•  
Advertise here

Wrangler Rear Differential - Spider Gear Chipped

On 9/1/2019 at 5:11 AM, Frederic said:

Very strange indeed. You might want to get the diff bearings checked too. If there is excessive play in those, that might be the reason why the teeth chipped off. 

In case of regular overheating you should probably see a blueish color on the teeth too. I don’t think that’s the case here.

You mentioned that the car behaved differently off-road. The damage must have been pretty severe by then already. 

Did you use your diff locks recently or kept them engaged while driving? Using rear diff lock for anything else than recovery causes severe stress and friction on the axle and it’s components. 

I agree for the most part, especially about using the diff-lock on hard surfaces, but chipped gear teeth won't affect performance. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, treks said:

I agree for the most part, especially about using the diff-lock on hard surfaces, but chipped gear teeth won't affect performance. 

It did, I was driving it. But I guess the only way to find out is by testing it after I get it back.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Barry said:

A differential isn’t something you can just swap parts on. It needs to be properly set up, pinion height, backlash, bearing preload. I would be tempted to drop the oil out, put some engineers blue on the gears and rotate it a few times to see what’s really going on inside. 

Indeed. This should be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Javier M said:

It did, I was driving it. But I guess the only way to find out is by testing it after I get it back.

I'm intrigued. In what way did the vehicle behave differently? Serious question.

• Like (+1) 2

people who drive the car daily can feel things which I (i am talking bout myself only) wouldn't or in some cases take time to notice has happened to me quite few times

• Like (+1) 1

It was very strange, if I was in soft sand the car just would not want to go forward. The engine revved just fine but the car just would feel like the front tires were spinning but not the back tires. 

• Like (+1) 1

So the car is not ready yet but they called me to let me know that when I get it back I need to make sure I do the break in to the new ring & pinion gears. I already knew this but basically you need to do this:

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 3 weeks later...

So finally after all the wait and inspections from the shop they finally cleared it to go off-road. I will be testing it the whole weekend 😎

I kept asking around and all of the Jeep owners gave me the same answer. This is common in Jeeps. 

Next time this happens I will be installing an LSD instead. 

Edited by Javier M
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3