•  
Advertise here

Car Scratch Remover - Do It Yourself in minutes

Gaurav

Here's how you can remove the car paint scratches by yourself in few minutes, no matter how deep they are or how many they are.

In our last off-road drive, while moving the dead tree to help someone it flipped on my Pajero bonnet and its dry branches spoiled the whole paintwork.

It took me 1+1 hour in 2 days to achieve this result. I have never done such major car paint restoration job before but my bonnet was so badly destroyed that I had nothing to loose to try my hand first.

Pajero Scratch 1.jpg

Long ago, I used to polish all my cars once every year in winter, so I had those stuff lying around and thought of giving it a try before I drop the car for repaint - expensive and time consuming affair. I researched first on how to deal with deep scratches and then applied everything in layers.

Here is the whole process for removing scratches from car paint

1. Spray gun with water and 3-4 squirt of hand wash. Sprayed on entire bonnet generously with cotton towel and massaged the hood. Then used the scotch brite - fake one that has softer grit, as I compared both. You can also use 3000 grit sandpaper. I sprayed the soap water again and then started with gentle air touch scrubbing with fake scotch brite. Almost 20-25% scratches gone immediately, then applied very little scrubbing pressure on dark scratches and now they started to fade, but not gone.

2. Got the "Formula 1 Scratch out" and added some water in the bottle to dilute it. Dip the fake scotch brite and rub the scratches gently - first in straight line manner and then in swirls - both have its own use and importance so you will kill less of clear coat in deeper scratches. Left the first coat to dry and then scrub with dry towel and tons of elbow grease and 50% scratches were gone. Now I was really motivated and excited to see the instant results. Repeated the same on deeper scratches and after second round 90% were gone and I slept happy with big ear to ear smile.

3. Next day morning, went to get the daytime pictures and OMG half of the paint scratches were back, because when paint is fully dry the clear coat scratches comes back. So second day night, I took the "Formula 1 Carnuba Car Wax" and "black & decker waxer" to shake the hell out.

4. Now for the second day I didn't used scotch brite and used a soft cloth to apply scratch out liquid and scrub nicely from my hand until it literally disappeared. Did that on all stubborn scratches and again almost 90% were gone. Idea here is to keep using scratch out liquid until the scratches disappear or close to disappearing and don't overdo in one attempt. As every time you leave scratch out to dry and scrub again it fades the scratches more. So have patience and keep on repeating the steps until you are happy.

5. Last but not least the clear coat sealing that I literally scrubbed away so much that it might fade my paint soon. So got the carnuba wax on the damp applicator and applied generously on first round and let it dry for few minutes. Then use the waxer to polish the whole hood again and bring back to its shine and fixing almost 90% scratches. Done the second round of wax but this time used a very very thin layer of wax to apply by hand so that it can retain longer as oppose to thick layer, which was needed for initial sealing. After this thin layer dried, use the waxer again to polish and super happy with the smooth and silky feel and shine on my bruised hood. If you don't have waxer, it will take more of elbow grease and muscle and it's still perfectly achievable with little more time, that's it.

And yes, I checked today morning and still 90% scratches are gone and only 10% left which are break in paint or faded very deep that will be noticeable with one feet distance. I can live with this much for now and will see what next I can do.

Maybe next I was thinking of sourcing same paint to cover the paint crack and then apply clear coat can, but need a paint booth for that or any closed area where dust won't settle in clear coat. Let's see what happen and Ill keep updating the progress here.

Pajero Scratch 2.jpg

Pajero Scratch 3.jpg

THINGS I USED

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-24 at 8.12.22 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-24 at 9.41.07 AM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Great job on the paint job, but the tread blocks on your front tyres are wearing unevenly. Pity you can't polish that away:-D

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

@Brette Mr. Detailing expert, please advise if this paint is gone or clear coat is gone?

20190930_084242.jpg

• WOW (+2) 1

Latest update: I have ordered the Rustoleum clear coat can and a touch up pen for fixing the last 10%.

Touch up pen was too dark, as I tested on one deep scratch and stopped.

Clear coat backfired badly, although I have researched and watch tons of video on how to use it properly but still I failed. Spray Can was delivering the mist and big load randomly and dripping all over the hood. Hours later my hood ended up looking like a faded paint to have uneven patches of clear coat all around. Tried fixing that with scratch out polish and grinder, no benefit and after a while I give up as the damage was way beyond DIY scope. Btw according to web review people love rustoleum product and company claims that you can use their new technology can in any angle (even upside down) for consistent finish :-(

Lesson learn: I should have tested the spray can on wooden or metal piece first and let it dry to notice that uneven delivery and dripping problem to return the defective can.

Yesterday I dropped the car to paint shop in Aweer for full repaint of the hood, hopefully I will get it by tomorrow.

image.png

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-07 at 5.34.39 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2