•  

Intermediate Morning Drive in Sweihan - 16th Aug 2019

Srikumar

17 hours ago, Javier M said:

Been doing morning drives during the summer, it doesn't get hot until around 10-11 am. 

You should have visited me at my workshop missed the chance to see me melting...

Morning drive....no comments...😨

• Haha (+1) 3

Trip Report - Breaking from the usual tradition of having night drives in summer we decided that to do a Sweihan drive, one must do it in daylight. But with the limited window of good weather in day light it was decided to have an early morning drive starting with the break of sunlight. So we all met on time at 4:45 am and quickly headed to the deflation point. After an even quicker briefing we headed out with @G.huz as my second lead and @Gaurav in sweep for Section 1 of the drive. 

If Gaurav had any thoughts of a relatively easier drive in sweep duties, they were quickly smashed by @shadow79 with the first crest right along center of the dune ridge. A few tugs and shoveling helped recover him and he managed to better that with an even more stubborn crest in the exact same position. The winch had to finally come out to recover him from the nasty spot. By then the sun had already started showing glimpses of its full glory, and so we picked up the pace and had to skip some sections of the waypoints that were initially marked. The beauty of Sweihan (especially in summer months) is the absolute virgin dunes one can ever get to see. We reached the end of Section 1 of the drive with the time close to 8:00 am. 

With the weather getting warmer we headed for the best part of the drive, a huge sand mountain with plenty of room to play and circle around. The view from the top was absolutely breathtaking. After climbing from every possible angle we finally descended and started our exit route in the final hour of the drive. The dunes in this area were fabulous rolling dunes and like Gaurav mentioned, we definitely need to plan a full day drive in this area in the cooler months. As we were playing along the dunes towards the exit we had a couple of overheating issues, but thankfully nothing too bad. We finally settled for our breakfast in the shaded area of what seemed to be an abandoned majlis. 

A special thanks to @Emmanuel for discovering this area, and also thanks to @Javier M, @shadow79, @G.huz and @Gauravfor all the support to ensure that we started and end the drive on time, especially in this weather. 

• Like (+1) 7

Excellent search and suggestion of this new area by @Emmanuel

Thanks @Srikumar for Impeccable planning of 2 diff routes, waypoints, fence, exit strategy resulting in perfect drive even after few nasty recoveries we were able to play in those amazing dunes. Keep it up.

Just the last bit was killing to inflate at 49 degrees under the sun and 44 under the shade (watch).

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-16 at 2.22.28 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

16 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

Both were technically different stuck's but I agree it was the same spot...

Means Rav is shy to cross tall dune Crest, no matter whichever angle or speed you attempt...!

I think we have seen same in shwuaib also.

• Haha (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

Rav is shy to cross tall dune Crest, no matter whichever angle or speed you attempt...!

I think we have seen same in shwuaib also.

Means I always needs to warm up before the crazy kicks in...

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, shadow79 said:

Means I always needs to warm up before the crazy kicks in...

So that means you warmed up during all the drive? 😂 Nah I'm kidding you did great

Edited by Javier M
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use