•  
Advertise here

The New Landrover Defender 2020

It’s finally here guys, post your remarks, comments !

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad (0) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

My first thoughts:

* Retro-style, boxy design, which i personally like, especially on the SWB model.

* Trim levels that go from basic all the way to the top, which is a bit overkill for whoever decides to buy a Defender.

* The 2.0l turbocharged with 300hp is a good start, but the 3 liter straight six turbocharged 400hp engine will be a beast.

* Alu-body vs ladderframe: we've seen most 4x4's making that cross-over to save on weight and gain more performance.

* Air suspension: Fantastic, and standard on the LWB (110). Reliability issues with this climate ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

How can you compare Defender with Jimny vs G vs Wrangler.

Time will tell who we see regularly in the desert and/or on workshop.

So far true offroader to stand by its name is Wrangler only in the compared league.

From commercials itself look it lacks the UAE style offroad.

We need more videos of tearing dunes, ridge riding, straight climbs and sideys for UAE market.

image.png

image.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I have seen the Defender in a Zebra print quite a few times on Al Qudra road the last couple of months. Probably taking it out for testing. 

It's gonna be an expensive rig, but if it performs well, than at least i know what i should be putting aside in my piggy bank for the next coming years to eventually try to find a secondhand one :) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

IMO this is horrendous. 

I feel the reason why RR designs standout on the road is cos of its straight lines running parallel to the road. 

The moment those lines turn into a curve its just like any other car on the road. Thats the reason i detested the Evoque design. 

I still very much prefer the boxy style of defender. Its simply beautiful. 

Defender-627533.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

14 minutes ago, Jeh said:

IMO this is horrendous. 

I feel the reason why RR designs standout on the road is cos of its straight lines running parallel to the road. 

The moment those lines turn into a curve its just like any other car on the road. Thats the reason i detested the Evoque design. 

I still very much prefer the boxy style of defender. Its simply beautiful. 

Defender-627533.jpg

The curvatures have reasons:

* Aerodynamics to make sure you get the best possible performance vs consumption. In 2019 this is a big concern while this was not the case 20 years back.

* Safety: There are thousands of rules and regulations of which they have to abide with regards to cripple zones, pedestrian safety, crash impact testing, and so many others....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

It needs more ground clearance, period.

They published a video of desert testing, but I seriously doubt the driver's ability to drive in the desert, in other words, he is a joke. 

• Like (+1) 2

Totally agree with @Jeh those straight lines, better clearance and rugged look is more than required whether it is capable offroad or not.

Rav4 is capable offroad in right hands, but you don't see people flaunting Rav4 as oppose to G wagon.

G Wagon is capable but hardly less than 1% of G owner will ever venture in desert / offroad.

@Frederic we all know this industry standard, regulation and bla bla but I still see Wrangler preserving their legendary looks than adding the curves of Grand Cherokee.

If LR really wanted it, they could have done that without distorting the legend image, real brand equity for LR.

This in other words is "confusingly similar" to discovery, evoque, kia sorento and 1000 other common 4x4's.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

For me new Defender looks just awesome, well done!

But I am disappointed by its small wheels, clearance, etc. Even if engine and, hopefully, transmission is capable, I have some doubts on the overall performance.

But it looks superb! Probably it will be sold very well to those people who do not really go off-road but just pretend that they go there. There are a lot of them!

So, from business point of view, it is a right decision.

• Like (+1) 1