•  
Advertise here

Honda Accord 2012 reducing Engine Oil

Dear Friends,

Honda Accord 2012 is reducing engine oil - this is what I was told upon last oil change from Adnoc Lube Sharjah.

I use "Adnoc Voyager Silver Semi-Synthetic 10W/40" which is rated to stay for 7000KM. My vehicle took around 6 months to make it to 7000KM after which I went for oil change. 

Additional FYI, that my vehicle recently passed RTA test and there is no smoke what-so-ever from the engine.

Compared to Toyota Corolla 2009 (my last car), I also feel that my Accord 2012 is bit sluggish at start when take off at a signal but later it's good. And I heard from mechanics that initial run of HONDAs are always bit slower than TOYOTAs.

Any recommendations on how to deal with this engine oil reduction?

• Like (+1) 2

Firstly for Honda Accord the recommended engine oil grade is 5w-30 and not 10w-40. It's better to use full synthetic grade. 

Have you noticed any oil leaks where you have parked your vehicle? And by how much has the oil reduced in level?

• Like (+1) 3

Engine oil reduction and acceleration "could be" totally different issues. Let's nail it one by one, first with oil reduction.

What is the current color of Adnoc oil? I highly recommend what Sri said to stick to OEM oil grade for safe bet.

Is oil reduction very recent or regularly happening, as when you use 7,000 kms oil its better to change slightly early at 6K than squeezing the last breath of any brand engine oil. If oil reduction is happened in last 1000 kms then its fine, and every engine oil break down over six month and 7000 kms usage, if its few 100 ml. If reduction is huge, then something else is involved for sure.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Looks to be a Honda too in this video. Our Hack Mechanic Scotty Kilmer mentioned a defective PCV valve. 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

6 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Looks to be a Honda too in this video. Our Hack Mechanic Scotty Kilmer mentioned a defective PCV valve. 

Nooooo.......not Scotty...phuleeez!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Thank you guys; just to respond your queries that there is no leakage, I tried Castrol 5w-30 grade earlier but it got reduced too, oil reduces around more than half a liter. 

If it is normal in every other Honda, then it's fine - I can live with it as I don't face any other issue.

I 'll take care of changing it a bit early. 

• Like (+1) 2

As per Honda service schedule, if you are using full synthetic 5w-30, you need to change it in intervals of 10,000 kms only. I think a 500 ml drop in oil level is not a major concern and you can carry an extra one litre with you and top up as and when needed. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Castrol 5w-30 I tried was to be changed at 10K KMS but I found it decreasing oil level too.

I am using Adnoc Voyager Silver Semi-Synthetic 10W/40 (a bit yellowish in color) in my vehicles since 2012 and don't have any complaints in any other car even if I hit a 100KM more than the scheduled mileage. So, I don't think changing oil to HONDA Engine Oil would make a big difference. 

• Like (+1) 1