Cafe. But @Gaurav bhai idea was spot on that with the car moving on its own power reset the battery and the check engine light should disappear. Just like magic, now you see it, with a quick battery removal and back again, now you don't. @Shamil was tempted to continue but with safety in mind and listening to the seniors he left with a big smile. Hope your ride is sorted @Shamil bhai.

From here @Gaurav bhai wisked us to behind the Pink Rocks from where @Frederic picked up the pace. With me in second lead I was enjoying it thoroughly riding behind our 2nd Velociraptor in the club. He drove confidently at good pace with just a line to follow between the Pink Rocks and the Big Red. It seems he is born to lead with amazing resolve on his first lead.

After about an hour of fun @Gaurav bhai decided to take the lead and wanted to take us over the highest and most challenging dunes in the area. At this point @Frederic took second lead and I fall back to sweep duties. The next hour was spent behind the most experienced hand in the club and carried its own fun.

The radio blared to prepare for the last fast 10 minutes that would require us to be at our level best. But as it happens sometimes the last 10 or 30 minutes turn to a nightmarishly long affair. Soon we had a refusal and with some pushing of the vehicle the smell of the clutch burning was evident on either side of the dune. Quickly we all gathered and decided to give our vehicles and ourselves a well deserved break with some nice breakfast. Sandwiches, bread, chocolates, juices and tea was overflowing as we feasted. As soon as our minds were free and relaxed the idea of further deflation came into @Frederic mind which is always helpful. This time with @Gaurav bhai behind the wheel was able to take it out in 2 tries. He admitted that he got greedy on the first attempt which caused a bit of a fail, but second attempt was perfectly timed.

This got us to the end of the drive, inflation of our tires and hitting the road again to spend the remaining weekend in the comfort of our homes with our families. Also a shout out to @shadow79 who has wholeheartedly joined every drive after the return of his Rav4 and always willing to help with any situation that raises its ugly head. Until next time I bid you all farewell.

@Rahimdadbhai - thanks for the write up...i didnt feel like i missed much as i could just visualize the rest of the trip through the report :) . My car was fine that night as i was able to drive back home but 2 days later the check engine light did show up again after which, i took it to a garage and they realized the throttle body was a bit messy. They cleaned it up and now the car is back to working condition. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 5

I thoroughly enjoyed this drive and i am extremely thankful to the crew for giving me the opportunity to take the lead for a little while. As i was still using my GPS with a straight waypoint line "as the crow flies" towards the Big Red, @Gaurav had to give me extra some extra instructions as he had much more detailed routes stored in his MotionX, and has so much experience in this terrain in general. Thanks buddy !! The last 5-6 drives i've been recording the trips in both Gaia and MotionX and that will definitely help me in the future to have more recorded waypoints.

The scariest part for me was not really the driving in lead, but because it became very windy, the shifting sand on top of the dune made it almost impossible to see what was on the other side when we were crossing or cutting the ridge. I'll also need to experiment a bit and try to point the offroad lights a bit more pointing upwards. 

As i was lacking a bit in sleep last couple of days, towards the end of the drive i became a bit more groggy and grumpy and probably that's why i started burning up my clutch. It's strange how sometimes very simple and clear things can become so foggy when you're tired. My apologies for that mishap.

@Shamil you are a humble, gentle, and patient Offroader and i can imagine it felt a bit sour that you had to exit, but your positive attitude and accepting that it was better to exit shows what a great team player you are. Glad to see you got it sorted so soon :) 

@Srikumar boy did i enjoy that lead of yours, like i mentioned the pace and rhythm was like a John Coltrane record....Smooth... ;) 

@shadow79 whenever you're around, adventures aren't far away. But i mean that in a very very good way. Keep up the fine work buddy !

@Rahimdad as always our brightest star in the deserts of Arabia..... That Karak Chai hits the right spot every time 😂

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

17 hours ago, Frederic said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this drive and i am extremely thankful to the crew for giving me the opportunity to take the lead for a little while. As i was still using my GPS with a straight waypoint line "as the crow flies" towards the Big Red, @Gaurav had to give me extra some extra instructions as he had much more detailed routes stored in his MotionX, and has so much experience in this terrain in general. Thanks buddy !! The last 5-6 drives i've been recording the trips in both Gaia and MotionX and that will definitely help me in the future to have more recorded waypoints.

The scariest part for me was not really the driving in lead, but because it became very windy, the shifting sand on top of the dune made it almost impossible to see what was on the other side when we were crossing or cutting the ridge. I'll also need to experiment a bit and try to point the offroad lights a bit more pointing upwards. 

As i was lacking a bit in sleep last couple of days, towards the end of the drive i became a bit more groggy and grumpy and probably that's why i started burning up my clutch. It's strange how sometimes very simple and clear things can become so foggy when you're tired. My apologies for that mishap.

@Shamil you are a humble, gentle, and patient Offroader and i can imagine it felt a bit sour that you had to exit, but your positive attitude and accepting that it was better to exit shows what a great team player you are. Glad to see you got it sorted so soon :) 

@Srikumar boy did i enjoy that lead of yours, like i mentioned the pace and rhythm was like a John Coltrane record....Smooth... ;) 

@shadow79 whenever you're around, adventures aren't far away. But i mean that in a very very good way. Keep up the fine work buddy !

@Rahimdad as always our brightest star in the deserts of Arabia..... That Karak Chai hits the right spot every time 😂

thank you for the kind words @Frederic

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Shamil thank you for understanding and I am glad you got your throttle body sorted out, On road it took 2 days for the problem to recur, but in the desert it could have reared it's ugly head at the worst of maneuvers and spoilt the fun plus could have got you into a terrible position. Better safe than sorry.

@Frederic thank you for sharing your point of view, it is always good to read through the experience from another persons point of view. Hope your clutch is not giving you any troubles. I love to see you grow in Carnity in regards with your level, it has been just as smooth as the rhythms you adore. Love your attitude and we should be more careful with the time we finish as everybody is tired by the fag end of the week and on our last drop of adrenaline pushing us through. Good point raised and we will be more careful with timing in the future drives.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use