•  
Advertise here

New Sugar Tax Coming to UAE

adil

50% tax will be applied on drinks having sugar from 1 Jan 2020.

It will be announced soon in main news, as I just read that in one of the catering website for middle east.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, adil said:

50% tax will be applied on drinks having sugar from 1 Jan 2020.

It will be announced soon in main news, as I just read that in one of the catering website for middle east.

That’s an attempt to battle the skyrocketing obesity and diabetes numbers in the Middle East.

Full support from my side.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Well to support 30% obese why penalize 70% non-obese?

Obesity is more a medical condition and little of self control. They should look into making obesity medicines, therapies and yoga classes for free or discounted rate than making a blanket rule IMHO.

Next will be - All gluten based product will get tax means everything on shelf will be expensive.

This is not like cigarette and alcohol - that it will impact only smokers or regular drinkers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, adil said:

Well to support 30% obese why penalize 70% non-obese?

Obesity is more a medical condition and little of self control. They should look into making obesity medicines, therapies and yoga classes for free or discounted rate than making a blanket rule IMHO.

Next will be - All gluten based product will get tax means everything on shelf will be expensive.

This is not like cigarette and alcohol - that it will impact only smokers or regular drinkers.

Obesity is rarely a medical condition. It’s usually a lack of self control. I don’t eat much sugary stuff. I’ll maybe buy a bar of some nice chocolate and keep it in the fridge and eat it slowly over 9-10 days. Why should I pay more for my chocolate when these fatsos will just pay the tax and continue to get fat? Taxing sugar won’t make a difference. I’m a heavy smoker, I smoke 1-2 packs per day. When they introduced the smoking tax, it didn’t make a difference to me. Sure a pack of cigarettes costs twice as much but they’re still cheap. Try buying a packet of cigarettes in my country, you won’t have much change out of 50dhs, and that’s an every day habit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Obesity

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
For the medical journal, see Obesity (journal).

Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to an extent that it may have a negative effect on health.[1] People are generally considered obese when their body mass index (BMI), a measurement obtained by dividing a person's weight by the square of the person's height, is over 30 kg/m2; the range 25–30 kg/m2 is defined as overweight.[1] Some East Asian countries use lower values.[8] Obesity increases the likelihood of various diseases and conditions, particularly cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, certain types of cancer, osteoarthritis, and depression.[2][3]
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, adil said:

Obesity

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
For the medical journal, see Obesity (journal).

Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to an extent that it may have a negative effect on health.[1] People are generally considered obese when their body mass index (BMI), a measurement obtained by dividing a person's weight by the square of the person's height, is over 30 kg/m2; the range 25–30 kg/m2 is defined as overweight.[1] Some East Asian countries use lower values.[8] Obesity increases the likelihood of various diseases and conditions, particularly cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, certain types of cancer, osteoarthritis, and depression.[2][3]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_Middle_East_and_North_Africa

Obesity in the Middle East and North Africa

Obesity in North Africa and the Middle Eastis a notable health issue. In 2005, the World Health Organization measured that 1.6 billion people were overweight and 400 million were obese. It estimates that by the year 2015, 2.3 billion people will be overweight and 700 million will be obese.[1] The Middle East, including the Arabian PeninsulaEastern Mediterranean, Turkey and Iran, and North Africa, are no exception to the worldwide increase in obesity. Subsequently, some call this trend the New World Syndrome.[2] The lifestyle changes associated with the discovery of oil and the subsequent increase in wealth is one contributing factor.

Urbanization has occurred rapidly and has been accompanied by new technologies that promote sedentary lifestyles.[3] Due to accessibility of private cars, television, and household appliances, the population as a whole is engaging in less physical activity. The rise in caloric and fat intake in a region where exercise is not a defining part of the culture has added to the overall increased percentages of overweight and obese populations.[4] In addition, women are more likely to be overweight or obese due to cultural norms and perceptions of appropriate female behavior and occupations inside and outside of the home.[5]

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I stand by my comment. Sitting on your ass all day watching tv and eating chips Oman and getting fat isn’t a medical condition. It’s being lazy. And the people who can afford to sit around and watch tv all day and not have to move while the maids do all the work, this tax won’t make any difference to them. It’s pointless. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

The main thing they are targeting are the Red Bull’s and Mountain Dews of this world.

The sugar tax was implemented in Mexico already where a 10% price increase brought a consumption decline of 7,6% on sugar drinks.

UK implemented a gradual production tax, where the manufacturer pays more tax, if more than 5 gram per liter sugar is found in their products. This is good because it motivates the manufacturers to stay below that threshold.

The funny thing is that the sugar tax has the most benefit for countries that provide social healthcare, because less obesities and less diabetes patients equals lower costs, same for cigarettes. In UAE however their motivation will be different 😁

• Like (+1) 1