•  
Advertise here

Are LinkedIn Jobs are fake?

kirbi97

I have been jobless for over a month now, I have applied more than 100 jobs matching my profile on LinkedIn but got no reply from any company.

Have you guys also experience this? Which is your favorite job hunting site, for those who are/were searching? Any other advice to land a job quickly is highly appreciable. Thanks guys.

• Like (+1) 2

I can vouch on this. At this time LinkedIn is the best platform for job search. You have direct access to recruiters. This is my first hand experience as I'm also going through this phase of life. Being in HR myself I have recruited in 100's thru LinkedIn. 

• Like (+1) 1

What industry do you work in? What job are you looking for? Maybe someone here can help?

Dont forget to look at indeed, bayt and dubizzle. 

The market is tough at the minute. I’ve been searching for a new job for the last 3 months and I’ve been getting offers but most of them have been stupid offers. Last offer I had was 4K per month to manage a garage. 2 years ago that would have been a 15k minimum job. There are so many new people coming to Dubai looking for jobs and offering to do the work for a quarter of the price, so the older more experienced people are getting pushed out. 

Racism is a big issue too. When you read the ads you see, European only, kabayan only, Indian only, Pakistani only. Illegal, but nothing is ever done about it. A lot of people get hired because of the colour of their skin, wether they can do the job or not. When I first came to UAE I had a hard time getting a job as a mechanic. People would always tell me white people cant be mechanics. Of course they can, I’m from a white country, all the mechanics are white, but here people looked at me like some sort of novelty because only brown people can be mechanics here.

Then you’ve got wasta and nepotism. People will hire people they know, just because they know them. It doesn’t matter if they can do the job.

You really need to do something to make yourself stand out from the crowd. Have something nobody else has and make yourself noticeable. I used to have people sending me CVs every day. Most of them went straight in the bin. But, a good CV will stand out and be noticed. Change your CV around and make it applicable to the job you are applying for. Don’t just make one generic CV and send it to everyone. Changing a few sentences here and there can make it seem like you’re really interested in that particular job and make you stand out. You need to sell yourself. It’s not the employers job to make you shine, it’s yours.

I won’t lie to you and say the job market here is awesome, because it isn’t. Finding a job takes persistence and hard work. When you’re working you work 8 hours a day, maybe more. When you’re not working, that’s 8 hours a day you should be spending looking for work. 

The most important thing is don’t give up hope. Keep searching. If you try hard enough, you will get there in the end. It will take time but you will get there. Stay positive, keep applying. Print your CVs and go and visit companies in your industry. You can always sell yourself better personally than you can from an email.

Good luck

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 6

14 hours ago, Barry said:

What industry do you work in? What job are you looking for? Maybe someone here can help?

Dont forget to look at indeed, bayt and dubizzle. 

The market is tough at the minute. I’ve been searching for a new job for the last 3 months and I’ve been getting offers but most of them have been stupid offers. Last offer I had was 4K per month to manage a garage. 2 years ago that would have been a 15k minimum job. There are so many new people coming to Dubai looking for jobs and offering to do the work for a quarter of the price, so the older more experienced people are getting pushed out. 

Racism is a big issue too. When you read the ads you see, European only, kabayan only, Indian only, Pakistani only. Illegal, but nothing is ever done about it. A lot of people get hired because of the colour of their skin, wether they can do the job or not. When I first came to UAE I had a hard time getting a job as a mechanic. People would always tell me white people cant be mechanics. Of course they can, I’m from a white country, all the mechanics are white, but here people looked at me like some sort of novelty because only brown people can be mechanics here.

Then you’ve got wasta and nepotism. People will hire people they know, just because they know them. It doesn’t matter if they can do the job.

You really need to do something to make yourself stand out from the crowd. Have something nobody else has and make yourself noticeable. I used to have people sending me CVs every day. Most of them went straight in the bin. But, a good CV will stand out and be noticed. Change your CV around and make it applicable to the job you are applying for. Don’t just make one generic CV and send it to everyone. Changing a few sentences here and there can make it seem like you’re really interested in that particular job and make you stand out. You need to sell yourself. It’s not the employers job to make you shine, it’s yours.

I won’t lie to you and say the job market here is awesome, because it isn’t. Finding a job takes persistence and hard work. When you’re working you work 8 hours a day, maybe more. When you’re not working, that’s 8 hours a day you should be spending looking for work. 

The most important thing is don’t give up hope. Keep searching. If you try hard enough, you will get there in the end. It will take time but you will get there. Stay positive, keep applying. Print your CVs and go and visit companies in your industry. You can always sell yourself better personally than you can from an email.

