•  
Advertise here

Life of Fuel vs CNG Fitted Vehicle

Asif Hussain

I am hunting for a used car and i came across a deal where the car has been running in CNG. I need expert advice "Does CNG reduces the engine life"

Vehicle: Nissan Xterra 2009 Model with 225000km on board. History not know whether it is used all the said kilometers with CNG or part of that. CNG kit is not included in the deal and my usage will be fuel and for off-roading to the extreme level.

• Like (+1) 3

LPG is a good option. In my country where petrol sometimes costs 8 dhs per litre, a lot of people who can’t afford to run a v8 convert to LPG. 

You automatically increase your octane rating to 100+ so no more issues with pinking/pre detonation ie you can modify your engine to make more horsepower easily without worrying about melting pistons or bending rods. HUGE TURBOS

LPG burns cooler so you have less overheating problems  

If you are thinking about buying a car with a LPG conversion, as long as the conversion has been done properly, it’s nothing to worry about. 

Extra horsepower is negligible unless you are planning mods that increase your compression ratio. But if it’s something to save money on MPG, go ahead

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

CNG fitment makes no difference on engine life, its same as petrol or diesel if that's the exact answer you are looking for.

Now firstly congrats on one step closer to your next offroad toy.

If its imported and not yet registered in UAE I will check the carfax paid version history first to make sure it's not flooded, accidental or stolen vehicle. I meant for major accident, minor ding dang is acceptable. 

If that passes on flying color then visual inspection of engine being a high mileage is first, then transmission, 4x4, diff, suspension etc.

If all goes well then shake it 50 times in negotiation as imported vehicle will never fetch any resale here in UAE and you should buy it with an expectation to drive until it dies mindset.

Waiting for you on Faya, now.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Confused (0) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

lpg and cng are both different and have different kits to run.

we dont have data here in this country but in Pakistan cng is a dry mix of gas which leads to engine top end rebuild down the road.

they have started to put oil in gas to prolong that situation but that in turn makes one more problem it introduces so much oil in the tanks that you have to regularly clean the tank as gas capacity drops.

you can't compress oil much and if that oil goes in to the kit diaphragm then rubber and oil usually is a bad story plus the engine builds up carbon because its now burning oil along with the mixture of cng gas 

Edited by shadow79
sentence structuring
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, shadow79 said:

lpg and cng are both different and have different kits to run we dont have data here in this country but in Pakistan cng is a dry mix of gas which leads to engine top end rebuild down the road they have started to put oil in gas to prolong that situation but that in turn makes one more problem it introduces so much oil in the tanks that you have to regularly clean the tank as gas capacity drops you can't compress oil much and if that oil goes in to the kit diaphragm then rubber and oil usually is a bad story

will you please explain more i am bit confused with your quote.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

2 hours ago, Asif Hussain said:

will you please explain more i am bit confused with your quote.

@Asif Hussain bhai which lines you want explained...i can elaborate for sure

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shadow79 said:

which lines you want explained...i can elaborate for sure

Fuel line that goes from your tank to the brain carrying green tea

• Haha (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

21 hours ago, Gaurav said:

CNG fitment makes no difference on engine life, its same as petrol or diesel if that's the exact answer you are looking for.

it sure does make a difference and the mixture burning content is far less then real fuel which also acts as a cooling and lubricant when entering the engine...

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, shadow79 said:

which lines you want explained...i can elaborate for sur

My question? If vehicle was used in CNG... is it worth to buy and push to its maximum as you know my purpose. I will be using as my weekend warrior in desert.

• Like (+1) 1

If it has been in both system then there shouldn't be much wear but if it's been only gas usage then you will find yourself doing engine overhaul later down the road.as problems associated with only gas usage engines are carbon build up, valve seat and guide wear,ring wear as these things don't get lubricated sufficiently.

As desert warriors have to be in peak condition anything less will not last...

If you can get history of the vehicle and or get a compression test done and see if the numbers you get compared with minimal and maximum from the manual of manufacturer...that way you can gauge where the engine is standing...

Other than engine nothing gets affected the rest of the drivetrain will age as usual...

Edited by shadow79
More info
  • Like (+1) 1