•  

Absolute Newbie/Newbie drive Maliha 4 Oct

Rahimdad

Hi Gaurav,

I drive a 2011 Land Rover Discovery 4, recently gone through full maintenance. I also ust upgraded my road tires to Cooper LTZs for better traction and installed a 2.5 inch lift kit. I do have some desert driving and rock crawling experience. I have been on the sand 2-3 times since I moved to Dubai in June. 

I will take the plastic covers off before our ride on Friday to make sure that front and back hooks are easy to reach.

I will complete all the required gear in upcoming weeks before the start of my 10 day Oman trip on 25th of October. So for the next drives, I will have all of them.

Cheers

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Hi,

Driving a LC200, everything maintained. 2” lift.

Pulled this week a few times friends of mine out of the sand, tow hooks are in good shape.

Did a few desert drives last month, thats the only experience I have.

I have a walkie talkie, the rest I still have to buy.

What is the thread size of the off road flags? Tried to google, but can’t find it.

Xaf

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Halit Mert Issever thanks for the intro and your suction clamp is perfectly fine to hold the flag and they do work as intended. Only thing I may advise is to move up to rear glass window for better suction grip and increase height for better visibility. There are tons of offroaders here happily living with suction cup since many years because they don't like to drill hole, so its no big deal.

@Xaf thanks for the intro, making a permanent adapter might take bit of patience and few trip to turning shop or repair workshop who understand and fabricate what you really want. All flagpoles are of different sizing, I think AOR has 10-12mm thread, I think @Emmanuel can confirm that as he is using AOR flag, if Im not mistaken.

Your LR4 and LC200 are pretty powerful, so be careful on first few drives and learn the off-roading skills rather than depending on the gas pedal alone. Do listen to newbie brief with undivided attention for understanding on how to tackle the dunes safely and also clearing the myths. Im glad both of your 4x4 has 2inch lift as that's the Achilles heel for most modern 4x4 but still learn the perfect speed to descend for saving the front bumper, this comes with bit of practice and after 10-15 dunes descend you will be in perfect sync.

Hope to hear from @Adam Marston soon too.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I'll see you guys tomorrow with @Adam Marston (he'll introduce himself soon, really busy week for us at work) I still need to get the flag hooked up to my patrol. I'll be sure to get it sorted before next drive :-). see you.

Edited by tjsingh
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Gaurav

Hi and thanks for the welcome. I'm driving a '14 Wrangler with 2.5 Inch lift. I have most of the gear incl. snatch straps, bow shackles, flag, winch, tire deflator, compressor. I have previous experience 4x4ing in Canada, but have only been in the dunes 5 times. Looking to learn all about it!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Welcome @Adam Marston, I love your attitude already, @Gaurav bhai and I have been off-roading here for over 25 years combined and we still learning from everyone we come across. Would love to learn a few tricks from you too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:48 AM, Boney John said:

ok . let me see . thanks for the tip 

@Boney Johnohn if you have not yet been able to remove the rear aluminium bumper lip, don't worry. Join the drive, and I will give you a hand in the morning. Should take about 10 mins

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:32 AM, Boney John said:

hi, 

I have a 2012 LWB pajero 3.5, Completely stock, no skid plates,not lifted or even offroad tyres. Do u think I can manage . Its my first time .

I also had the same thoughts a year back when I started my desert driving. A year later now I still have everything stock except the tire which I changed in march as original wore out. I could have been a on an intermediate level by now but unfortunately i couldn't join all the drives due to odd working hours. But still I am a Fewbie thanks to @Rahimdad @Gaurav bhais and a companion like @Srikumar

Listen respect and obey what the marshals say and you will surely enjoy your ride. See you tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Srikumar said:

@Boney Johnohn if you have not yet been able to remove the rear aluminium bumper lip, don't worry. Join the drive, and I will give you a hand in the morning. Should take about 10 mins

I will help him out no worries

• Like (+1) 4

It's good to see that you guys had a smooth ride with a good crowd. I was sad that I could not make it. @Rahimdad bhai the thermos was ready for a fill with Karak Chai, the boot was loaded with the compressor, soft shackles and kinetic rope, the hummus was in the fridge and the radio fully charged...the only thing that was set incorrectly was the alarm😒..

While I dreamt of getting stuck on the first dune and pouring tea for my brothers-in-arms (Carnitybros) you guys were already rolling through Maliha. Cannot put into words what it felt like when one is looking forward to sliding on the dunes and waking up with sunlight on the face.

Anyways, I will finish the humus and hope to join the next ride.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Sad (0) 2

Important Information

Terms of use