•  
Advertise here

I need an advise guys, i changed my car engine oil yesterday its a pajero 3.8 lwb 2010 model. 

At the time the mechanic done with refilling the new oil hr show me the new level and it was above the maximum mark with 1 cm i told him you put more than required he said no once you drive the car the extra oil will go in the engine oil filter. 

Honestly i didn't believe that however i decided to go home and check again the next day morning when the car run the oil into the engine and the filter as per his comment. 

However today morning i checked the oil level and it's still the same 1 cm above the maximum mark. 

So the question is that harmful?

Should I drain the extra oil? If yes how to do that DIY ?

Ps: I only drove 30km since oil changed. 

Appreciate your advise guys.

• Like (+1) 2

You can go to any petrol station service guys and they have a thin suction tube that can suck excess oil from dipstick hole.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Well there are only two ways to reach engine oil: Drain plug or dispstick.

From opening drain plug you will risk of loosing more than required, unless you have some precise control over a spanner. Dipstick is much safer and controlled way to reduce with the suction pipe.

As a general rule of thumb you should not overfill engine oil above the max line and 1 cm sounds quite as much. I always buy an extra 1L bottle to top next day rather than overfilling.

@Barry, @treks and @shadow79 might advise the drawback of overfilling as Im not that technically educated.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Overfilling almost always leads to premature seal failure and increased zeal in fuel consumption

1 cm in many cars means 250 ml to half liter

Better say to measure is warm up then let it sit for 30 other 40 minutes

Or more precise one is to leave it overnight and check 1st thing in morning

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1