•  
Advertise here

fj cruiser xtreme- vibrations

Hi,

My 2016 fj cruiser xtreme has vibrations between 80-110km/hour- i can feel it in the steering and passenger also feels the vibration.

As it still has warranty, i took it  to toyota in al ain.

they changed bushes, tracking rod, something in the propeller shaft connection -all covered in warranty-thank god!

but unfortunately the vibrations persist.

They say that it is probably the tyres- bf goodridge-all terrain- 2015 tyres. they need  changing.

i was looking in the forum and both srikumar and gaurav suggested tyre shops in sharjah- with location map.

is there any particular tyre shop which is recommended or do i just try a few to see who gives the best prices.

i understand there is vehicle balancing as well- is there a tyre shop which will do this as well or do i take it to another place after fixing the new tyres to balance the whole vehicle?

secondly- i noticed a paint chip about 2x2cm in the passenger door - you can see the under coat- is there any recommended body shop which will repair this either in al ain or sharjah or dubai.

i will be in dubai this afternoon till sunday morning.

many thanks for any pointers.

much appreciated

regards

srini

• Like (+1) 1

Yes it could be tires as BFG are big beefy tires and when old they become hard and start loosing chunks from random places. I had loosing chunk problem with BFG and Cooper ATR in the past.

Before that, I would go to any tire shop and ask them to open all 4 tires to see if there is sand inside, clean them and balance again by seeing proper zero and zero on both sides. Sand in tire will behave in similar manner to vibrate at set speed - usually 80-100 - very common speed bracket for unbalanced tires or with sand presence.

If they still vibrate after this 50-100 dhs exercise then you definitely need new tires.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, srini62 said:

Hi,

My 2016 fj cruiser xtreme has vibrations between 80-110km/hour- i can feel it in the steering and passenger also feels the vibration.

As it still has warranty, i took it  to toyota in al ain.

they changed bushes, tracking rod, something in the propeller shaft connection -all covered in warranty-thank god!

but unfortunately the vibrations persist.

They say that it is probably the tyres- bf goodridge-all terrain- 2015 tyres. they need  changing.

i was looking in the forum and both srikumar and gaurav suggested tyre shops in sharjah- with location map.

is there any particular tyre shop which is recommended or do i just try a few to see who gives the best prices.

i understand there is vehicle balancing as well- is there a tyre shop which will do this as well or do i take it to another place after fixing the new tyres to balance the whole vehicle?

secondly- i noticed a paint chip about 2x2cm in the passenger door - you can see the under coat- is there any recommended body shop which will repair this either in al ain or sharjah or dubai.

i will be in dubai this afternoon till sunday morning.

many thanks for any pointers.

much appreciated

regards

srini

Hey buddy,  

i remember during the last drive you did with us, you had some issues with a flat or popped out tyre and we wanted to put on the spare tyre, but there was an issue with the wheel bolts because they were too short or something? 

As your rims are not the stock ones, you might want to get them looked at too. Or did these come originally with the car ?

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thanks. I think Toyota looked at this . Not sure if it was changed. 

by the way- no sand in the tyres- so no luck but to change tyres. If it persists then back to Toyota.

best price I got in Sharjah was for 2019 bf Goodrich 270/70/r16-k02 tyre- 700 dirhams including tax/fitting/balancing.

i am not sure if it is me or my lack of Hindi, I just got an overwhelming feeling that I am somehow being taken for a ride- I did not have cash and the guy insisted that I stay there till he gets the tires from somewhere in 5 minutes and once fixed can go together to the nearest atm.

this might be ok but I just felt being pushed into buying- so I left. Probably should have waited till I saw the tires to see f new or not.

i probably will try Abu Dhabi musaffah area for tires on the way back from airport on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

Change to Yokohama geolander if you are not into Extreme offroading, rock climbing, etc. For daily driver + best of offroading you will be very happy with geo.

BFG are always overpriced, heavy and noisy. They are very good for self recovery in extreme spots but very bad for long hill climb on stock engine, if turbo or supercharge they can rock. Had them for 1 year and seen the huge difference when I changed to michelin, but they aren't good for rocks as much as geo - best of three - road+sand+rock in 400 - 450 per tire, I guess.

I'm using my second set of geo from last 6 years.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.