•  
Advertise here

Car for Beginners/New Drivers

syedyaseer

Gentlemen! Thought crossed my mind rather left me confused. Wonder which car will be best for the beginner(New License Holder - Absolutely New on road - Not even tried in the country of origin) in UAE. Please share your views on the following, New or used, type of car(Sedan, HB or SUV), Brand & Model with simple justification please. 

• Like (+1) 1

Very very old used car for at least first year till he/she understand that every accident or ding is caused by him/her is because of there own actions than just pure bad luck.

I mean get their stage of denial cross few times, let them bake in sun (road side) for few times to make them seasoned driver who understand how road traffic actually works than the rule book theory. Once they learn to discount AH and hold there temperament even when they are right for 5 seconds than wasting 5 days and getting baked, they will be ready for any car.

Why old, as it will cheaper to have few more dings on beaten up sunny, yaris, corolla without losing an arm/leg. Also slower the car lesser the impact speed - so they don't hit someone at 140 or 160.

I had 4 accidents in first year and then 2 in next 5 years and after that no accident since 12+ year now. Same for my wife, cousins and few friends. It's a known phenomena for all new drivers.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

20 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Very very old used car for at least first year till he/she understand that every accident or ding is caused by him/her is because of there own actions than just pure bad luck.

I mean get their stage of denial cross few times, let them bake in sun (road side) for few times to make them seasoned driver who understand how road traffic actually works than the rule book theory. Once they learn to discount AH and hold there temperament even when they are right for 5 seconds than wasting 5 days and getting baked, they will be ready for any car.

Why old, as it will cheaper to have few more dings on beaten up sunny, yaris, corolla without losing an arm/leg. Also slower the car lesser the impact speed - so they don't hit someone at 140 or 160.

I had 4 accidents in first year and then 2 in next 5 years and after that no accident since 12+ year now. Same for my wife, cousins and few friends. It's a known phenomena for all new drivers.

Thanks Bhai for the detailed response. I agree 100% to what you have mentioned. Just want to know. Is it advisable to check on used mini cooper or fiat 500. Im not aware which among these are good.

• WOW (+2) 1

46 minutes ago, syedyaseer said:

Thanks Bhai for the detailed response. I agree 100% to what you have mentioned. Just want to know. Is it advisable to check on used mini cooper or fiat 500. Im not aware which among these are good.

Fiats! Are you nuts, most unreliable POS ever and good luck trying to find parts if anything goes wrong and Mini is basically a BMW i.e shit and expensive to maintain.

Stick with an old jap ecobox like a civic or corolla. Many for sale for 5k and under. I just saw a real nice white civic 2005 with 160k asking 5500. Buy something like that and spend another 1000 to bring it up to scratch and let the new driver have at it! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

27 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Fiats! Are you nuts, most unreliable POS ever and good luck trying to find parts if anything goes wrong and Mini is basically a BMW i.e shit and expensive to maintain.

Stick with an old jap ecobox like a civic or corolla. Many for sale for 5k and under. I just saw a real nice white civic 2005 with 160k asking 5500. Buy something like that and spend another 1000 to bring it up to scratch and let the new driver have at it! 

Thank You @desertdude. That is the reason im on @Carnity. When i dont know. I just accept it and put across for expert opinions here. Civic 2005 VTI was my crush when i moved to UAE in 2008. Appreciate if you can share link of the one you saw. or please guide me thru. 

• Like (+1) 1

look for any good Japanese car then you wont have to spend 250 per spark plug for fiat which is not available anywhere except al ghandi or a 1200 dhs rear bumper of mini

ps : get him or her a tercel or echo you wont be sorry

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1