•  
Advertise here

Special vs Super petrol in UAE

Frederic

You probably hear this question from the petrol attendant every single time:

"Special or Super, sir ?"

In UAE, the octane level of Special is 95, while Super is 98.

I've been refueling Special-95 for as long as i can remember. After all, with the higher petrol prices, every Dirham matters.

The following claims are made, please help me in debunking or confirming them based on your experiences and opinions:

* It is claimed that the Super-98 has more fuel additives, making it less likely to have your injectors clogged up ? Fact or Myth ?

* It is claimed that people 'feel' their car is more powerful when running on Super. Fact or Myth ? (supercars vs commuter vehicles...) 

* Who knows or checks his vehicles manual to verify if the car is recommended to run on 95 or 98 ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Higher octane counts but only 3 more molecules won't make much difference if you really into it then try vp race fuels you would tell the difference like day and night...

Usually the grade mentioned in the owner manual is the Lowest you can got many times I have seen a plus along with it that means that going higher wouldn't be a problem

The most octane I have used was 210 in my Rav it was really good acceleration but that 19 liter drum didn't have much millage as I was poring it used to evaporate pretty quick and I used to see the needle drop in front of my eyes but that throttle response is crazy....

• Like (+1) 2

95 is good enough for most vehicles including most with forced induction, however some super cars like ferrari recommend to run on 98.

You and I would not feel the difference from 95 to 98, however, we will feel the difference from 91 to 98 or from 95 to ethanol. Ethanol will actually give you more horses (not so much though) I tested on a supercharged mustang I used to own 95 vs ethanol (E85) and it gave me around 35-40 extra hp, of course that was only for testing in the dyno. 

• Like (+1) 3

95 to 98 has a difference in fuel mileage and in performance too, but very minuscule.

If you test the same car with 91 and then with 98, you will feel the difference is noticeable.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, Frederic said:

* It is claimed that the Super-98 has more fuel additives, making it less likely to have your injectors clogged up ? Fact or Myth ?

MYTH

* It is claimed that people 'feel' their car is more powerful when running on Super. Fact or Myth ? (supercars vs commuter vehicles...) 

FACT, but its hardly noticeable difference to the driver.

* Who knows or checks his vehicles manual to verify if the car is recommended to run on 95 or 98 ?

It is even written on your car fuel cap if you are lazy to dig the manual.

Best is to stick to what is written as OEM advice, always.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

In modern cars you could run higher octane which would increase power and fuel mileage, depending on choice of octane you go with. 

In older cars there’s no power to be gained on higher octane as they were designed to run with 85 or 87 or 90 Octane so getting 91 (eplus) or 95 (special) is plenty.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use