•  
Advertise here

What is your best 4 hobbies?

Derick

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

A lot of light pollution around. My last visit to Qua was good but light pollution is catching up wherever infrastructure closes in.Using the light pollution map is very important. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/6/2019 at 6:07 PM, Barry said:

Where do you go for a good view of the stars? That’s one thing I miss from home. In the city you’re lucky if you can see Venus and maybe 3-4 bright stars. At home I go out my back door and I can see the Milky Way clearly. On a good night you can get a glimpse of the northern light. 

http://hiddengemblog.com/2018/11/stargazing-at-al-quaa-desert-darkest-spot-in-uae/.   
A 2018 article.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The location mentioned in the article is actually quite far from Al-Quaa, on Razeen Rd. 

Here is another spot referenced on Google maps and easily accessible by road : « AL Quaa Milky way Spot »
Unnamed Road - Abu Dhabi
https://goo.gl/maps/7X9jqFxJeJaL1kwT6
In this area especially, it’s not recommended to venture off-road if you’re not an intermediate level driver - and of course, never alone, at least 3 cars. The sabkhas, not only the dunes, might be a danger : they look perfectly harmless, because all flat, but you can get stuck after a few hundred meters with no obvious reason. It almost happened to me once in this area. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Emmanuel said:

The location mentioned in the article is actually quite far from Al-Quaa, on Razeen Rd. 

Here is another spot referenced on Google maps and easily accessible by road : « AL Quaa Milky way Spot »
Unnamed Road - Abu Dhabi
https://goo.gl/maps/7X9jqFxJeJaL1kwT6
In this area especially, it’s not recommended to venture off-road if you’re not an intermediate level driver - and of course, never alone, at least 3 cars. The sabkhas, not only the dunes, might be a danger : they look perfectly harmless, because all flat, but you can get stuck after a few hundred meters with no obvious reason. It almost happened to me once in this area. 

I tried taking photo on this spot before. It is a good location. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, Mikhail Lukichev said:

Empty quarter is the best place being the darkest in the UAE! 😃

Not really, as you can see on the the light pollution map sent by @Fred https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=6.779569363430645&lat=2642784&lon=6010985&layers=B0TFFFFFFFFFF

The best area (which is huge) is located between Al-Aïn and Liwa : Wagan, Al-Quaa, Umm al-Oush, etc. 

That said, there are many many good reasons to go to Liwa, first of all, the stunning views. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

• 3 weeks later...

My 4 top hobbies at the moment, I have to say they change in priority with time and I have more then 4, but I’ll keep it to the top 4.

- Flying (planes, also professional)

- Driving (karting, and offroading as a new one)

- Backgammon

- Diving

Edited by Xaf
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Top 4 in My list 

-> offroading with carnity has to be on top of the list. (sacrified thursday eve plans :-)) Cars and motorikes have been a very strong influence  even while i was growing up, miss riding motorbike here getting a  licence is  major pain..... 

->Table Tennis and Squash are sports i love to play, have been playing both for almost 18 years . P.S Cricket is religion and not a hobby

-> Mountain biking  at  fewbie level here . have done green and blue trails at MTB hatta mountain trail . choice of Bike is K2

-> Gaming, both mobile gaming and console gaming ( current playing mobile legends and pubg on mobile and uncharted 4 on PS all time favorite game is god of war)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2