•  
Advertise here

Why cars dont have electrochromic glasses?

Gaurav

2 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Well photo chronic and electrochromic are two totally different things. Electrochromic rearview mirrors have been around for a while now

Yes and they are damn helpful in reducing glare.

So whats stopping car manufacturers in using "Photochromic" OR "Electrochromic" windows glasses that turn 50% dark during daylight and completely transparent at night.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

10 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Yes and they are damn helpful in reducing glare.

So whats stopping car manufacturers in using "Photochromic" OR "Electrochromic" windows glasses that turn 50% dark during daylight and completely transparent at night.

Like I said laws and cost. For example in the US everystate has different window tint laws. Here in the GCC every country has different window tint laws. Even here doesn't matter what car you have if it's under a company name you can't have it tinted. 

And making electrochromic mirrors is much cheaper than making electrochromic glass. 

Remember Barry use to work at a shop installing electrochromic tint and how damn expensive that was.

And outside of the middle East people really aren't too concerned it obsessed with tinted windows. 

Over here it's necessary, a must have. Other places not so much. So maybe if there is a huge demand for it l, it might be offered as an option

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

After a year working with electric tints I can say they’re cool for the first week while you show off to your friends but after that, they’re a pain in the ass. Realistically, you’re not going to adjust your window tints up and down every 5 minutes, you set it to on and leave it alone. 

They’re fantastic for office partitions and stuff like that but on a car they’re unreliable. The electrical contacts are very fragile, it’s just a small strip of copper tape and when the car is bouncing around, it gets dislodged easily. When this stuff loses power, it frosts over, so you can’t see out the window which means it’s a big no no for windscreens. 

The inverters to run it are pretty unreliable too. You’re stepping 12VDC  up to 65VAC with a cutted waveform and cramming it all into a box the size of a cigarette packet, which means things overheat and burn out. I guess the failure rate was around 20%. I did design and build a reliable power supply prototype but I couldn’t make it any smaller than a shoebox and you can’t fit something the size of a shoebox behind your dashboard. 

Like I said, for buildings it’s awesome, but not for cars. I spent more time doing repair work (free warranty work) that I did doing fresh installs (making money). The company closed 2 weeks ago so that tells you all you need to know. 

I’m not a fan of tinted windows anyway unless it’s on a show car. I find it harder to see properly at night. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

Even here doesn't matter what car you have if it's under a company name you can't have it tinted. 

The rules have changed. A sedan or SUV registered in company name can have a tiny. It's only the commercial vehicles like pickups, minivans etc that have the restriction

• Like (+1) 1