•  
Advertise here

power steering leak on Xterra

Friday morning after our drive in Sweihan, we noticed a redish oil leak on the ground under my Xterra model X 2012 (driver side). Our first thought with @Gaurav and @Javier M was transmission fluid, but after checking the level, color and smell, it seemed OK. Then I noticed that the steering fluid was lower than normal. The car is running totally normal and I don't have any light signal on my dashboard. Yesterday I took it for a quick visit to a mechanic and, after confirming it was power steering related, he told me that I have to change the PS rack - which is quite expensive. I would like to ask the experts here : does a steering fluid leak really require to change the all rack ? Could it be only joints or rubbers for example ? I know it's hard to answer without seeing the car, but in theory ?                          

• Like (+1) 1

Steering rack can be rebuild, last year trailblazer steering rack leaked due to winching when tires were pointing in the other direction.

I think it costed me 600 dhs, can't rem exact amount. Two months later it leaked again and the guy who rebuild it, fixed again without any additional charges as rebuild had 3 or 6 months guarantee, i paid for labor only for the second time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Rebuilding always depends on how badly worn the parts are in the rack they open it up then tell if it can be repaired and is the best and cheapest option with the guarantee backing the work it's a peace of mind

I sent my ravs steering box and they gave me the wonderful news of that it's broke inside so can't be repaired I had to get another used one with guarantee but had to change few racks before I got a good one ultimately wasting time energy and costs...as those used racks are sitting from God knows how long so as you fix it and steering pump pressure comes it starts to leak...

• Thanks (+1) 1