•  
Advertise here

Tesla roadside recovery for electric charging

Derick

17 minutes ago, Frederic said:

And the funny thing is that these generators will be running on petrol or diesel 😂 

Of course, eventually vicious circle have to be complete.

• Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

33 minutes ago, Frederic said:

And the funny thing is that these generators will be running on petrol or diesel 😂 

The electricity to charge the cars is probably already coming fossil fuels. In my country we have a saying, you rob Peter to pay Paul. It basically means you’re a dog running around in circles trying to bite your own tail so you can eat something but you never achieve anything other than hurting yourself. 

• Like (+1) 1

You can recharge your electric car with any electrical plug. It will take time but it will recharge. Specially in UAE cities are too close. Fully charged electric car making around 450km by today`s standards. Which mean if you are in the middle of Abu Dhabi and Dubai and if you are stupid enough to not check you electric gauge. I am sure that that car will warn you many red lights before electric is fully finished. You can enter any fuel station or restaurant and you can charge your car enough to reach next city in 2-3 hours( you will be already pass maybe 60-70km and you need to go other 60-70km which means you need %15 electric). This will happen once in a 10 year. Since i start driving 10 years past and i never face no fuel or no electric issue. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, sertac said:

You can recharge your electric car with any electrical plug. It will take time but it will recharge. Specially in UAE cities are too close. Fully charged electric car making around 450km by today`s standards. Which mean if you are in the middle of Abu Dhabi and Dubai and if you are stupid enough to not check you electric gauge. I am sure that that car will warn you many red lights before electric is fully finished. You can enter any fuel station or restaurant and you can charge your car enough to reach next city in 2-3 hours( you will be already pass maybe 60-70km and you need to go other 60-70km which means you need %15 electric). This will happen once in a 10 year. Since i start driving 10 years past and i never face no fuel or no electric issue. 

Here is another problem. Unless you live in a villa, it’s difficult to get access to a 240v supply. The majority of people live in apartments in towers. What will the security say if everyone starts running extension wires down the lift shafts to charge their cars. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Barry said:

The electricity to charge the cars is probably already coming fossil fuels. In my country we have a saying, you rob Peter to pay Paul. It basically means you’re a dog running around in circles trying to bite your own tail so you can eat something but you never achieve anything other than hurting yourself. 

That’s exactly the whole discussion that’s going on at the moment with electric vehicles. You’re never 100% green with your electrical car until you are sure that the electricity needed to recharge it is coming from renewable sources like solar, hydro, or wind, and not from coal plants. 

On top of that the mining of rare earths will create a complete market shift and might make South America the new Middle East. 

cobalt, nickel, graphite, lithium...

All these materials and the countries who possess them will be soon doing strategical investments to prepare for the future. The poorer countries that lack the investment power will probably find an investment partner in China, which will eventually result in China taking over that complete business if nobody stops them.

https://www.google.ae/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/politically-charged-do-you-know-where-your-batteries-come-from-80886

83D2830C-F9E7-40EF-A8E2-2641B00D15E6.jpeg

3FBEB91E-4B7E-4B6F-ABB2-6B22772B1FE1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Barry said:

Here is another problem. Unless you live in a villa, it’s difficult to get access to a 240v supply. The majority of people live in apartments in towers. What will the security say if everyone starts running extension wires down the lift shafts to charge their cars. 

Exactly, on top of that you need 40amps according to Tesla, so a regular 16 or 20 amps outlet won’t do it, or will drastically increase charging time.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

41 minutes ago, Barry said:

We’ll need to think bigger and think in solutions instead of problems. 

The population living in towers in big cities probably won’t need to own cars anymore in the future due to better and faster alternatives. 

The complete shift towards electric and hydrogen will happen in phases and will take time and investments. 

I see buildings being equipped with a charging port in every parking space. These ports are powered by standalone battery packs like Tesla is already producing, and the battery packs are charged by solar on the roof buildings. 

Imagine smart power grids that would make us 100% Independent from the city grids. The smart grid  will be either owned by yourself if you made the investment, or leased by companies that will charge you per kWh used. 

Countries like UAE are fast to adopt and might invest in this soon (like the shams initiative for solar). 

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

There is a bigger problem AFAIK if you let a Tesla go completely dead then you are in deep shit and it's not a matter of just recharging your dead phone and it's up in no time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Replacing cars as we know them with electric cars on large scales (i.e., within 20 years as some governments are planning to do) is a pipe dream, and will remain a pipe dream for at least another 100 years, or the oil runs out- whichever comes first. 

Arguing about where to charge an electric car now seems like a very minor issue given the fact that the world does not have the generating capacity to charge hundreds of millions of electric vehicles. 

Most developed countries can hardly supply their local demands for electricity as it is, so where even the rich countries are going to find the money to build dozens of additional power stations and the required infrastructure to charge EV's is a bit of a mystery.  

• Like (+1) 2

This is actually how long will they take to recharge. 

Obviously the wall box is slower because its only 60 amp outlet as opposed to the 300 amps and 480V for the fast charger.

image.png.a54cbd12c34dbb3acc54518fd3f91a08.png

They are everywhere across the UAE and in Dubai there are plenty so running out of battery is less likely. 

image.png.25dee3bb2556556f267885324aa08f79.png

Source:

https://www.dewa.gov.ae/en/customer/innovation/smart-initiatives/electrical-vehicle-charging-stations

• Like (+1) 2

I feel sorry for EV stuck on Sharjah to Dubai or vice versa traffic in the middle of summer with AC on full blast which takes battery. Just imagine you run out of battery on a hot summer day in traffic.

I'm not technically inclined, but normal cars dynamo charges the battery, I've even heard Porche EV uses energy fro brakes. These are components within a car which could help recharge the battery on the move. Or am I wrong?