•  
Advertise here

New Nissan Patrol 2020

Gaurav

Before commenting on this @desertdude please answer:

• How many times you have been to offroad in last 10 years?
  • How many times you have seen stock Nissan Patrol Y62 for dune bashing?
  • How many times you have driven Nissan Patrol Y62 for dune bashing?

Bumper is only the first turn off and one of the major road block to take this beast offroad.

Second is the tire profile and size, not meant for offroad from any angle.

Third is ton of electric sensors that fails intermittently.

In one of the last drive @Adel Muradov Y62 Nissan Patrol got bogged in a small ditch, could have cleared by its own, but unable to crawl out. After several tries, we winch him out and realized that it's 4x4 light was blinking and it has switch to 2 wheel mode when he wanted to switch to LO gear from High Gear. After coming out, after few meters drive it engaged back to 4x4 and he was fine.

Even while I was winching Asif was on drivers seat and kept of giving gas to assist the winching process and rear wheels were spinning but front were not moving at all.

Engine, HorsePower, Gear and everything is good, just that its no longer bullt for such offroad use anymore.

That's why Nissan brought back Patrol Safari Y61, as its been tested and proven for UAE offroad scene.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

7 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Before commenting on this @desertdude please answer:

• How many times you have been to offroad in last 10 years?
  • How many times you have seen stock Nissan Patrol Y62 for dune bashing?
  • How many times you have driven Nissan Patrol Y62 for dune bashing?

Bumper is only the first turn off and one of the major road block to take this beast offroad.

Second is the tire profile and size, not meant for offroad from any angle.

Third is ton of electric sensors that fails intermittently.

In one of the last drive @Adel Muradov Y62 Nissan Patrol got bogged in a small ditch, could have cleared by its own, but unable to crawl out. After several tries, we winch him out and realized that it's 4x4 light was blinking and it has switch to 2 wheel mode when he wanted to switch to LO gear from High Gear. After coming out, after few meters drive it engaged back to 4x4 and he was fine.

Even while I was winching Asif was on drivers seat and kept of giving gas to assist the winching process and rear wheels were spinning but front were not moving at all.

Engine, HorsePower, Gear and everything is good, just that its no longer bullt for such offroad use anymore.

That's why Nissan brought back Patrol Safari Y61, as its been tested and proven for UAE offroad scene.

That's a strawmen argument even then to answer you with all your weekend warrioring combined over the years in the sandbox I still have more offroading experience, because you do this on the weekend for fun. I did this as a profession daily and sometimes twice a day all over the country. Places you've never been to and can't go no more because they are off limits now. Plus post retirement weekend warrior offroading for a good number of years as well .

Now let me ask you how many times have you been in off road in a stock modern 4x4 off-road? A stock Patrol will kick a 2020 Pajeros ass anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

And your example is anecdotal and doesn't prove anything other than driver error not being use his vehicle properly. I've out driven a previous gen 2005 Vtec Patrol with a 3' straight pipe and chipped motor in a 1988 2dr 4cyl Pathfinder with a leaking carburetor. Does that mean the 1998 Pathfinder was better, no. The driver of the patrol didn't know what he was doing.

Only issue is you measure off road performance in how far something can climb faya. While majority of the people are not really interested in that because it's just a pissing contest as to whose is bigger. 

• Like (+1) 1

You took this in totally wrong angle - in all aspects.

• You doing train track 3 million times a day or we doing sandbox has no correlation with Patrol Y62 - Is no longer made for offroading. PERIOD.
  • If you want to compare proper 4x4 then compete Y62 with FJC, Xterra and Wrangler than present day Pajero, which is another imposter of 4x4 for mall cruising or 7 seater audience.
  • Electronics failing to engage 4x4 when needed - THE MOST - is nothing to do with driver or offroaders, its a reliability issue and should be addressed by Nissan Japan, similar to cruise control failing at highway or exploding airbags.

What I actually meant by my 3 questions:

• Your era of capable offroading 4x4 is LONG GONE AND DUSTED.
  • Rem old sheikh video use to drive Merc sedan in sand, can you try that now with modern merc....? NO.
  • Today most 4x4 is purely aim to 7 seater rat race but they still keep LO gear and diff lock to make buyers happy.
  • In 2019, we have seen 4 Nissan Patrol Y62 coughing up on the first "newbie drive" in Maliha and not on Faya.

Last but not least even for a moment if we admit Y62 is greatest offroader of this century. Still there is no fun doing offroading in something that is a ticking bomb and driver heart is sinking at every dune to not to break the bumper, fail electronics and expensive repair bill after the first drive.

