Jump to content

Nissan General Discussion Forum | Nissan 370Z Forum | Nissan Altima Forum | Nissan Armada Forum | Nissan GT-R Forum | Nissan Juke Forum | Nissan Maxima Forum | Nissan Micra Forum | Nissan Murano Forum | Nissan Pathfinder Forum | Nissan Patrol Forum | Nissan Qashqai Forum | Nissan Sentra Forum | Nissan Sunny Forum | Nissan Tiida Forum | Nissan Xterra Forum | Nissan X-Trail Forum

Recommended Posts

Please advise i have a pajero 3.8 LWB 2010 but its maintained and it is in a very good condition as i bought it brand new back in 2010.

 

I'm thinking of buying a second hand car only for offroading and activities Hence i thought of buying a low budget car and customize it. 

 

I believe that Nissan patrol safari is one of most powerful cars when it comes to offroading.

 

Do you recommend Nissan patrol safari?

 

If yes which models i should look for and which models i should stay away?

 

I saw couple of cars but at least they have 250k in mileage if not more is that okay ?

 

Is it necessary to get car with diff lock ?

Is it necessary the car has manual shift mood as in the gear of pajero?

 

PS: I am looking for maximum of 20k aed 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look only for the VTC 4800 model. Which only comes in a LWB configurations for those early years. The 4500 is like a church mouse in front of the VTC and avoid manual like the plague. Horrible box for offroading in the desert.

Youll have to look very carefully as its a favourite car among the shabab and usually played around with quite a bit on and offroad. look for bone stock versions with 0 mods. straight body panels and no repaints, underneath look for bent axel tubes, chains around the drive shaft and petrol tanks and caved in petrol tanks. All signs of a pervious life spent offroading.

Diff lock really isnt a requirementIts nice to have but not a must

  • Like 7
  • Totally Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 2006 swb manual gear and it never climbed big red, let alone iftar bowl, faya and other tall dunes. It was a total disappointment. Stay away from that shape I think 2004 - 2010.

@baselsm83 had old shape nissan patrol, maybe 2001 model, if he is reading this then he can share his experience as I have seen him doing quiet good offroading with us.

In 20k budget try for Xterra, as you might get on road used version. Best for offroad + less maintenance. 

Second could be jeep wrangler as a play toy but not very reliable tbh and expensive to maintain compare to nissan.

Third could be old shape Jeep Cherokee, 3.5 pathfinder until 2003 shape, but finding these clean one now is very difficult.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

I had 2006 swb manual gear and it never climbed big red, let alone iftar bowl, faya and other tall dunes. It was a total disappointment. Stay away from that shape I think 2004 - 2010.

@baselsm83 had old shape nissan patrol, maybe 2001 model, if he is reading this then he can share his experience as I have seen him doing quiet good offroading with us.

In 20k budget try for Xterra, as you might get on road used version. Best for offroad + less maintenance. 

Second could be jeep wrangler as a play toy but not very reliable tbh and expensive to maintain compare to nissan.

Third could be old shape Jeep Cherokee, 3.5 pathfinder until 2003 shape, but finding these clean one now is very difficult.

Thats because the swb and 2001 are the 4500. 4800 VTC is a totally different monster plus yours had the absolute shit ratio manual transmission. The engine wasnt as big of a let down as tge manual transmission ratios were. 1st too short and 2nd too long. Could never get it into the right power and torque band required for high climbs

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

I had 2006 swb manual gear and it never climbed big red, let alone iftar bowl, faya and other tall dunes. It was a total disappointment. Stay away from that shape I think 2004 - 2010.

@baselsm83 had old shape nissan patrol, maybe 2001 model, if he is reading this then he can share his experience as I have seen him doing quiet good offroading with us.

In 20k budget try for Xterra, as you might get on road used version. Best for offroad + less maintenance. 

Second could be jeep wrangler as a play toy but not very reliable tbh and expensive to maintain compare to nissan.

Third could be old shape Jeep Cherokee, 3.5 pathfinder until 2003 shape, but finding these clean one now is very difficult.

