•  

My First Experience as Newbie

Rahimdad

With a 10 years experience in off-roading I have learned from my seniors to part the knowledge I have gained from them and from my experiences so that driving in the sands is a safer bet. I have always enjoyed coming across like minded people who want to learn and step up to learn and practice driving in the sands safely. In turn the best part is that I get to learn from all the newbies every time. As a part of this growth I would like my off-roading buddys to share their experience with me so I can get better at the sport I love and can offer a more competent and complete set of training.

I have designed the below set of questions which would help everyone to share their experience in a structured way. You may copy and paste these questions to the reply page and type out your answers from your experience. I will start by sharing my experiences with all.

How much did you enjoy your first drive?

What did you enjoy about the drive?

Which part of the drive you think you enjoyed the best which you would like to repeat?

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way? Do you think anything elese could be added to the lecture?

Do you think prior reading material would help?

Would you know where on the Carnity forum you would be able to find the information you are looking for?

Is there anything you think could be done in a better way?

How do you suggest to make things better for the new comers?

How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided?

Thank you all

• Like (+1) 1

My first drive came after 6 months of reading all kinds of material on off-roading, although I knew exactly what was written in the books, everything seemed fresh to me and my first drive was fearful.

I enjoyed learning from the experience, seeing everything I had read for 6 months come and present a challenge to me, I needed my peers to get through that first experience.

Which part of the drive you think you enjoyed the best which you would like to repeat?

I enjoyed the concept as a whole and wanted to learn more and more and got more comfortable with time, I enjoyed it so much I have been repeating the experience week after week for over 10 years now.

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way? Do you think anything else could be added to the lecture?

I always felt that even if I knew what was to be done a driver's brief in the beginning helped revise the rules to be followed and gives you a sense of the day's proceedings and keeps you focused.

It helped me to read everything about off-roading for 6 months, but nothing replicates the experience.

Would you know where on the Carnity forum you would be able to find the information you are looking for?

Although i know where to find the information, I am trying to index it in a way where it could be easier to find, any suggestions will be very helpful.

What I do is because I think it is the best way to learn, but I need constructive criticism to better myself.

Any suggestions are most welcome, I am trying to do the best I can from my experience.

How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided?

I thank Carnity for this opportunity as there are many things I have learned from all my fellow off-roaders in the past one year.

• Like (+1) 5

-More than i could imagine.

-Fossil Rock:-D

-Fossil Rock:-D

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way? Do you think anything else could be added to the lecture?

-Everything good. I learned everything from you guys. I can see i got good education.

-Practice is better.

-Yes i am.

-Radio can be must for even newbies.

-I think our group is friendly and helpful and thats what a newbie can expect. 

-Current atmosphere is good for learning. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hi Rahimdad,

Great idea and I'm pleased to assist.

Very much, It was something I had wanted to learn for a long time. I had looked at many sites on the internet to find a club which welcomed Newbies.

The different levels you experience from a drive. The refusals, how to rock your way out of a situation when the vehicle gets stuck and learning how to keep momentum.

That is difficult to answer being a newbie and only two rides. Honestly, I enjoyed the whole experience and I'm looking forward to joining the club on more drives once I return to Dubai. 

Myself, the lecture is the perfect, information is given to all. If anybody has a question, it is answered. The drive route is explained and the terrain. Then off you go for a few hours of testing your skills off-road in a safe and controlled manner.

Personally no. Myself I like to be hands on. Practical experience is a great teacher, which is why I am looking forward to more drives with the club. 

I have never had any problems navigating the website. To myself, its intuitive and works.

At the moment I have no suggestions, however should anything change I will gladly advise.

A flash drive with the information available from the website would be good. Every Newbie should be aware of the basics, flag, basics tools to deflate tyres, inflate tyres, etc. To carry water, etc. Things others take for granted.

None as I see at present, there again I only two drives. But I will say I enjoyed both immensely.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My newbie experience was year ago…. “Go Desert” was my dream and with carnity it was my first drive.

My first drive was from Mahafiz to Fossil Rock and it was one of my best experience and I shared every move I took with my daughter and wife again and again till I attended my second drive after two weeks.

Briefing and making me comfortable before the drive.

It was descend from fossil rock.

For me lecture and practical was a good experience and lecture can’t be shorter because there are many points which should be explained in detail and to be focused before drive begins.

YES, prior reading is very important. It will help you a lot and I have full of notes saved in my mobile and I still keep reading it again and again no matter how much off-road experience I have.

Yes I know and page is friendly designed.

Nothing in my mind now and I would definitely advice if required.

Preparing your vehicle: Condition of the tyres, water level in the cooling system, engine oil and gear oil level, hydraulic clutch and brake reservoirs and spare tyres

Basic Safety Equipment’s: Shovel, Flag, 2way Radio and Basic Tools (car jack, wheel spanner)

Willingness to learn

Edited by Asif Hussain
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

How much did you enjoy your first drive ?

