•  
Advertise here

Finally its out in the open!

Jeh

I have had several arguments with my friends and colleagues in Dubai when i try to explain to them that tap water in Dubai is potable. In fact its a law that if government is providing tap water it has to be potable. 

"In this region, there is a stigma attached in using municipality water or tap water. But did you know that most bottled water produced in the UAE is from a government or municipality source. So if it says 'bottled water', then it is definitely from municipality source. Therefore, you are already drinking filtered water. And this water is very safe."

This is a very interesting and eye opening article in Dubai. And hopefully people will understand the damage the plastic from the bottles is doing to our planet. If one cannot or doesn't want to drink the water at least they can use it for cooking, i have seen people using bottle water even for cooking. :shock:

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/dubai/no-more-bottles-khaleej-times-pledges-to-use-filtered-water-

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

If it is potable why did they install filters? that defeats the definition of potable.

Potable water would be to be able to open the faucet and drink directly from them but we cant, therefore, is not potable.  

What people don't realize is that all bottled water is actually tap water filtered and the glaciers and nature BS we see on their labels are just marketing. There are a lot of documentaries about it. 

image.png.8cdbfa8d326f899010ee7da9195fdddf.png

• Like (+1) 3

I and the entirety of my generation grew up in the UAE drinking tap water, directly from the faucet back in the day the only bottled water was Masafi or Gulfa and came only in 2 sizes the 500ml and the 1.5ltr and that was seen as a luxury or when one felt like splurging when dining at a fancy restaurant.

Have become burgeouise now so drink bottled water now but I still use it for cooking

My folks, still living in the UAE drink tap water!

Edited by desertdude
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

4 hours ago, Javier M said:

What people don't realize is that all bottled water is actually tap water filtered and the glaciers and nature BS we see on their labels are just marketing. 

I dunno about other places but here easy way to check is ready the label. If it says natural spring water then it is. 

I've been here 40+ years and companies like Masafi use actual spring water. Others being Gulfa and Al Ain 

• Like (+1) 1

Few remarks:

* DEWA guarantees you a CERTAIN quality of water, which is considered as potable, at the arrival of your home or apartment. But from there it is being stored in tanks and does not fall under their responsibility anymore.

Have you ever seen how dirty these storage tanks are ? Who is responsible that they are being cleaned professionally and on time ? Who is responsible for your piping? Definitely not DEWA... 

I am not saying that there is a short term harmful effect on drinking water that is not perfectly clean, but i still prefer to drink bottled water. And even then there have been numerous reports on bottled, desalinated water, that still had harmful chemicals in it that are being used during the desalination processes. 

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/uae-supermarket-recalls-well-known-bottled-water-brand-1.595412

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Frederic you have read my mind once again.

Since morning I read this post and wanted to bring this EXACT F******* point to the table that stop jumping about DEWA potable water and go up and just check the exterior of your building water tank, let alone inside.

If you are convinced to drink, ask your building maintenance that when have they done the last cleaning maintenance of water tanks. Still that OVERRULE the internal corrosion that is dissolved in your faucet water.

I can't share the source here due to privacy issue but this is the picture of inside of water tank that has recently burst inspite of being regularly maintained and cleaned periodically in Dubai. 

Look at the rusted pipes and nut bolts.

Look at the bottom leakage turned yellow on beige concrete, assuming that major leakage of water must have happen from there and that's why rusted residue left its mark.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-27 at 6.59.03 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

When I first came here a local guy told me not to drink the tap water because it will banjax your kidneys. To this day I still don’t know what it tastes like and have no intention of finding out either no matter what anyone says. I know my tap water stinks so that’s enough for me to not want to drink it.

I do hear a lot of people saying that showering in the tap water makes your hair fall out. Bollocks. People come to uae and think they miraculously stop aging when they get off the plane. Bitch you’re getting old, your hair falls out when you get old, deal with it, go try rogaine or something.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Just to add my 2 cents. I too like @desertdude have grown up in UAE and we used to drink water from the tap. There was an incident quite some time back when I was still a kid, there was an oil leak on the UAE shores. As the water in the taps is purified water from the sea we started drinking bottled water. Recently I did try to drink from the tap and got an upset stomach. I have now invested in a decent RO purifier and have been using water from the tap, after the RO purification which has been great for the past 3 years. this way I avoid plastic bottled water which was the point in the first place to avoid plastic. Only when I am going for off-road drive I buy bottled water as I have been too lazy to invest in a good water carrier which can be reused. But after reading this column I am definitely going to try to invest in a reusable water carrier.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

17 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

Just to add my 2 cents. I too like @desertdude have grown up in UAE and we used to drink water from the tap. There was an incident quite some time back when I was still a kid, there was an oil leak on the UAE shores. As the water in the taps is purified water from the sea we started drinking bottled water. Recently I did try to drink from the tap and got an upset stomach. I have now invested in a decent RO purifier and have been using water from the tap, after the RO purification which has been great for the past 3 years. this way I avoid plastic bottled water which was the point in the first place to avoid plastic. Only when I am going for off-road drive I buy bottled water as I have been too lazy to invest in a good water carrier which can be reused. But after reading this column I am definitely going to try to invest in a reusable water carrier.

Well done for saving plastic! I don’t know about some people. Even if I buy a packet of cigarettes the shop tries to give them to me in a bag, I say keep the bag save the planet, and they look at me like I am a crazy person. 

• Haha (+1) 2

@Barry when i carry something in hand and refuse taking a plastic bag the shop keeper normally give me a big smile. Maybe their reaction is different because you are gora party.

Hahahaha

• Haha (+1) 1