•  
Advertise here

Wrangler Rear Differential - Spider Gear Chipped

Today I took my Jeep to the service, I noticed something was off during the drive. Turns out the spider gears are chipped. I'll have to take it easy for the next couple of weeks while the new gears settle. 😭

IMG-20190831-WA0004.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 5
  • WOW (+2) 3

22 minutes ago, Javier M said:

Today I took my Jeep to the service, I noticed something was off during the drive. Turns out the spider gears are chipped. I'll have to take it easy for the next couple of weeks while the new gears settle. 😭

IMG-20190831-WA0004.jpg

Did you have any noise? Was the differential low on gear oil for this to happen?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

27 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Did you have any noise? Was the differential low on gear oil for this to happen?

I didn't hear noice at all. But it just wasn't the same off-road I could not crawl out of simple soft sand. The oil was fine. My best guess is that they overheated. 

Edited by Javier M
  • Like (+1) 5

Sad to hear that about your rear differential. 

Usually rear differential teeth chips under excessive heat or stress. Oil is usually a first thing to doubt, second is the stress.

• Have you been using the hand brake system for recovery but aggressively? - Main cause for diff failure
  • Have you been doing burn outs that end with sudden braking?
  • Have you been using the required spec diff oil?
  • Like (+1) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

7 hours ago, Gaurav said:

• Have you been using the hand brake system for recovery but aggressively? - Main cause for diff failure
  • Have you been doing burn outs that end with sudden braking?
  • Have you been using the required spec diff oil?

1. Not at all I don't even use the hand brake off-road.

2. I don't do that

3. Yes always

• Like (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, Javier M said:

2. I don't do that

3. Yes always

Very weird then, have you researched on specific wrangler model or diff model to have this known issue....? As diff usually doesn't fail that often and so soon, what's the odometer reading on ur wrangler?

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Javier M said:

2. I don't do that

3. Yes always

Very strange indeed. You might want to get the diff bearings checked too. If there is excessive play in those, that might be the reason why the teeth chipped off. 

In case of regular overheating you should probably see a blueish color on the teeth too. I don’t think that’s the case here.

You mentioned that the car behaved differently off-road. The damage must have been pretty severe by then already. 

Did you use your diff locks recently or kept them engaged while driving? Using rear diff lock for anything else than recovery causes severe stress and friction on the axle and it’s components. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

There is no diff lock on the sport version only in the Rubicon 😭. I already told them to change the bearings because some debris from the gears could have gotten inside and is better safe than sorry.

My car is 77k km. 

It is very weird indeed I have tried to see if this is common for these cars but I haven't seen anything online that would indicate that. However the guys from the shop said they replace them all the time so seems it's common, maybe a design flaw?

I would say the bigger tires might have had something to do with this. More mass to move the gears. Since they are already opening everything I also asked them to put a higher gear ratio I hope this would also help to get me more torque and spread more evenly the force from the axels

• Like (+1) 2