My first time was in January, at Pink Rock + Big Red. I was feeling a little bit anxious before we moved, as it was my first real experience on dunes (after only a few drives off the tracks) and I didn’t have a clue about how difficult it would be : will I get stuck, break my car, etc. But thanks to Gaurav’s, Rahimdad’s and everybody’s help, it has just been fun and very exciting.

What did you enjoy about the drive ?

- safe adrenaline

- precious advices

- gradual difficulty of the ride 

- friendly atmosphere

Which part of the drive you think you enjoyed the best which you would like to repeat ?

When you are faced with a difficult crossing and you ask yourself : Really ? I will do this ? And before you find the answer, you discover that you just made it.   

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way ?

To my opinion, it was OK. The first lecture is never a waste of time.

Do you think anything else could be added to the lecture?

Not really, considering the many opportunities we have to ask questions during the day.

Do you think prior reading material would help ?

I agree with Richard and Sertac, nothing can replace practice, however it could be useful for all newbies to have a short document, I mean one page, summarizing a few basic rules (for security), prior to the first drive.

Yes.

Is there anything you think could be done in a better way ?

I will think about it…

How do you suggest to make things better for the new comers ?

For my first drive, I didn’t have a walkie-talkie yet, and I must admit that sometime I felt a bit lost and « lonely ». For that reason, I would recommend to all the absolute newbies to buy one before their first ride.

How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided ?

The more I will drive the more I will learn.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

-Absolutely enjoyed it. It was slight more than a year ago, and the tranquility of the desert away from the city tension ensured that I joined in for as many drives as possible during the past year.

- The patience and enthusiasm showed by the Marshals, in training Absolute Newbies. As a Newbie and especially in a new group, you have a fear of not doing well and causing either a delay in the convoy. Gaurav and Rahim not only ensured that they helped us along the way but also developed a bonding and team spirit which is very clearly visible in all our Carnity Drives. I personally enjoy the company of the people in the Carnity drive as much as the drive itself.

-It didn’t happen on the first drive, but I enjoy being a part of the sweep team to help out those who had refusals or were stuck.

In terms of the best moment (which I would not want to repeat), it was the time when we had to unlock Sertac’s car with a flag pole. The joy of achieving that without having to break the glass was fantastic. It emphasized the team spirit that we have in our Drives.

- I prefer to refer it as driver briefing rather than the word ‘lecture’. The briefing was very informative especially for a newbie drive on how to go up and down a sand dune. Important lessons that still remain fresh are 1. Never Fight Gravity, 2. Straight up and Straight Down, 3. Momentum is your friend, 4. Convoy Discipline

Our briefing is quite comprehensive. I would only suggest some reading material for the newbies signing up for the drives so that they know what to expect in the desert

- I personally tend to read a lot so I do prefer reading material. But it’s important what material you read. I had been to a couple of Gulf News fun drive about 4 years ago, and based on some misleading information that I read on the internet and in the Mistsubishi owner manual, I was driving on 4 Low for the entire drive and had a transmission overheating issue. So It would be nice to see a nice writeup especially for Absolute Newbies who have no knowledge of desert driving. Even after I joined the Carnity drives I used to drive in 4 HLc (with central diff loack) for a few drives when I could have very well managed with 4H and 2H on dirt tracks. I learnt this during the desert training sessions conducted last May. This writeup can be used even as a reference for people who just visit Carnity website for getting know how on desert driving.

- Yes                                       

- I agree with some of the other people's suggestions that Radios would definitely help in a Newbie Drive. Also, I suggest having more frequent desert training sessions similar to that conducted by Gaurav last year. It taught us a lot of new things especially on self recovery with a shovel.

-  Covered some suggestions in the above points and plus a session on self recovery. How one should control the throttle and steering wheel when one is stuck is something that is not easy to learn and some practice over there would definitely help.

-  We always learn something new in each drive, be it a newbie drive or an intermediate drive. The most important thing that I have learnt is that if you are in a bad position it’s important to take a step back and think what are the options available instead of panicking and doing something stupid that could worsen the situation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Gaurav featured this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It equal parts fun and learning

Welcoming atmosphere with good challenges

The whole drive :)

Yes, will let you know if anything comes to mind later

Not necessarily.

Yes, fairly simple and straight forward

Will think about this.

Radio and flag should be considered important

Sky is the limit :)

• Like (+1) 3

Cannot explain in words. It was really something I wanted learn for a long long time. And with Carnity my long awaited Dream Came True. Not a club but the best family of off-roaders.

The convoy management, different levels of drive and The ultimate guide to keep momentum.

The whole experience was amazing and definitely looking forward to join another available ride for my level determined by the Lead.

Briefing was perfect. All the questions were answered.

I have watched many tutorials and read many articles but when I got initial Briefing of the drive by the Lead that was the moment for my actual understanding. So a big NO!!!

Its very easy to navigate.

to my experience not at all. Whatever and how it is ... its perfect.

I just did one ride with group and gained a lot of confidence, for sure If i keep on following with this group and the opportunities provided i will be a good, confident off-roader.

• Like (+1) 2

• adildbx changed the title to My First Experience as Newbie
  • Gaurav pinned this topic

Important Information

Terms of use