•  
Advertise here

Tow hook vs tow hitch

Both have 2 different functionalities. Can you elaborate a bit on why you ask this ?

* A tow hook is a point that is used to "tow" your vehicle. It is also being used to recover your vehicle.

* A tow hitch allows a car to pull a load, like a trailer, or something else. It also makes for a good and strong recovery point.

If you are referring to recovery use only, then in both cases it will rely on how it is installed. a decent tow hitch will be connected to the chassis of the car on more than 1 bolting point, while a tow hook is in most cases just bolted onto one side of the car. Hence for recovery the tow hitch would be stronger and better in load distribution.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Its a proper tow hook install in the center, I meant vs tow hitch. Not side small hole ones. Its for recovering when stuck in sand or mountain and not pulling boat/load

• Like (+1) 3

Central mounted tow hook is always better than tow hitch for recovery. Hitch are designed for constant load and not strong tugs, although hitch will work fine for soft or medium tugs.

Recently friend of mine gave me a tug and and his hitch came off from the bolts, luckily his car was at an angle and I saw hitch flying 50 meters ahead of my car like a catapult. Maybe it was a bad installation of weak hitch but proper rated tow hook is always better.

The best in class is the Pintle hook that comes standard in LC and Patrol.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

19 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Central mounted tow hook is always better than tow hitch for recovery. Hitch are designed for constant load and not strong tugs, although hitch will work fine for soft or medium tugs.

Recently friend of mine gave me a tug and and his hitch came off from the bolts, luckily his car was at an angle and I saw hitch flying 50 meters ahead of my car like a catapult. Maybe it was a bad installation of weak hitch but proper rated tow hook is always better.

The best in class is the Pintle hook that comes standard in LC and Patrol.

unfortunatey cant fix that NATO style hook on most cars. As thats bolted on to the rear crash bar mounted directed to the frame.

Put that on todays plastic pigs and see the entire rear end fly off! LOL

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

Just for clarification:

This is a tow hitch:

508B57DC-EC4F-47FD-8A0C-0AED2A3EEDDA.jpeg.3889d198a9c747dab1692b44e7b7b1da.jpegand this is a tow hook:

9212F92B-2CAD-4E91-AA29-0F57D108BF82.jpeg.42753d6ce81ff1241816bed87e51c462.jpeg

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I thought about fixing a tow hitch but they are not cheap, so i guess if you really need to tow a boat or a trailer then you better fix one.

Initially i thought to fix one instead of the rear skid plate but i heard it wouldn't help protect the rear bumper in all cases and i might end us loosing my rear bumper. 

• Like (+1) 1