•  
Advertise here

I tried to improve my Pajero AC every summer however after I have changed too many parts in my Pajero AC I still have low cooling AC compares to my other cars however after trying a lot I managed to reach at least double the cooling I had here some important tips:

1- Check your AC gas level, it might be low or lacking. it's very common and very very important
2- Change your AC fan, it might be working but not full performance/power. 
3- Add an extra fan on the AC condenser (could be fixed along with the main AC fan or with a separate switch or directly connected to the power) recommended to be fixed along with the main AC fan.
4- OR add 2 extra fans one fan for the AC condenser and another fan for the transmission cooler (could be fixed with a separate switch or directly connected to the car power) recommended with separate switch.
    This is mainly good for the transmission cooling, especially while off-roading. However it also helpful for the AC cooling.

5- Disconnect/disable the heater from the car AC system. (it was done to my Pajero by Habtoor). I never used the heater in UAE you might disable it.
6- If you have a LWB you might switch on both AC front and Rear at the same time as they have 2 different evaporators and in the summer it helps a lot if you use them together.
7- Car tinting, if you don't have window tinting do not expect you AC to perform in the summer. Recommended if you use heat Insulation/reduction tinting.
8- Keep your car AC recirculation switch/button ON all the time or at least until you reach the required temperature. I usually keep it on all the time.
9- Keep your car in shaded/covered parking.

***Even if you have done all the above points and your AC gas is leaking or low you will not get any good results.***

Some people might consider the above point are obvious but believe me for some people they are not I thought to share my experience even if it might help one person that would be enough.

**DISCLAIMER** I accept no liability for any harm or damage caused by anyone modifying their car. Always read the workshop manual for your car and consult a qualified mechanic before starting any work.

• Like (+1) 4

Disabling/bypassing the heater matrix is bad and any professional mechanic who recommends it should be stripped of his qualifications. The heater matrix is part of the cooling system and is required for proper operation as per manufacturer specifications. This is a fix done by lazy and incompetent mechanics who have no idea how to replace a heater matrix or think it’s a magic cure for engine overheating, which it isn’t  

If you can explain how disabling the heater matrix improves AC cooling then I am all ears although I bet you have never researched this and are going on the advice of someone else who has also not properly researched how automotive HVAC systems work. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Doesn’t your windows fog up more now ? 

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I also want to know more how disabling heater helps in cooling?

On the contrary, heater is a blessing while offroading as occasionally when engine temp start rising and doesn't come to previous level, switch on heat and open all windows and within 30 secs engine temperature drops instead of waiting for 10 mins in idle with hood open. Reason behind this is heater uses engine heat to throw out from the blower and help dissipate lot of heat in seconds.

In UAE I have only used heater once in last 17 years of driving, but every year used heater in summer at least more than 5-10 times while offroading.

• Like (+1) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I think weve already had this conversation about heaters here. Mostly disconnected when heater core is clogged or keaking. Not worth the money to rip out the dash to fix it in these climates for something you might need once a year for 5 mins.

But if its workig fine then no need to bypass it. And rightly pointed out it has nothing to do with AC cooling and a quick cooler for an overheating car.

I remeber I had to use the heater on full trickvon my friends overheating maxima while coming back from Al Ain. It worked long enough fir us to reach our shop in sharjah.

But was no fun to drive in mid summer in the heat with the heater on full blast. It was a race against time to see which would faint first the car or us!!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have an easy solution to that, keep driver grills facing you and passenger grills facing other side pointed towards window.

Whenever I need quick engine cool down while driving even, roll down all windows, AC Off, heater on, close my side vent and open passenger vent. Max 30 sec temp drops to normal even while pushing the car in full heat. I

This way have never exceed temp above 110 while 90 is ideal, so I keep waiting till it reaches 110 occasionally to do this trick otherwise it keeps dancing between 100 and 105 range while offroading.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, Barry said:

Disabling/bypassing the heater matrix is bad and any professional mechanic who recommends it should be stripped of his qualifications. The heater matrix is part of the cooling system and is required for proper operation as per manufacturer specifications. This is a fix done by lazy and incompetent mechanics who have no idea how to replace a heater matrix or think it’s a magic cure for engine overheating, which it isn’t  

If you can explain how disabling the heater matrix improves AC cooling then I am all ears although I bet you have never researched this and are going on the advice of someone else who has also not properly researched how automotive HVAC systems work. 

As i mentioned this was done by habtoor however i did not ask for this as a service they have disabled the heater without asking me. I was told about it when i was reviewing what was done in the car.

However the service advisor confirmed to me that is a common thing they do for Mitsubishi cars to improve the AC. I have not researched this nor thought about the idea behind i should have but when it comes to the habtoor service i kind of trust them more to do the right thing. 

If it was a regular car garage i wouldn't have mentioned it or most probably i would have requested them to return it back as it was.

Somehow air conditioning got better in my car. 

I will do a deep research on this point, thanks for highlighting this point, this is why we are all here. To learn from each other experiences. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

Doesn’t your windows fog up more now ? 

No they're not, i guess it is happening in any car if you direct the AC grills toward the windows. @Frederic

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Michael sammy said:

As i mentioned this was done by habtoor however i did not ask for this as a service they have disabled the heater without asking me. I was told about it when i was reviewing what was done in the car.

However the service advisor confirmed to me that is a common thing they do for Mitsubishi cars to improve the AC. I have not researched this nor thought about the idea behind i should have but when it comes to the habtoor service i kind of trust them more to do the right thing. 

If it was a regular car garage i wouldn't have mentioned it or most probably i would have requested them to return it back as it was.

Somehow air conditioning got better in my car. 

I will do a deep research on this point, thanks for highlighting this point, this is why we are all here. To learn from each other experiences. 

If this was something done by the main dealer I would be sending an email direct to Mitsubishi in Japan asking for an explanation. Chances are you will get the problem rectified for free. And trust me, when they disconnected your heater matrix, it had no correlation to your AC cooling. I’m sure Mitsubishi would be very interested to hear about this and know the dealer is doing incompetent work by unqualified employees. 

• Like (+1) 2

Sometimes the doors insulation becomes bad or leaks air which goes through the heater core as well will drop cooling while the AC is on so instead of opening up the havc box and sorting it out we too disabled many heaters as opening up dash vs looping off the heater there is a good cost difference so obviously you know what will be chosen customer...

• Like (+1) 2