•  
Advertise here

Back to school

Barry

Most of the time I’ve been here I’ve been travelling on the metro. Apart from the stinky people who never wash and wear the same clothes every day and make you physically gag when they stand beside you, the people who insist on watching tiktok videos on their phone at max volume, the people with coconut oil covered hair who seem to want to rub it on my fresh white linen shirt, the people who stand at the door and refuse to move, the people who try to push you back into the train when you’re trying to get out, the Botox jumeirah janes with the fake boobs who insist on discussing last nights partners penis size on loudspeaker so everyone can hear, it has been a dream. You leave home at the same time every day, you get to work at the same time every day. It’s as reliable as a Karama Rolex. 

Ive always heard my friends talking about driving to work during crotch goblin delivery hours, aka school bus time, but I thought meh, it can’t be that bad. 

WOW!

I started driving here at the start of the summer. I was so happy I could get to work in 15 minutes, 10 on a good day. Less if you know where the speed cameras are.

My journey has increased to 45 minutes of pure traffic hell mingling with some of the most horrible, uncivilised drivers on the road. Constant honking and flashing, people trying to push you out of your lane, people who seem to be set out and hell bent to have an accident from the moment they woke up. If I stuck to my regular route, this journey would take an hour but luckily I spent some time over the summer learning the back streets and shortcuts. 

Seriously considering going back to public transport for commuting and keeping the car for night time cruising when all the Generation Z whippersnappers are safely locked up in their safe spaces. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Nice Metro description - with worlds longest sentence.

And School hours are crushing everyone. That's why I dont plan to leave office or home during school bus hours, it simply double up the traffic on road and slow down the usual flow.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Welcome to the daily fight and road struggles buddy. I consider myself a very patient driver, but sometimes bite into my steering wheel from all the idiots I see on the road and do not seem to grasp the ability to:

- stay in their lane 

- take a roundabout like they should

- leave their phone alone for 5 mins

- tailgating others and think that’s  normal

- thinking that their bigger car does NOT mean we should move for them.

I gladly take a longer route every day via the E611 that takes me 15 mins longer to reach, but without too much stress. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I'm blessed. Shifting did the trick. It used to take me minimum 75 minutes to reach work after paying all Salik, from my new place it takes me 35 minutes with all the school buses on the roll.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

I gotta drop my kid to school in Dubai from Sharjah. If you know the roads and even which Lanes on which roads to be on. They you'll be alright. Takes me 25 ish minutes to reach school.

Earlier I use to drop my missus to work in Barsha from Sharjah. And that didn't take more than 40-45mins but I bypassed the city with what was then called the bypass road. During rush hours avoid shk Zayed, MBZ and dxb shj roads

• Like (+1) 2

@Barry I just heard that some schools weren't opened last week and will be opening from tomorrow.

So add 10 more minutes in your calculation and some more good music in your iPhone.

• Haha (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Well for it's all good until evening starts then all roads get congested from people returning from work but and I really avoid going to Dubai unless it's work related...

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

1.5 Billion happy and 1 unhappy passenger :-)

image.png

Hmmmmmmm

We all love UAE and are happy for the opportunity to earn tax free cash but there is no denying the metro needs some proper enforcement. 

Some people here don’t realise the opportunities they have. Treat your fellow travelers with respect. No offence to my Indian friends but you don’t have to climb on the roof of the train to get where you are going. Metro trains run every 3 minutes. Wait. You will get to where you need to go. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Barry said:

Hmmmmmmm

We all love UAE and are happy for the opportunity to earn tax free cash but there is no denying the metro needs some proper enforcement. 

Some people here don’t realise the opportunities they have. Treat your fellow travelers with respect. No offence to my Indian friends but you don’t have to climb on the roof of the train to get where you are going. Metro trains run every 3 minutes. Wait. You will get to where you need to go. 

You're starting to sound more like my Brit buddies than an Irish man. Even they stop whinging after a year or two of how things are not like back home. :D

Edited by desertdude
  • Haha (+1) 2