•  
Advertise here

My Pathy has stuck spark plugs.

I have recently tried yo get the plugs changed as my Pathy was missing. Coming home on Thursday evening the race drops and picks up again causing a hiccup effect. I took it to the garage and they cleaned the throttle body and checked the fuel pressure and that seems in tact. So now to the speed of 80 KPH it's all OK but once I go past 80 KPH the hiccups start again and very violent at times. My suspect is still the plugs. However when trying to remove the plugs I've been told the they might break and once broken we would have to open the head.

I've been watching some YouTube videos and patience seems to be the key. As long as there is some movement we have to turn it off as much as possible, again tighten it and keep repeating the exercise till it comes off. Still there is a chance that the plug might break. But on YouTube there is a solution other than opening the head. There is a tool called a screw extractor. Need to just hammer it into the broken spark plug and start screwing it. This should get the broken piece out and we are ready to fit the new plugs.

Can someone with the right tools guide me where I can get this done, as I am a bit tight on cash and don't want to get into a big expense right now. Any help will be much appreciated.

• Like (+1) 2

Mix ATF and acetone (nail polish remover) 50/50 and pour it on the threads every day for a week. It will soak into the threads though capillary action and make them easier to remove. But you need to give it time. It’s not an overnight thing. Keep repeating. Doing it on a warm engine will help. 

If you’re using a spark plug socket, take the rubber insert out. I don’t know how, I don’t know why, but when you use the insert, there is a higher chance of breaking the plug. An old mechanic told me this years ago and from my experience he was right. Use a regular socket. When it’s loose, use a magnet to lift the plug out.

Screw extractors, also known as Ezee Outs serve a purpose but you have to be careful using them. They are made of extremely hard metal, therefore extremely brittle. They are harder than drill bits so if you break a screw extractor it’s not just a matter of drilling it out. 

Are you sure it’s a spark plug problem? Speed is irrelevant. Bad plugs will cause a misfire under load, ie when you are holding the throttle down and trying to accelerate. 

If you want to drop by the shop I’ll take a look at it for you, FOC.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Sounds more like a bad coil to me. Does the DTC flash when it's rough? Disconnect one coil at a time when running rough to see if there are any changes. If you take out a coil and there is no change means that coil is knackered. 

Or try using a simple obdii scanner one can be had off amazon for 20dhs. 

Also disconnect the MAF when idling rough. If it gets better means MAF has taken a dive.

Plugs will in majority of the the cases not cause intermittent problems.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

The car has a distributor 

Dtc flashing when it miss fires is mostly on seen on Toyota and Lexus cars

Scanned the car only knock b1 code is there

Saw live data of hot wire it's around 1.56 and raises as the paddle is pressed so seems good

Up till now have only seen sized plugs only in Nissan engines

In my 5 attempts with different Nissan's have broke 4 plugs only 1 somehow by miracle loosen up 

Plugs do spatter under certain load or rpm

All my plugs sockets the 22mm 16mm and 14mm rubbers somehow just vanish now I only use magnet to pull them up

• Like (+1) 2

Thank you @shadow79, @desertdude and @Barry for all the useful information. I would be delighted to see you again. I get off around 6:30 pm, hope you will be around for me to pop in and you can have a look. BTW, I will start working on your package now.😃

• Like (+1) 2

Knock will mess with the shifts and throw down the drain the economy of fuel but seldom have seen certain rpm miss...

Edited by shadow79
More info
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

@Barry I have bought the ATF and nail polish remover. How much quantity should I mix and what quantity should I apply.

You could have just used any penetrating oil like WD40 and you'd be halfway done by now and probably spent less for a can of WD40, this concoction is an old mechanics tricks to cook up a quick batch in a rush or to save a few pennies if you use it a lot by just using stuff lying around in the garage. 

Here is a side by side test of this mix along with WD40 and the mix came in behind WD40

• Like (+1) 2

Wish you let me know earlier @desertdude, I already bought the nail polish remover, which is the only thing I can't use after this task is done and dusted. Already had a can of WD40.

• Like (+1) 1