•  
Advertise here

Spark Plugs for Cherokee XJ 1997 4.0 - Which make to choose?

Hi,

Need some help with the spark plugs. Its time for me to change them and when I checked the market, they informed that the OEM (Mopar) is available for AED 75 (for set of 6) and those made by Champion is available for AED 45 (for set of 6). But what I have understood is that Mopar spark plugs are either made by Champion or NGK. Any inputs? 

Ofcourse, the safe option would be to go with the Mopar spark plugs, but is this just a case that the same manufacturer when branded under OEM becomes more expensive?

• Like (+1) 1

Find alternate number in platinum plugs and get those and be done for long life plus better stronger spark for optimum combustion to release close to actual ponies what it supposed to have in 97.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Get the Bosch 4 pin platinums. A bit pricey but worth it. You'll feel the difference.

I put them in my Land Cruiser and who ever drove it asked if I had done any mods like getting it chipped or headers.

• Like (+1) 1

@desertdude did you happen to try to Bosch platinum plugs on your XJ. The reason why I am asking is that in that most of the US forums they have mentioned that the 4.0 and bosch platinum plugs dont go together. Some of the comments have been that in the initial period bosch plugs worked ok, but after about 5000 km they started facing rough idle, and also when they checked the spark plugs there was carbon buildup. They recommend to go with the Champion / NGK / OEM Copper Plugs especially the 4.0

With the temperature conditions varying from the US, wanted to get a local perspective. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Srikumar said:

@desertdude did you happen to try to Bosch platinum plugs on your XJ. The reason why I am asking is that in that most of the US forums they have mentioned that the 4.0 and bosch platinum plugs dont go together. Some of the comments have been that in the initial period bosch plugs worked ok, but after about 5000 km they started facing rough idle, and also when they checked the spark plugs there was carbon buildup. They recommend to go with the Champion / NGK / OEM Copper Plugs especially the 4.0

With the temperature conditions varying from the US, wanted to get a local perspective. 

Nah, only on the LC. Didn't keep the sheep long enough that it required plugs. Go with forum wisdom on this one. And it happens very often that regular bits are the same as aftermarket just in manufacturer packing. Might be worth it with big ticket or pricier items but when there is a price difference of just 30dhs than just go with the OEM stuff. 

Like Range Rover Sport OEM brake pads are made by a company called textar and even the pads themself have textar branding on them but if you buy them in a LR box vs a Textar box there is a difference of over a 100dhs in such cases I would say go with the aftermarket bits 

• Like (+1) 1