Wt I'm looking for more of a toy car for offroading, camping and fishing however i thought that Nissan would be stronger to have as second hand regardless of the years and mileage if you compare it with same year of other mentioned brands, correct me guys if I'm wrong when we are talking about 5th generation 1998 to 2000 models if you compare it with xterra or wrangler i don't think they will be in a good condition. 

 

I feel the availability of Nissan patrol safari makes it easier to find parts in scrap yards or aftermarket copies if you can't find the original. Which makes it cheaper to fix than wrangler or xterra or pathfinders 

 

I have my eye on 2002 vtc 4800 with mileage of 250k looks like it haven't been modified looks decent price is pretty good i might be able to get for 9 to 10k i guess. 

 

Please correct my thoughts if i am not thinking with a correct logic. 

 

@baselsm83 @desertdude @Gaurav

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

Look only for the VTC 4800 model. Which only comes in a LWB configurations for those early years. The 4500 is like a church mouse in front of the VTC and avoid manual like the plague. Horrible box for offroading in the desert.

Youll have to look very carefully as its a favourite car among the shabab and usually played around with quite a bit on and offroad. look for bone stock versions with 0 mods. straight body panels and no repaints, underneath look for bent axel tubes, chains around the drive shaft and petrol tanks and caved in petrol tanks. All signs of a pervious life spent offroading.

Diff lock really isnt a requirementIts nice to have but not a must

I mentioned what i have in mind in the other reply please let me know your thoughts.

 

I definitely looking for 4800 vtc

But does mileage matter with these cars?

What about the automatic gear i will change gear using 1 2 3 d ? While offroading as i don't think old models has the push side manual option?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Michael sammy said:

Wt I'm looking for more of a toy car for offroading, camping and fishing however i thought that Nissan would be stronger to have as second hand regardless of the years and mileage if you compare it with same year of other mentioned brands, correct me guys if I'm wrong when we are talking about 5th generation 1998 to 2000 models if you compare it with xterra or wrangler i don't think they will be in a good condition. 

 

I feel the availability of Nissan patrol safari makes it easier to find parts in scrap yards or aftermarket copies if you can't find the original. Which makes it cheaper to fix than wrangler or xterra or pathfinders 

 

I have my eye on 2002 vtc 4800 with mileage of 250k looks like it haven't been modified looks decent price is pretty good i might be able to get for 9 to 10k i guess. 

 

Please correct my thoughts if i am not thinking with a correct logic. 

 

@baselsm83 @desertdude @Gaurav

I mentioned what i have in mind in the other reply please let me know your thoughts.

 

I definitely looking for 4800 vtc

But does mileage matter with these cars?

What about the automatic gear i will change gear using 1 2 3 d ? While offroading as i don't think old models has the push side manual option?

Thats caled the 5th generation Y61 Patro. Well taken care of Ive seen them cross 500k even. Yes you are right scrapyards are full of patrol bits, specially in dhaid. 

If the car checks out, engine tranny, drive train is solid, then go for it, specially if you can get it for around 10k it wouldnt be a bad deal as the 4500 with 350k plus mileage go for around 15 ish.

As for transmission just leave it in D, seems like you have no offroad experience would be recommended to sign up for a newbie drive here to learn the basics

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Thats caled the 5th generation Y61 Patro. Well taken care of Ive seen them cross 500k even. Yes you are right scrapyards are full of patrol bits, specially in dhaid. 

If the car checks out, engine tranny, drive train is solid, then go for it, specially if you can get it for around 10k it wouldnt be a bad deal as the 4500 with 350k plus mileage go for around 15 ish.

As for transmission just leave it in D, seems like you have no offroad experience would be recommended to sign up for a newbie drive here to learn the basics

 

Thanks for the advise, i hope this beast is mine. 

 

No i am not heavy offroader yet making my self ready with a dedicated toy car as i never was comfortable driving an expensive car in offroading. 

 

But as far as i know all pajero drivers uses the push side manual option when offroading, might be the pajero not as powerful to be drove on D 

 

I hope any #pajero drivers support my statment or correct me if am wrong. 

