•  
Advertise here

How to know when is the time to change the Shocks and suspension and what are the tell tale signs of it ageing

jibransayed

Hello everyone.

I wanted to know how to figure out if the suspension is going bad and weak ?

What are its tell tale signs and at what intervals it might need to be replaced ?

How crucial this component is and what happens if it fails suddenly on or off road ?

what are the options of replacing it apart from agency ?

How to avoid suspensions going bad any specific driving advice ?

How to diagnose its current condition ?

looking forward for best answers especially from @Gaurav @Rahimdad @Emmanuel @Srikumar

• Like (+1) 3

First of all congrats @jibransayed for the longest title yet for a thread.

Regarding the suspensions you will feel the lag or bounce when you drive or when you are going over a speed bump. Best is to get OEM, have to check if they are firm. I got lucky with a suspension shop in Sharjah who had some lying around from a Japanese import. They were hardly used and once I changes I immediately felt the difference.

If you're looking for long term off roading than some after market ones like king shocks or old man emu will do you good. They are stiffer and offer you better traction off road, however they will kill your back on the road.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

1 hour ago, Rahimdad said:

First of all congrats @jibransayed for the longest title yet for a thread.

Regarding the suspensions you will feel the lag or bounce when you drive or when you are going over a speed bump. Best is to get OEM, have to check if they are firm. I got lucky with a suspension shop in Sharjah who had some lying around from a Japanese import. They were hardly used and once I changes I immediately felt the difference.

If you're looking for long term off roading than some after market ones like king shocks or old man emu will do you good. They are stiffer and offer you better traction off road, however they will kill your back on the road.

Oldman emu kills our back. Totally agree with it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

For any suspension upgrade or repair, you need to decide and share on this basic question first:

• Only for off-road
  • Only for Tarmac
  • Mix usage - daily driver + weekend off-road
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Easiest way to test shock absorbers without shaker plates is to look at the top of the shock where the rod comes out. If there is oil on it, you need to change it. Next step is press hard on each corner of the car and bounce it up and down 4/5 times. A bad shock will keep bouncing after you stop pushing it up and down, a good one won’t bounce. 

• Like (+1) 5

Suspension is not only about shocks but about all other parts as well. 

Shortly, it depends. Simple suspension could easy to diagnose, more complicated ones are not that simple. 

I suggest to pay a visit to some independent mechanic just to check the suspension. It should not be expensive and should take around 10-20 minutes of your time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1