•  
Advertise here

Wrangler Rear Differential - Spider Gear Chipped

Yes, bigger tyres can create issues. But from what I have read it would only for tyre size above 35 inch.

Regarding the gear ratio, just check if it's better to go higher up as you would have less wheel spin. In the case of rock crawling higher gear ratio is better as to get the max torque at low speed. But when driving on sand, you ideally need your wheel to spin to get you out of the situation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

The guys at the shop recommended 4.10 like the Rubicon or 4.56 I opted for 4.56. Since the stock is 3.21 I felt it wasn't enough torque specially climbing high dunes at lower speed. Let's try them out I have driven a friend's Rubicon and I honestly did not feel any difference.

• Like (+1) 2

I had researched a lot on this higher differential ratio. The build quality is generally better for the higher ratios, but this fact of wheel spin needs to be checked. When I read about it, didn't seem to make sense to go up the ratio.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the ratio says 4.56, that means for every 4.56 rotation of the engine the wheel would spin 1 time. This is good in Rocky terrain and you have the max torque band in the region of 3000-4000 rpm where you need to rotate the tires just a little over the rocks to cross the obstacle. But in sand it's the opposite. When you need to do the high hill climb, I believe a lower ratio is better as you will have more wheel spin at the same torque band.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Confused (0) 1

Yes you need to also do the front too. You can't do only one side.

The gear ratio determines how many times your driveshaft will have to rotate to spin the wheels once.

So the theory is that when larger tires are installed, you have several things working against you: the diameter of the tire, rotational mass, rolling resistance, and the added weight of the tires. 

By regearing you will increase the amount of force that is being sent to the axle, this allows the Jeep to move the tires with less of a strain on the engine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

A differential isn’t something you can just swap parts on. It needs to be properly set up, pinion height, backlash, bearing preload. I would be tempted to drop the oil out, put some engineers blue on the gears and rotate it a few times to see what’s really going on inside. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

So I asked on a WhatsApp group for Jeep owners and yeah they will break at one point this is very common. Next time I'll buy an FJ instead of a Jeep 😂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

37 minutes ago, Javier M said:

So I asked on a WhatsApp group for Jeep owners and yeah they will break at one point this is very common. Next time I'll buy an FJ instead of a Jeep 😂

Any solid reasoning for breaking rear differential....? Or just a regular offroad use is enough to break?

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Basically they all said it's normal wear and tear and after certain time off-road the spider gears will break. They also mentioned that it's because of the bigger tires - usually 33" and above, I am driving 33s.  

Edited by Javier M
  • Like (+1) 1