 

I am looking forward for the newbie briefing 🙏

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pajero or no pajero just drive it in D unless real sticky situation. And no unfortunately even jero owners will not side with your statement

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S : Hate to break it to you buy your 10 year old Pajero is not new or expensive anymore. You can get them between 25-30k now

  • Like 1
  • WOW 1
  • Totally Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a 2008 3.8 LWB for 18kAED in January. Needed a little bit of TLC but is technically perfect now and just done the 200,000kms major maintenance. Only meant as family car and for some camping and mall crawling.

I understand your concern about having a toy car for camping and going offroad. But be aware that cars +15y old will need a lot of TLC and money thrown into it. You could be exposed to a 5-6 kAED bill at any given time.

A clean decent 4800 Patrol that hasn't seen much desert is gonna cost you, and the locals are hunting these cars down too. However i love these cars and would love to own one, they are gonna cost you more than your existing Pajero i am afraid.

My proposal to you would be to use your Pajero to learn the basic offroading skills and see where it takes you. By that time (5-6 months) you will probably understand more what you are really looking for in that weekend/toy car. The 3.8 is a capable offroader.

 

  • Like 1
  • Totally Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Jesala9527
      Trying to buy used car, and plan to do Tasjeel comprehensive test at Tasjeel Aweer, then go to RTA to transfer ownership, cash over counter to seller.
      I called the Tasjeel Aweer and they said NO they don't do comprehensive test and I was told that only Qusais, Barsha, Sharjah can do.
      Seller saying I can do the comprehensive test in Tasjeel Aweer. 
      Has anyone done there before?
      And doing a Tasjeel Comprehensive Test is of any use or not for pre-buying inspection?
      BTW: the used car was registered in DXB, but expired, and seller wants to save cost to transfer to EXP blue plate to save cost not to renewal for whole year, is this common practice ?
      Its GMC, GCC Spec per seller.
      Thanks for sharing.
      CONTACT TASJEEL:
      Al Qusais 04 267 0290
      Al Aweer 04 333 1510
      Al Barsha 04 347 3619
       
    • By Jeh
      What's the Cost of Buying a New Car vs Used Car?
       
      Does this rule apply for UAE cars as well? ]
      If not which points to be considered when it comes to GCC cars.
       
       
       
       
    • By Sajith Kumar
      Dear Carnity Team. 
      Good day! Just thought I'd share a recent vehicular performance issue I faced. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this: 
      Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Safari Year 2005. Not a Plus 1 car, this is my regular vehicle for all commutes.
      1. My car has been in quite a good condition, During my first 2 Off road drives (Newbie) , I was able to punch through quite comfortably. I think the vehicle played a HUGE part in off-setting my inexperience- I am sure it helped me plow through a lot of dicey situations due to sheer power alone, using only the Automatic "D" gear.
      2. Post my 2nd drive, returning to On-Road, I started noticing that the car felt a little different, it was as if she took a longer time to achieve prior speeds. I thought that Off-roading had caused some sort of On-road issue, and let it be. 
      3. During the latest drive (my 3rd) the car simply wasn't the same. I can't explain the feeling, it's as if she just was not up to it. . I wasn't able to charge up the Pink rock on both routes,  I did all the FLOORING of the accelerator that I could but she simply wouldn't budge. 
      4.. Luckily, I just got my vehicle serviced today, and the mechanic was able to identify a certain tear in the intake pipe. His actual words were: "Raizing mein problem aata hain kya?" :😂. (Do you have any issues during full throttling?) As per him this could have contributed to the performance issue during the recent Off-road trip. PFA ref Image.
      5. A new Intake Pipe costs AED 375 (Shops near Al Suwaidi Garages in Ras Al Khor), I've decided hunt for a used spare later, hence the pipe's torn section has been taped with insulation tape for the time being.
      Cheers!

    • By 2000 Motors Showroom
      We provide special pricing for all Carnity members.
      We have all kinds of cars with low mileage. Our motto is customer satisfaction giving out at best competitive price
    • By Khallof
      We provide special pricing for all Carnity members.
      Al Bahjah Used Car specialized in Korean and Japanese used cars.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use