•  
Advertise here

New Defender

28 minutes ago, sertac said:

If they dont have complicated and expensive air suspension on it, it seemed fine to me. 

Well EAS is the new norm for all modern luxury cars to keep recurring expense on the name of consumables to make regular money after selling the cars.

I drove my older Range with EAS and then with regular springs and felt less than 10% difference on road comfort but 10000% cheaper, bomb proof, reliable and peace of mind than to listen for beep beep beep in the middle of the road. It was the most annoying nightmare of that Range, I had.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

4 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Well EAS is the new norm for all modern luxury cars to keep recurring expense on the name of consumables to make regular money after selling the cars.

I drove my older Range with EAS and then with regular springs and felt less than 10% difference on road comfort but 10000% cheaper, bomb proof, reliable and peace of mind than to listen for beep beep beep in the middle of the road. It was the most annoying nightmare of that Range, I had.

And how many issues with your new Range Rover EAS ?  

4 hours ago, sertac said:

If they dont have complicated and expensive air suspension on it, it seemed fine to me. 

And how many cars with air suspension have you owned and driven? A new air spring is not that expensive anymore. And having variable height is a big plus in an off road car.

Plus for old farts who are afraid of advancement there is also the option for regular could springs and even steel wheels from the factory

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, desertdude said:

And how many issues with your new Range Rover EAS ?  

None, so as in Porsche Cayenne (None).

I agree for offroad adjustable height is good, but its reliability and cost should be inline with the benefits too.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

None, so as in Porsche Cayenne (None).

I agree for offroad adjustable height is good, but its reliability and cost should be inline with the benefits too.

I've seen coil springs break too. So nothing is fool proof. And nowadays it's not that expensive. You can have a side rebagged for 500dhs with 3 months warranty. Or a totally new strut for around a 1000. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, desertdude said:

I've seen coil springs break too.

Yes I recently broke a spring on my Pajero after 20 years out of which 9 years was ONLY offroad. (300 dhs).

In old Range I changed Air Suspension twice in two year. (4K/Year) (80K for 20 year).

Now, you get me point when I mean reliability, long-life and cost effective.

It's a profit center for car manufacturer. Period.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Yes I recently broke a spring on my Pajero after 20 years out of which 9 years was ONLY offroad. (300 dhs).

In old Range I changed Air Suspension twice in two year. (4K/Year) (80K for 20 year).

Now, you get me point when I mean reliability, long-life and cost effective.

It's a profit center for car manufacturer. Period.

The old P38 is a bad comparison. Tech was new then and more than hardware the software was the issue. And that is what really gave Range Rover s a bad reputation of unreliability.

Now even sedans are riding on air and air susp tech has come a long way since then. 

I have friends who haven't changed their bags since 2002. Still riding on the original bags the car came with from factory.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm going to jump in on this. 

Part of the reason air suspension used to get a bad reputation when it first came out is because it was so new. When it went wrong, the mechanics on the ground didn't know how to repair it so it became a main dealer job. Things got expensive fast. Now it's easy. People know how it works and its not complicated. Its just a compressor, controller, valve block and 4 air bags. Sounds simple doesn't it? Because it is. But back then people were scared because they didn't understand it. Remember when fuel injection became a thing instead of carburetors? Its the same. People don't like to accept new technology.

Air suspension isn't overly expensive to repair if you know what you're doing and can diagnose the problem. Even an idiot like me can order a repair kit online and rebuild a complicated looking air suspension setup. Shit, the instructions are even in the box.

I know a lot of people swear by shocks and springs. Their 20 year old car is still running on the original springs. I know people with 40+ year old cars running on original springs. Yes. But look at new cars, a spring can break after 3-4 years. This is all down to the quality of the steel used. Go a few years back and the springs were made from fresh virgin metal. Now the metal has been recycled and recycled and mixed so many times it has lost its purity. Thats why old cars are still running their original springs and new car springs break after 3-4 years.

For a race car id always choose adjustable shocks and springs but for everyday driving, id have airbags. the ride quality is like night and day.

• Like (+1) 1