•  
Advertise here

LED light bulbs

Hi, guys!

Just want to share my experience with you, it might be helpful for somebody.

These days you can notice tons of LED light bulbs designed to replace conventional halogen light bulbs.

First of all, I have some doubts that it is legal.

If you are ok with it, you might want to install them because they are so bright!

First type. A lot of LEDs on all sides of the light bulb.

image.png.ba0e48b7f09848e28f9ffeb544b2ad2a.png

image.png.0b83215767e0e916fb0a8e37ff0bd64c.png

Looks great, but almost useless. The light is blinding fellow drivers but the road is not lit well.

Second type. Two big LED chips on both sides of the bulb.

image.png.9c822e65e0e113705e30e8fc1f95095e.png

It is a bit better but still it lights everything around and not the road.

Third type. Three tiny chips on both sides of the bulb.

image.png.a78e7a6aad28af7bd22e5cb8693e0d1a.png

It is almost perfect. In reflector type headlights it is not ideal, in lens type headlights should be good with descent border between light and shade on the road.

Quality of the light bulb and precision of LED chips placement plays a big role here.

Forth. A-Brand light bulb. 

image.png.c21473deb5da6f5956c29344bb6011a1.png

Almost perfect in most of situations but considerably more expensive.

General rule.

The smaller LED chip, the better shape of the light. It is like that because conventional lights are designed to focus light from tiny halogen light, thus, position and size of LED chip should be as close to position and size of halogen light bulb as possible.

image.png.4f3a42623798e5c52cb194aca1273955.png

My experience.

I bought my car with second-type bulbs installed in high-beam lights. Well, for high-beam it was not that bad, for dimmed light it was not suitable at all.

I decided to change it to something better.

I bought third-type light bulbs for High-beam, dimmed and fog lights. Some with active cooling (with fan), some with passive (just radiator).

After several months, one active-cooling light bulb failed in dimmed head light, the rest is still fine including passive-cooling fog-lights which I use a lot.

After the failure, I decided to buy Philips light bulb to install them into dimmed headlight. 

Generally, LED light bulbs are bright. Not as bright as Xenon lights but still way brighter than halogen light bulbs.

I'm satisfied with performance of lights and, important, its price. It is a significant improvement for a reasonable price!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1