Adnoc oil change | Best car battery | Best engine oil | Best fuel efficient cars | Best resale value cars | Car detailing | Dubai police fines discount | Salik recharge | Tasjeel comprehensive test |
P0335 | P0170 | P0299 | P200A | P2237 | P2056 | P2251 | P2271 | P2231 | P2253 | P2425 | P0690 | P2253

Frederic

Special vs Super petrol in UAE

You probably hear this question from the petrol attendant every single time:

"Special or Super, sir ?"

In UAE, the octane level of Special is 95, while Super is 98.

I've been refueling Special-95 for as long as i can remember. After all, with the higher petrol prices, every Dirham matters.

The following claims are made, please help me in debunking or confirming them based on your experiences and opinions:

* It is claimed that the Super-98 has more fuel additives, making it less likely to have your injectors clogged up ? Fact or Myth ?

* It is claimed that people 'feel' their car is more powerful when running on Super. Fact or Myth ? (supercars vs commuter vehicles...) 

* Who knows or checks his vehicles manual to verify if the car is recommended to run on 95 or 98 ?

• Like 2
  • Well Done 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Higher octane counts but only 3 more molecules won't make much difference if you really into it then try vp race fuels you would tell the difference like day and night...

Usually the grade mentioned in the owner manual is the Lowest you can got many times I have seen a plus along with it that means that going higher wouldn't be a problem

The most octane I have used was 210 in my Rav it was really good acceleration but that 19 liter drum didn't have much millage as I was poring it used to evaporate pretty quick and I used to see the needle drop in front of my eyes but that throttle response is crazy....

• Like 2

95 is good enough for most vehicles including most with forced induction, however some super cars like ferrari recommend to run on 98.

You and I would not feel the difference from 95 to 98, however, we will feel the difference from 91 to 98 or from 95 to ethanol. Ethanol will actually give you more horses (not so much though) I tested on a supercharged mustang I used to own 95 vs ethanol (E85) and it gave me around 35-40 extra hp, of course that was only for testing in the dyno. 

• Like 3

95 to 98 has difference in fuel mileage and in performance too, no matter how minuscule difference is but SURELY there is a difference for better in higher octane.

I have tested this many times to run full tank on long drive alone (to be fair with test) with 98 and then 95, and 98 did result in couple of extra kms almost equally proportion to extra fils you spend on the full tank.

Same for performance - 98 is an inch better to climb the tallest dune in the world to 65% height - Right @Srikumar?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Higher octane is just to stop pinging or early detonation although some modern performance cars do advise to use higher octane fuel.

Fifth gear did a comparison on the sane. While the high performance car performance can was able to push out more HP on the Dyno with high octane and the regular run around it didn't make a difference.

Search on YouTube the clip is there. I'm just too lazy to search and post it here now

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

95 to 98 has difference in fuel mileage and in performance too, no matter how minuscule difference is but SURELY there is a difference for better in higher octane.

I have tested this many times to run full tank on long drive alone (to be fair with test) with 98 and then 95, and 98 did result in couple of extra kms almost equally proportion to extra fils you spend on the full tank.

Same for performance - 98 is an inch better to climb the tallest dune in the world to 65% height - Right @Srikumar?

I think octane number is mainly to prevent knocking. So am not sure how it can help increase the HP.

My ride does 64% of the tallest dune with 91 octane, and I think I can live with that. 😁

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

My ride does 64% of the tallest dune with 91 octane, and I think I can live with that. 😁

Seriously 64%, maybe next time we need proper photo proof than the plastic bags 😋

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Seriously 64%, maybe next time we need proper photo proof than the plastic bags 😋

Oh c'mon. If we go by the pictures, what you say was 65% was not even 20%, remember. 😂

• Haha 3

This is never ending debate, let's settle it on Moreeb this year in few months time.

Moreeb Climb.JPG

• Haha 3

Game on buddy with same tire pressure. 

• Like 1
  • Totally Agree 2