•  
Advertise here

My Pathy has stuck spark plugs.

Time to buy this extractor @shadow79

In video it looks damn easy and doable with using appropriate "penetrating" oil than opening the head.

Another example by using the drill bit to extract the broken spark plug, very intelligent.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Gone are the days when the plugs were visible lately it deep in so such things don't work...as you increase in height then the force doesn't reach there like when you increase in width the torque is increased....

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

Gone are the days when the plugs were visible lately it deep in so such things don't work...as you increase in height then the force doesn't reach there like when you increase in width the torque is increased....

I think you are talking about 2001 Pathfinder, which is good 18 years old now.

Ford F150 in above video is also 2001 model and Jeep in second video looks TJ (97-06).

Still there is no harm in trying than opening an engine head for multiplying hassle, cost and labor.

• Like (+1) 2

What is it the kids say now? Ooof!

Screw extractors can get nasty fast. If you snap one you’re not drilling it out unless you have a milling machine and a 500 dhs titanium drill bit. If it works then everything is cushty. If it doesn’t you’re in a whole new world of shit. Be careful using them.

@shadow79 if it gets  really bad I have a helicoil kit here you can borrow. 

I think there are 2 big points to take away here. 

1 - Spark plugs don’t need to be murder tight. You don’t need to swing off a 1/2” bar with a pipe on the end. Use a torque wrench. 30 Nm is plenty.  It’s such a simple job anyone can do in a parking lot so you should do it yourself  

2 - A little bit of copper grease is your friend. A little, not a lot. Back home my mechanic friends used to laugh at me for using copper grease on everything when you might not see the customer again. I always said think about the next guy who might be working on the car. When you get a car in the shop and you see parts with copper grease, it makes you smile. It’s good karma. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 minutes ago, Barry said:

1 - Spark plugs don’t need to be murder tight. You don’t need to swing off a 1/2” bar with a pipe on the end. Use a torque wrench. 30 Nm is plenty.  It’s such a simple job anyone can do in a parking lot so you should do it yourself  

Very rare to see mechanic using torque wrench here.

3 minutes ago, Barry said:

2 - A little bit of copper grease is your friend. A little, not a lot. Back home my mechanic friends used to laugh at me for using copper grease on everything when you might not see the customer again. I always said think about the next guy who might be working on the car. When you get a car in the shop and you see parts with copper grease, it makes you smile. It’s good karma. 

This is super rare.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

16 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Very rare to see mechanic using torque wrench here.

This is super rare.

The only reply I can give to this is that this is the difference between a parts fitter and a mechanic 

Any monkey can screw parts on and off but not everyone really understands what the engineers were trying to achieve. 

Where I’m from, most of the mechanics here would be classified as helpers with a bit of knowledge. It takes a 4 year apprenticeship before you are even allowed to call yourself a mechanic. You have to complete at least a level 5 qualification. If you want to call yourself a technician you have to reach level 7. 

The biggest problem is the people who go around 5 garages looking for the cheapest job. Quality doesn’t matter. Only price. As long as it’s working again, who cares. Even if it’s going to break down again in a month. These animals make it hard for people like me who do a good job and charge accordingly. I would rather have less work than lower myself to their standards. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

It's not a matter of over torque it's just Nissan's aluminum head which just bites it...and lately most of the plugs have built in crush washers on then just hand tight then with tool just feel it sinking in that's it no more no less...

Lately just getting guys from turning workshop to see who got bigger balls to take the job without opening the head...or else will open it up then....

Say thanks to engineers who have buried the plugs deep 

Placed Acadia's low side air conditioning nozzle beside the exhaust

Placed subi's oil filter in a donut of exhaust

Placed Lexus starter deep under the manifold

To remove a Porsche radiator have to start from under the car all the way up to the radiator support and headlights out

They all's mama a hoe...

Edited by shadow79
More info
  • Like (+1) 1

Congratulations @Rahimdad for not opening the engine head.

Well done @shadow79 for using the drill bit to unscrew the stuck plug.

Here are the 9 Nissan used part scrap yards that you can call to get that faulty part - couldn't get its name correctly

https://carnity.com/search?&q=nissan&type=cms_records5&nodes=86&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1