• Like (+1) 2

I second @Gaurav bhai opinion. @desertdude I've followed you from the time I started offloading. I followed your choice of vehicle, your style of driving and the routes you have taken. I don't doubt your off-road skills and could still learn a lot from you, however the newer generation of everything comes more apt and safe for the roads. With all the computers kicking in with so much data which modern vehicles read and send signals to the car @100 pieces of information every second mostly the car decides what it's gotta do rather than driver skills. Moreover these pieces of data can mean disaster offloading at times as these rules should not apply offroad. For instance while side slopping we all know that you should continue acceleration through the whole dune without applying brakes as incidents happen when you break your momentum. In most modern cars including the Y62 the engine kills the power as it thinks you're gonna flip. This in tirn puts you more in danger. Another instance can be while criss crossing the car thinks it's over turned and engages side airbags which is again not the best solution for off roading. With our recent experiences there are many more incidents which make us think the modern 4x4s like Y62 are not meant for off road.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

I am not a true offroader, but i can see the Y62 isnt a real offroad car. Its a flex. Hey, I can afford the newest Patrol so FU rest of you poor people driving round in your old model Patrols and Pajeros. I can afford a newer car than you, even if it is crap offroad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

And to support this further, we have not seen those 4 Nissan Patrol Y62 again after there first offroad drive.

If bumper is trimmed like in Adel case, they are good for newbie - fewbie level drive and not beyond that.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Whether it is capable or not, I would never take a brand new 250k AED car to the desert, I personally think people are insane taking them out there. 

Edited by Javier M
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

14 hours ago, Gaurav said:

You took this in totally wrong angle - in all aspects.

• You doing train track 3 million times a day or we doing sandbox has no correlation with Patrol Y62 - Is no longer made for offroading. PERIOD.
  • If you want to compare proper 4x4 then compete Y62 with FJC, Xterra and Wrangler than present day Pajero, which is another imposter of 4x4 for mall cruising or 7 seater audience.
  • Electronics failing to engage 4x4 when needed - THE MOST - is nothing to do with driver or offroaders, its a reliability issue and should be addressed by Nissan Japan, similar to cruise control failing at highway or exploding airbags.

What I actually meant by my 3 questions:

• Your era of capable offroading 4x4 is LONG GONE AND DUSTED.
  • Rem old sheikh video use to drive Merc sedan in sand, can you try that now with modern merc....? NO.
  • Today most 4x4 is purely aim to 7 seater rat race but they still keep LO gear and diff lock to make buyers happy.
  • In 2019, we have seen 4 Nissan Patrol Y62 coughing up on the first "newbie drive" in Maliha and not on Faya.

Last but not least even for a moment if we admit Y62 is greatest offroader of this century. Still there is no fun doing offroading in something that is a ticking bomb and driver heart is sinking at every dune to not to break the bumper, fail electronics and expensive repair bill after the first drive.

Thats the whole point when compared to "most" new 4x4s it is still a very capable offroader save for the pure offroaders like wranglers, FJC, etc etc, but compare it to the rest, its pretty up there. 

FYI until very recently ( I think a couple of years back ) when they were still offering the regular manual transmission a lot of my Safari buddies were using it for daily desert safaris  with no issues at all. 

And with a little mods you can still have a lot of fun

11 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

I second @Gaurav bhai opinion. @desertdude I've followed you from the time I started offloading. I followed your choice of vehicle, your style of driving and the routes you have taken. I don't doubt your off-road skills and could still learn a lot from you, however the newer generation of everything comes more apt and safe for the roads. With all the computers kicking in with so much data which modern vehicles read and send signals to the car @100 pieces of information every second mostly the car decides what it's gotta do rather than driver skills. Moreover these pieces of data can mean disaster offloading at times as these rules should not apply offroad. For instance while side slopping we all know that you should continue acceleration through the whole dune without applying brakes as incidents happen when you break your momentum. In most modern cars including the Y62 the engine kills the power as it thinks you're gonna flip. This in tirn puts you more in danger. Another instance can be while criss crossing the car thinks it's over turned and engages side airbags which is again not the best solution for off roading. With our recent experiences there are many more incidents which make us think the modern 4x4s like Y62 are not meant for off road.

Traction control, Stability control etc etc have been around for over 2 decades, hell my 1998 Range Rover had traction control. Admittedly some of the early variations had issues but more testing, customer complaints, warranty claims have mostly sorted out these issues. Now most cars come with off road modes. sand, mud, snow, rock etc etc which disable most of these or put them at the lowest sensitivity. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Javier M said:

Whether it is capable or not, I would never take a brand new 250k AED car to the desert, I personally think people are insane taking them out there. 

^^^^This but then again you have videos of people in Bentleys in the desert! 
Its a promo vid but still fun to watch here is my colleague Marshal, real name Mashal Mohsin having some with the new Rolls Royce Cullinan. 

And me having some fun back in the day demo'ing for some action shots for the then released Porsche Cayenne for the press. White one with orange oval logo on the doors

• Like (+1) 2