Good luck

Woww!! @Barry You have covered all key points in one go. I absolutely agree on the fact that market is not that good. But it is a life cycle. It will turn positive sooner or later. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, adil said:

Some senior guy posted this on LinkedIn, removed his name due to privacy issue.

image.png.0c473d487f73510a392c525eb20be9e8.png

It is surprising what some people will do to get a job. I remember a while back I was hiring for a mechanic job. I had loads of females, teachers, nurses, etc track my phone number down online, sending me suggestive photos and asking me out on dates. People who would never make it as a mechanic. I like the tinder analogy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I had a similar issue as i'm in the IT field. I moved down here and started looking for a job back in sweden i would have a job tomorrow if i moved back but it took about 3 month and 250 applications and more calls, from that i got 1 reply and that's the jobb i have today.

So hang in there and as said so elegant by @Barry make sure you customize your CV to show that you want that specific job especially in the first few lines of the CV.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I have been at both ends of this I can concur on a few of the points aready raised. Here some insights that you do need to take into account with Linkedin. 

1. Recruiters use it to identify people who are unhappy in their job. When a job is posted and people apply, the poor agents go running to the company where the recruits come from = not a genuine job.
  2. Many jobs posted are already filled internally, but they go hunting for potential alternatives just in case. 99 times out of 100 the internal candidate gets the job because they are the internal candidate = not a 100% genuine job. 
  3. Many jobs are posted speculatively by multiple agents someof whom have the instriction, some of whom hope that by brining in a candidate they might be able to get the instruction = potentially a genuine job, but not one that that agent has in its books
  4. Many agencies apply computer scanning to filter the CVs. If you CV does not have the key words they are loking for, even if you are the best possible candidate in the world, you will be excluded by the automatic system  = genuine job, computer searches.
  5. People tend to employ people they know like and trust. Don't reply to the job application, network your way to teh job poster and get in touch direct. An internal referral is always better than being one of the many = genuine job, but network to get there. 
  6. Is it possibly your CV that is not working? Are you preparing a new CV for EVERY SINGLE position. I kid you not, I drafted a new CV for every application. Small changes maybe, but someone opening the mail and seeing  a xxxx CV, vs CV prepared for xxx company has much more impact = genuine job, make sure you do your homework before you apply.
  7. You are not right for every job, even if you think you are. All companies have a culture and some principles by which they operate. I have been excluded for being too old, too experienced, too qualified, too whatever ... in the end, tehy know what they are looking for = genuine job, but they are just not looking for you. 
  8. There are sadly soem cruel, manupulative SOBs out there looking to earn a big amount of money from you. They post jobs, but what they really want to do is sell their CV writing services or some make it rich quick scheme. You don't know until you are too far down the line = no job, just misery and manipulation.

LinkedIn is brilliant if used effectively. I pay for a premium account (especially when unemployed) because that investment means I get more information and can make my searches targeted and am assured that the poster is real. 

Applying through the normal portal is regrettably hopeless. Because of the situation just about every job gets 1000 applicants. You need to narrow your chances from 1/1000 to better odds. 

Never ever rely just on LinkedIn and boards for your job search. LinkedIn is about networking, so use it for that as well. Post interesting content that gets you noticed. Link with people that can advise you. 

And your question about favorite site ... anywhere but online. Get out into the world and make sure you network with people, at the gym, in the park, walking the dog, with your friends, old jobs. This network already knows you and can recommend you. Even on LinkedIn you're really just a stranger. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Well Done (+2) 1

On 2/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, Wrangeld said:

Many agencies apply computer scanning to filter the CVs. If you CV does not have the key words they are loking for, even if you are the best possible candidate in the world, you will be excluded by the automatic system  = genuine job, computer searches.

This one is pretty easy to bypass. Add a blank page to the end of your CV and put as many keywords as you can think of then change the text color to white. The computer reads it but a person won't see it so you have more change of getting through the system and having your CV seen by a real person.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Barry said:

This one is pretty easy to bypass. Add a blank page to the end of your CV and put as many keywords as you can think of then change the text color to white. The computer reads it but a person won't see it so you have more change of getting through the system and having your CV seen by a real person.

Anyone trying to work out the key words a great trick that I learned is to take the job post and put the whole advert into word cloud. The word cloud will tell you which are the most important terms for the prospective employer. Fill your CV, blank page and covering letter with these words and it may just get you past the computer screening.